Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of job/career mid 50's

• 22-07-2020 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Going anon for this one. I hope this it the right place for this?

So I've worked in IT all my life and have been self employed since late 90's. Things were starting to go well until 2008 happened, and my business and income was hit really hard as a lot of my customer base was in construction. The stress of it all just really killed me (I lost my home, am renting from DCC now which is good in terms of expensive, but I really hate having to do it), but I managed to get back to some goodish level of business, and now covid has struck so am back to worse than 2008.

I'm just not able for it this time, and in any case I have come to hate my work since 2008.

So, what to do next? My first desire would be to start a new business. I have bee racking my brains the last few week to try to think of something that I can do, and have the means to launch, but I'm running on empty.

So my other option is to get a job. I don't want to work at IT/computers (Ok to USE a computer, but not work AT them). My only qualification is a computer science degree and my only experience is in IT.

I guess there are no jobs there anyway, and lots in the same boat, but there must be some entry level work I can do. My income requirements are very modest, and live in Dublin.

I feel am too old to go back to college, I'd be 60 before I finish.

Thanks for any ideas!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Still plenty of demand in IT.
    Would you get a basic enough job there to get money in to allow part time education option?
    If not for careerz bit to expand your mind and learning. You never know what experiences or people you'll meet and that may help with your idea of starting your own business.

What are you passionate about?
    Could you study something in that area?
    Age is no barrier to a passion. You have the rest of your life to do what you want. I hope you find what works for you.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭manor

Supervisor in a warehouse overseeing the warehouse management system, lots of jobs in the logistics industry at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭fran38

Would you consider moving to somewhere like Thailand for a year or two? Get an online English teaching job (there are companies that pay your TEFAL while your in the job). It seems like you need a bit of time out of the daily grind. I'm thinking of doing that, rent out my house for a couple of years. Come back after a bit of sun on my back (and savings!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My dad worked an office role till 50 OP and wasn't happy there. His job got moved from one side of the country to the other and didn't want to commute anymore so he opted to leave. He freaked out a little as he'd been doing the same job his whole life but he went to work for the UNDP in Asia for 2 years and from there worked for loads of NGOs around the world. Don't assume because of age you can't do a total change just be open minded to whats out there. As others said be honest about what you are passionate about and think outside the box. My dad loved driving and would have been happy driving a truck and it was while looking at that someone pointed him towards the UN Volunteer program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies so far. As much as I'd love to go to Thailand etc, unfortunately I have an elderly mother and I am her only family, so have to remain in Dublin.

@manor, "Supervisor in a warehouse overseeing the warehouse management system" would they not want someone experienced for that? I was actually looking at some warehouse jobs, just operatives, even they look for experience

• Advertisement
Advertisement