Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transferring contacts from an old sim to a microsim

• 22-07-2020 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭

I got my father an android phone because he wants to learn and stay connected, but I'm seeing one major headache. He has an old Nokia type phone with buttons, not sure exactly but he only got it about two years ago, I doubt it has much or any Internet access. The new phone will need a new smaller type sim - is there anyway I could transfer all contacts between the two? Otherwise it'd literally be hours

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Tig98 wrote: »
    I got my father an android phone because he wants to learn and stay connected, but I'm seeing one major headache. He has an old Nokia type phone with buttons, not sure exactly but he only got it about two years ago, I doubt it has much or any Internet access. The new phone will need a new smaller type sim - is there anyway I could transfer all contacts between the two? Otherwise it'd literally be hours

Copy all the sim contacts on the old sim to the internal memory of the old Nokia. Then put the new sim into the Nokia and transfer them onto that. The new sim will usually come with an adapter to make it big enough to fit in the old Nokia.
    When you get a new phone, all the contacts can be copied to the new phone from the new sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Any of the phone shops will have a sim cutter which will cut a sim into a nano sim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Depending on the model, some non smart Nokia's can be connected to a PC (via USB or Bluetooth) to download phone book/contacts.

Alternatively transfer contacts to SIM, then find an Android with a slot that the SIM fits into and then export the contacts from SIM to a VCF file which can be transferred to new phone and imported into contacts.

Cutting a Mini SIM to a Micro SIM size is straightforward.

Cutting a Mini SIM to Nano SIM size might be a little trickier and IMO better to get a new SIM from your network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭POBox19

Most sim cards come on card which allows the user to to pick the size required from a standard sim, micro or nano.
    Take a close look at the existing SIM Card, it may already be scored out for the smaller sizes, these are very fine lines engraved around the sim chip. If so, once you've got all the numbers on the sim you'll be able to remove the card and snap out the nano sim and fit it into the new phone. N.B. you may not be able to refit the card into the old phone without some sort of adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The Orb wrote: »
    Any of the phone shops will have a sim cutter which will cut a sim into a nano sim

Do not try and cut an older sim into a nano SIM you'll break it the contacts are different sizes.
    He needs a sim exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Thanks for the great advice lads, I'll try the non invasive ways first before resizing the sim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Tig98 wrote: »
    Thanks for the great advice lads, I'll try the non invasive ways first before resizing the sim

Go into contacts settings on the Nokia if he has too many numbers you won't be able to put them on the one sim, depending on his sim it's probably capped at 250 contacts, if he has more than that you'll need extra blank sims to get all the numbers off it. You may be able to Bluetooth them all as contact file as well.
    You'll need to go into a shop they'll move the contacts from the old sim to a new replacement one (these are free, and you may need more than one if he has over 250 contacts)
    Put all the new sims into the new phone and move the contacts to the new phone and copy them to Google cloud so he can't lose his contacts even if he loses or brakes the phone).
    Don't attempt to cut that sim you'll loose all his contacts, it can't be done, you can go from full size old sim to micro but not to nano, don't attempt to cut it yourself, I'm advising against cutting it at all just get a new replacement sim.)

Can anyone direct me how to order a new sim on the vodafone webite?

Im driven absolutely quare trying to find it. The vodafone website doesnt provide a direct link to it, and in the FAQ page only says click "Device and Sim" on the homepage which I cant see anywhere :confused:

Can anyone direct me how to order a new sim on the vodafone webite?

Select a plan and follow the page through to the shopping cart...
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans.html

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Select a plan and follow the page through to the shopping cart...
    https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans.html

Ah sorry, I was a bit vague. He's already on Vodafone and not changing plan or number or anything, I want to order a new smaller sim that will fit an android phone

• Advertisement

Advertisement