Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw two youths steal from a homeless guy this afternoon - made me sick

Options
  • 22-07-2020 8:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

The lengths some kids go to make themselves feel like tough guys.

Two little bousies knocked his paper cup with change out of the homeless dudes hand (he was sat on a street corner with a blanket over his legs), pinched the coins and ran (directly into me - idiots).

Steal from a helpless street person and think they're Johnny-bad-ass the fuckin' jackels.

What was I gonna do, make a citizen's arrest?

Was I gonna pull a "Bad Santa"?

0:26 for relevant quote

When they crossed the street (to where I was), they knocked fists like, "job well done bro!!".

I was going the direction they were coming from so, when I passed the homeless dude they just fleeced, I saw the look of distress on his face like, he knew he was basically powerless to do anything and they had probably just stolen either his bed for the night, or the cost of his next meal.

The distress written on his face, and the tears rolling down it - knowing he was helpless, as if he stood up to challenge them, they would almost certainly have attacked him.

I got a pretty strong stomach but the sight of this little scene knocked the wind right out of me.

Pffff, North Dublin man - what to point the finger at?
    The trash "tough guy" culture, the opioid crisis, the accommodation crisis?

Feels like we're mere organisms fighting for survival sometimes, instead of a civilization.

yBMHlyY.gif[

Comments

The first thing id do is post on boards to let everyone know that although you were in a position to confront the thieves or reassure the homeless person, you did sweet **** all yet want inexplicably to show people you care.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

Just saying....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Two little bousies knocked his paper cup with change out of the homeless dudes hand (he was sat on a street corner with a blanket over his legs), pinched the coins and ran (directly into me - idiots).

Steal from a helpless street person and think they're Johnny-bad-ass the fuckin' jackels.

When they crossed the street (to where I was), they knocked fists like, "job well done bro!!".

I was going the direction they were coming from so, when I passed the homeless dude they just fleeced, I saw the look of distress on his face like, he knew he was basically powerless to do anything and they had probably just stolen either his bed for the night, or the cost of his next meal.

The distress written on his face, and the tears rolling down it - knowing he was helpless, as if he stood up to challenge them, they would almost certainly have attacked him.

I got a pretty strong stomach but the sight of this little scene knocked the wind right out of me.

Feels like we're mere organisms fighting for survival sometimes, instead of a civilization.
    You could've thrown him a €20 if you really cared instead of posting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Why didn't you clothesline the 2 of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

yBMHlyY.gif[

All that effort with gifs and videos, this screams of attention and stinks of bull****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

Yeah pathetic either give him some money or knock one of the lads out and show them life's a bitch its Dublin no one would care about some scum getting what they deserve but shame on you, but fair dues for posting on boards sir, sham sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I read the OPs post in the hope that by the end, the OP would have redeemed him/herself by offering a kind hand to that poor person, but no, nothing, no offering of a mug of coffee, a sandwich from nearby or a few kind words, I am more annoyed by the OP than the yobs who robbed him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

The first thing id do is post on boards to let everyone know that although you were in a position to confront the thieves or reassure the homeless person, you did sweet **** all yet want inexplicably to show people you care.

That's the b1tch of it.

If I had given the two youths a stomping and the cops show up, then who gets the prosecution for public order offense?

If you were walking the street and saw some 110kgs dude stomping two teenages into the concrete, would you say, "hey they probably deserved it", or think more so, "lock up this swine already".

It's a complicated situation - and I'm completely on board with the "...when good men do nothing...." argument.

Which is why I made this thread - what could I realistically have done?

There's a grander issue to confront here.

And quite frankly that to me is, the issue of inner city north Dublin trash culture.

I get the same thing almost every time I ride the Luas from Tallaght.

I can't tell you how many times I wanted to curb stomp some of those little runts (and their irresponsible parents).

But then who looks like the bad guy?

This is a state issue, and a grander issue than giving a couple of "tough guys" a beat down.

Though I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

That's the b1tch of it.

If I had given the two youths a stomping and the cops show up, then who gets the prosecution for public order offense?

If you were walking the street and saw some 110kgs dude stomping two teenages into the concrete, would you say, "hey they probably deserved it", or think more so, "lock up this swine already".

It's a complicated situation - and I'm completely on board with the "...when good men do nothing...." argument.

And quite frankly that to me is, the issue of inner city north Dublin trash culture.

I can't tell you how many times I wanted to curb stomp some of those little runts (and their irresponsible parents).

This is a state issue, and a grander issue than giving a couple of "tough guys" a beat down.

“Stomping, swine, beat down, cops”

Get another session of Fortnite in before mom sends you to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

Did you even give him some change?

• Advertisement

Did you even give him some change?

Yeah that's gonna solve the entire Dublin trash culture problem right there.

To me it begs the question, difference between north and south Dublin.

Every single city has its bad-boy demographic (equivalent of Dublin north side).
    Makes the dudes feel like tough guys.
    Gets the girls excited (supposedly).

And then it has its more forward thinking areas that promote higher standard of living.

Naturally one is typically considered more expensive, but additionally typically a better place to live.

Those two yobos that fleeced a poor, helpless and vulnerable homeless dude, I mean - let's face it - do you really think they did it for the money?

A few coins?

Hell no.

They did it to feel like they're in charge.

Validation/empowerment.

Pathetic, but I've yet to go to any city that doesn't have that subculture.

I truly believe it's a grand political issue, addressing this.
    Really only the state on a higher scale has the capacity to adequately address such an issue long term, to yield effective and long term resolution.

Hell even if I had stomped those try-hard tough-guys, I suspect it would have done little more than to feed into their "thrill" surrounding the situation, their feelings of validation etc.

Besides, wherever they came from, 1000x more just like them waiting around the next corner.

It's the entire sub-culture as a whole that needs to be addressed, and as said - really only the state can do that (unless on some covert level, they secretly endorse it....)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

People tend to blame the system, it makes it easier to avoid doing something right here and now.

That's the b1tch of it.

Nah you're ok. I think you are being disingenuous and just want to do a Northside Vs southside Dublin thread.

I doubt the sincerity of your story and also, if it actually is true, you should be ashamed of yourself for not doing anything to console the man or to confront the teenagers.

Your story is crap, your motive is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

All I'm getting is that when faced with another human in clear distress, you walked away.
    What hope for humanity when people like you think you're the good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Yeah that's gonna solve the entire Dublin trash culture problem right there.
    Every single city has its bad-boy demographic (equivalent of Dublin north side).
    Makes the dudes feel like tough guys.
    Gets the girls excited (supposedly).

Are you positive you are not confusing Dublin with Grease and/or Dirty Dancing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

To the OP

Your worse than the two kids who stole off this man.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

No one who’s bothered enough to write that big thread could leave without a chat with the guy and a few euro from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

At 110kgs at least you're probably never going to be physically intimidated by two teenagers should you intervene

biko wrote: »
    People tend to blame the system, it makes it easier to avoid doing something right here and now.

lol - what a cop out.

I'm prepared to wager that if you were walking the street behind me and saw me (or any grown ass man) start to beat down a couple of youths viciously over petty theft and bad behavior, you'd be the first one to cry about standards in our society and how people need to exhibit self restraint and control regardless of provocation.

And you know who shares that opinion?

The Irish police force and judicial system.

It's unfortunate, this is an emotive (and I assure you, entirely truly) scene that I've outlined, that obviously elicits strong feelings in readers (as it did in myself observing, very much so), cause it was so gratuitous/wanton.

My point is, not only is their an entire subculture based on it.

But that subculture is so often glamourized, "bad boys" etc.

How to truly address the issue?

Accommodation crisis, opioid crisis, homeless crisis - all with high merit around Dublin without doubt.

So in actual fact, "the system" and long term affect by way of changes brought into place (or potentially, NOT brought into place) by policy makers, is THE ONLY answer here.

An even better question may be, if they could just flip a switch and bring about changes that would put these wrongs to right and improve societal standards over night - why don't they?

Are they not seeing what needs to be done, not understand what improvements need to be made?

• Advertisement

Nah you're ok. I think you are being disingenuous and just want to do a Northside Vs southside Dublin thread.

I doubt the sincerity of your story and also, if it actually is true, you should be ashamed of yourself for not doing anything to console the man or to confront the teenagers.

Your story is crap, your motive is clear.

I think the anecdote elicits untoward emotions in most readers (as well it should) and subsequently trying to fob off its implications with, "your story is crap" is simply easier than confronting the reality.

At 110kgs at least you're probably never going to be physically intimidated by two teenagers should you intervene

I'm gonna be completely honest here also - one detail I omitted in the OP.

They had that greasy scumbag feel, and smug air of confidence, of couple of dudes who probably carry a knife.

Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

Bad Raymond O'Chandler whiff to this OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,856 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They had that greasy scumbag feel, and smug air of confidence, of couple of dudes who probably carry a knife.

Just sayin'.

That's completely fair enough. It's always a possibility to be aware of

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MaryLouMacari

Just sayin'.

Maybe they did have 'that greasy scumbag feel, and smug air of confidence, of couple of dudes who probably carry a knife' but how did that stop you from giving the guy a couple of quid after you had waved the two of them down the road?

It obviously didn't make you sick enough, miserable pr**k!!!

Maybe they did have 'that greasy scumbag feel, and smug air of confidence, of couple of dudes who probably carry a knife' but how did that stop you from giving the guy a couple of quid after you had waved the two of them down the road?

It obviously didn't make you sick enough, miserable pr**k!!!

The dude was laid out on the side of the street with tears rolling down his face cause two billy-bad-ass wanna-be's effectively assaulted him.

For someone to show subsequent pity on someone in that position, you don't think it would exacerbate their feeling of belittlement and helplessness even more?

I did what I felt was the intuitively correct thing to do, which was make note of just how badly things have gotten off track where something like this can happen publicly like it's just another day, unchecked - not implicate myself by potentially getting involved with a couple of try-hard tough-guys carrying a concealed weapon, not making a scene, and not exacerbate the victims feeling of helplessness (and potentially worthlessness, as living on the street you can be sure he feels that and it was accentuated).

And little question that was the intention of two cock-a-roaches that stole from him; make themselves feel like big-men by picking on the most vulnerable person they can find.

This type of thing transpires day in day out around Dublin.
    It's a culture there, seemingly endorsed - like they're proud of that shit.

It's crazy.

Is there try-hard elitism in the Irish parliament?

Is there hypocrisy?

Culture comes from the top down, and these are the sensitive questions that need to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

You could plausibly argue you did the right thing I’m not confronting the two scumbags, but no way you helped the injured party by not assisting him afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are you positive you are not confusing Dublin with Grease and/or Dirty Dancing?

or West Side Story. Apparently shakespeare plagiarised the story for one of his plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yoke

The OP is completely right. He's pointing out the obvious flaw in todays police and judicial system, where the circumstances leading to an event are not properly scrutinised before handing down a judgement. Hes not going to solve that by giving that homeless guy 20 quid, or a chat. Who the **** wants a chat anyway after they've been robbed?

As for 20 quid, do you know the OP's personal circumstances? Should he go around giving 20 quid to every guy who he sees getting mugged too?

Instead of judging him for something he didn't do, why not discuss the actual point hes making? It can only be fixed on a "legal" level.

Todays legal system and laws make it not worth the hassle defending anyone else but yourself in any physical altercation. Which makes it very safe for a scumbag attacking a weaker person, because they're pretty sure the rest of society won't step in to help most of the time, due to the fear of the law.
    The scumbags never pick on a strong looking person directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 MaryLouMacari

yoke wrote: »
    The OP is completely right. He's pointing out the obvious flaw in todays police and judicial system, where the circumstances leading to an event are not properly scrutinised before handing down a judgement. Hes not going to solve that by giving that homeless guy 20 quid, or a chat. Who the **** wants a chat anyway after they've been robbed?

As for 20 quid, do you know the OP's personal circumstances? Should he go around giving 20 quid to every guy who he sees getting mugged too?

Instead of judging him for something he didn't do, why not discuss the actual point hes making? It can only be fixed on a "legal" level.

Todays legal system and laws make it not worth the hassle defending anyone else but yourself in any physical altercation. Which makes it very safe for a scumbag attacking a weaker person, because they're pretty sure the rest of society won't step in to help most of the time, due to the fear of the law.
    The scumbags never pick on a strong looking person directly.

Who mentioned 20 quid or even a chat?

I'm sure he wasn't sitting there with a cup in his hand hoping for people to throw 'a chat' into it. The couple of quid I mentioned could've gone a long way towards a warm bed for the night or something hot in his stomach while you and the OP are discussing how to fix things on a "legal" level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement