Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Enyaq

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

EV route is a bit of a double edged sword. I got one which was/is great, and is saving me a nice bit, but now I won't go back to ICE, and we will need a bigger car, so my options are limited, and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

Quite a lot of them are Range Rovers, or similar (as the rental companies say:D).

It is OT and a whole different question, but yeah, loads of new Range Rovers in South Dublin and Kildare that have never touched a field. Still, the RR is a status / comfort car for people earning 100k plus. For the masses, we have Qashqai, Stonic, Tucson, etc. Looking at the school gates and houses outside, though, I would say people carriers and hatchbacks are still more popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Still, the RR is a status / comfort car for people earning 100k plus.

jaysus youd want to be well north of 100k :p the RR P400e is 133k in base spec :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

markpb wrote: »
    You're assuming the only reason people buy EVs is to save money.

No, I'm assuming people only buy Skoda's to save money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

EV route is a bit of a double edged sword. I got one which was/is great, and is saving me a nice bit, but now I won't go back to ICE, and we will need a bigger car, so my options are limited, and expensive.

Have you considered the Ioniq 5? It won't be out until next autumn, apparently, but it looks like it will give the enyaq/id4 a serious run for their money (even if you only believe about half the guff on the t'interweb about it so far).

• Advertisement

pdpmur wrote: »
    Have you considered the Ioniq 5? It won't be out until next autumn, apparently, but it looks like it will give the enyaq/id4 a serious run for their money (even if you only believe about half the guff on the t'interweb about it so far).

Not heard nor read about it. Autumn might be too far away. We'll see how our ioniq goes for us for as long as we can, but range and space are limiting factors.

Also, ioniq 5 would mean buying from kearys Hyundai, and I've had nothing but bad experience with them. I've vowed never again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭vectra

dodgerooni wrote: »
    Is there a skoda enyaq coupe coming out next year also? Based on the skoda vision iv concept? Can anyone clarify this. If so it would be a beautiful car based on the pictures online.

Maybe you are thinking of the
    Cupra Formentor?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

vectra wrote: »
    Cupra Formentor?

Their have been spyshots of the Enyaq Coupe versions, at one point there was a concept from Cupra called the Tavascan which would be the Cupra ID.4/Enyaq equivalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭traco

Cupra Formentor?

I like the look of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Prices officially launched today. EV news quiet now in middle of Level 5 phase.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/skoda-confirms-irish-prices-for-its-new-all-electric-enyaq-crossover-1.4405753

After grants:
    Enyaq 60 58KwH €38,762 (390km WLTP)
    Enyaq 80 77KwH €47,922 (510km WLTP)
    Enyaq 80x 4WD 77KwH priced next year

Those are stupidly expensive prices!

Skoda.ie lists the Enyaq 60 at €44,570 BEFORE incentives. Skoda UK lists the Enyaq 60 at £33,450 BEFORE incentives, making it about €37,000. Thats a good €7,000 in the difference. Now, call me cynical, but there's no way that taxes alone would make up the difference between the two.

I'd hazard a guess that the importer and distributor whack on a good amount to that, along with the retailer as well.

The practices of the Irish Motor Industry leave a lot to be desired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Vico1612

deravarra wrote: »
    Those are stupidly expensive prices!

Skoda.ie lists the Enyaq 60 at €44,570 BEFORE incentives. Skoda UK lists the Enyaq 60 at £33,450 BEFORE incentives, making it about €37,000. Thats a good €7,000 in the difference. Now, call me cynical, but there's no way that taxes alone would make up the difference between the two.

I'd hazard a guess that the importer and distributor whack on a good amount to that, along with the retailer as well.

The practices of the Irish Motor Industry leave a lot to be desired.

I can't see the prices on the skoda.ie site .. where have they been published ?
    Prices sound a bit high (higher than the Id4 I believe for the 80 ?)

Vico1612 wrote: »
    I can't see the prices on the skoda.ie site .. where have they been published ?
    Prices sound a bit high (higher than the Id4 I believe for the 80 ?)
    Prices officially launched today. EV news quiet now in middle of Level 5 phase.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/skoda-confirms-irish-prices-for-its-new-all-electric-enyaq-crossover-1.4405753

After grants:
    Enyaq 60 58KwH €38,762 (390km WLTP)
    Enyaq 80 77KwH €47,922 (510km WLTP)
    Enyaq 80x 4WD 77KwH priced next year

Read it and weep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Read it and weep

And meanwhile in the UK after their grants and allowances, they can drive the same car for just shy of €34k.

Mind you, their grants are much less than ours.

The base price of the enyaq is cheaper in the UK than it is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,572 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Read it and weep

Any idea what vat/vrt would be still on them after grants?

Any idea what vat/vrt would be still on them after grants?

I'd guess that is the new vat and Vrt price. Car doesn't go on sale until next year anyways

deravarra wrote: »
    The base price of the enyaq is cheaper in the UK than it is here.

That's what I don't get! Why is the base price so high!? For the cost of the basic 60 here, you'd get a heavily loaded 60 from the UK. Brexit is going to ruin that though, zero imports come January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Its greed by the importers knowing the luxury of shopping in uk is gone, if only we drove on the wrong side of the road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

There's a nice bit of extra sauce built into an ev price and countries like Ireland take taxpayers money to fund aspirational middle class purchase through grants (pure profit at zero risk.)

Manufacturers have it good. Its 85% bog standard car materials and design with a battery and motor which is decades old technology.

What other new ice car needs a grant to survive. Its success is not gauranteed either.

Historically grants have only ever lifted the price by the grant amount so the builder or installer can Best utilise the free money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

That's what I don't get! Why is the base price so high!? For the cost of the basic 60 here, you'd get a heavily loaded 60 from the UK. Brexit is going to ruin that though, zero imports come January

Real world lads

Supply and demand

What price did ye expect?

€32,000 for a 58kWh modern SUV from VW group :pac:?

What's VW groups competition here in the SUV EV market?

A €40,000 Korean mini SUV Kona, a 200km Chinese Dacia type MG ZS and a mini size e2008 from the French.

Enyag at €38,000 is more competitive than all those at that price, at €33,000 or whatever price ye thought Skoda were going to sell would have been bonkers compared to that lame competition.

Indeed... After grants:
    Enyaq 60 58KwH €38,762..... That's kona money and iirc loads of EV folk reckoned that kona price was fair enough as it was well specced compared to the 23k ICE POS its based on.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed... After grants:
    Enyaq 60 58KwH €38,762..... That's kona money and iirc loads of EV folk reckoned that kona price was fair enough as it was well specced compared to the 23k ICE POS its based on.

Haha

Remember those posts lol

That extra €20,000 in price over ICE is well worth it.

The 5 years fuel pay back, higher spec, 200bhp motor, zero maintenance, less depreciation.

Think long term Thierry, your in the money after 5 years.

Whoever paid €40,000 for one was bonkers

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Real world lads

Supply and demand

What price did ye expect?

€32,000 for a 58kWh modern SUV from VW group :pac:?

What's VW groups competition here in the SUV EV market?

A €40,000 Korean mini SUV Kona, a 200km Chinese Dacia type MG ZS and a mini size e2008 from the French.

Enyag at €38,000 is more competitive than all those at that price, at €33,000 or whatever price ye thought Skoda were going to sell would have been bonkers compared to that lame competition.

eNiro is close enough, though a bit on the smaller size. 40k, but gets more range, faster charging, adaptive cruise, heated seats, heated steering wheel, lane keep, leather and much more all as standard.

I expected a similarly spec'd Skoda to be cheaper than the equivalent VW, and it's arguably not. 36k for the spec given, costing 39k with some basic extras. I assumed it would be decently spec'd as standard and expected that decent spec to cost under 40. Not dreaming at that price, but as is Skoda have pushed me away from the enyaq with this pricing.

Haha

Remember those posts lol

That extra €20,000 in price over ICE is well worth it.

The 5 years fuel pay back, higher spec, 200bhp motor, zero maintenance, less depreciation.

Think long term Thierry, your in the money after 5 years.

Whoever paid €40,000 for one was bonkers

Seriously? 4k a year in fuel spend. That's over 50k a year at 6l/100km!! Of course its even higher payback period because you need to offset the elec cost as well at Say 600 a year which is 3k over 5 years. Plus the interest on an expensive car.

Don't get blindsided into saving a little if you only spend a lot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Lantus wrote: »
    Seriously? 4k a year in fuel spend. That's over 50k a year at 6l/100km!! Of course its even higher payback period because you need to offset the elec cost as well at Say 600 a year which is 3k over 5 years. Plus the interest on an expensive car.

Don't get blindsided into saving a little if you only spend a lot...

It still doesn't stop people doing it though. I've seen people getting credit union loans to change their car for one on the cheap tax .. they'd need to keep the cheap tax car for 10 years for it to make sense.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    It still doesn't stop people doing it though. I've seen people getting credit union loans to change their car for one on the cheap tax .. they'd need to keep the cheap tax car for 10 years for it to make sense.

Exactly. I don't mind how much people spend on a car. But if you want a particular one just say it. Don't bs me with cost savings as some flimsey reason. There are very few that can do full life cycle costing let alone comparative analysis anyway.

Lantus wrote: »
    Exactly. I don't mind how much people spend on a car. But if you want a particular one just say it. Don't bs me with cost savings as some flimsey reason. There are very few that can do full life cycle costing let alone comparative analysis anyway.

Interesting

Over 5 years

Take my current 16 year old diesel

€40 diesel per week ( right now €10-15 in lockdown and WFH till April )

Tax €18 per week

Insurance I would guess similar I pay €10 pw.

Depreciation €0

Servicing €35pw, annual nct, 2 services a year, tyres stuff going wrong

That's about €100 a week to keep my car on road and great nick

€26,000 over 5 years

Can I buy and run an EV for €26,000 over 5 years?

Including fuel, road tax, tyres, insurance, servicing, depreciation, loan interest.

Mods start a new thread if you want lol

Replace Thierry car ;-)

Interesting

Over 5 years

Take my current 16 year old diesel

€40 diesel per week ( right now €10-15 in lockdown and WFH till April )

Tax €18 per week

Insurance I would guess similar I pay €10 pw.

Depreciation €0

Servicing €35pw, annual nct, 2 services a year, tyres stuff going wrong

That's about €100 a week to keep my car on road and great nick

€26,000 over 5 years

Can I buy and run an EV for €26,000 over 5 years?

Including fuel, road tax, tyres, insurance, servicing, depreciation, loan interest.

Mods start a new thread if you want lol

Replace Thierry car ;-)

For me doing 15k km per year it's:
    2.80 a week electricity
    Let's say 10 insurance to keep consistent for you.
    2.30 a week in tax.
    5 a week for service, yearly NCT and a tire a year in average.
    Depreciation... On a 18k ioniq, probably lose 10k in the next 5 years, so let's say 40 a week.

€60 a week, or 15600 over 5 years. Depreciation is a big unknown, but Vs your 100 a week there's €10k in the different over the 5 years (a lot of play in the numbers)

No idea about loan interest, but again, 10k difference over 5 years is a lot of interest

Edit:
    I know this didn't include the cost of the car. If it did then practically no, you probably can't buy and maintain for 26k. After 5 years it's 33k EV costs Vs 26k in your diesel. EV still has a value of 8k though, and your existing diesel is worth nothing.

For me doing 15k km per year it's:
    2.80 a week electricity
    Let's say 10 insurance to keep consistent for you.
    2.30 a week in tax.
    5 a week for service, yearly NCT and a tire a year in average.
    Depreciation... On a 18k ioniq, probably lose 10k in the next 5 years, so let's say 40 a week.

€60 a week, or 15600 over 5 years. Depreciation is a big unknown, but Vs your 100 a week there's €10k in the different over the 5 years (a lot of play in the numbers)

No idea about loan interest, but again, 10k difference over 5 years is a lot of interest

Edit:
    I know this didn't include the cost of the car. If it did then practically no, you probably can't buy and maintain for 26k. After 5 years it's 33k EV costs Vs 26k in your diesel. EV still has a value of 8k though, and your existing diesel is worth nothing.

Looks good and realistic ;-)

I could afford a 6 year old 100km Leaf

Unkel could make those maths work on a brand new ID3 :-)

See him doing the math in another thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

My maths are simpler. Do I want it and can I afford it. I don't think about all that other guff so much. Life's too short to decide everything by spreadsheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭CoBo55

JohnC. wrote: »
    My maths are simpler. Do I want it and can I afford it. I don't think about all that other guff so much. Life's too short to decide everything by spreadsheet.

Exactly.

Advertisement