Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Left out in college

Options
  • 22-07-2020 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi all, i’m due to start in UL on the 28th of september. I’m really anxious that i won’t make any friends in my course as I don’t know anyone else going to UL or in my course ðŸ˜

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

I was that girl! Couldn’t have gone much further from home than UL. You will be one of hundreds thinking the same! Yes, plenty of people will know someone else, maybe even someone they don’t want to know. But loads will be like you, not knowing anyone. Orientation, freshers week, clubs & societies are all about helping people meet each other & be friends. Join plenty of stuff, go to all the introductory things you can & just be open. It’s such an exciting time, don’t be worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭barbiegirl123

Baybay wrote: »
    I was that girl! Couldn’t have gone much further from home than UL. You will be one of hundreds thinking the same! Yes, plenty of people will know someone else, maybe even someone they don’t want to know. But loads will be like you, not knowing anyone. Orientation, freshers week, clubs & societies are all about helping people meet each other & be friends. Join plenty of stuff, go to all the introductory things you can & just be open. It’s such an exciting time, don’t be worrying!
    I hope so, i can’t help but feel nervous :/

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭frankston

Baybay wrote: »

I talk to first years every year and in most cases first years don't know anybody else in the class so nearly everbody else will be in the same boat so you won't be alone :)

Once all the offers have been sent out try posting in Facebook or on the UL thread on boards and you should be able to contact other students on your course before you start.

Congrats :)
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Yermander

The majority of people will be in the same boat. Even if they have other friends in college, they might not be doing the same course.
    I started talking to the guy sat beside me on the first day and we are good friends years after college.
    Try not to get too stressed about it

Advertisement