If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home cinema /sound system

Options
  • 22-07-2020 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'll be moving house in the next few weeks and, having lived in an apartment with good upstairs neighbours for years, I've never been in a position to turn up the volume.

Now that I'll have two storeys it's time to up my game!

While the living room is quite large there's a natural division so I'm looking at home theatre sound for a space about 4m x 3m. I'm open to either wired or wireless but I don't want huge speakers. It'll also need to sound good for music as that'll be 50% of its use. Support for Spotify/Google Music would be good.

What do you suggest?

I'll also need a new TV but I'll have to do some measuring and checking walls when I move in first.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Hi guys,

I'll be moving house in the next few weeks and, having lived in an apartment with good upstairs neighbours for years, I've never been in a position to turn up the volume.

Now that I'll have two storeys it's time to up my game!

While the living room is quite large there's a natural division so I'm looking at home theatre sound for a space about 4m x 3m. I'm open to either wired or wireless but I don't want huge speakers. It'll also need to sound good for music as that'll be 50% of its use. Support for Spotify/Google Music would be good.

What do you suggest?

I'll also need a new TV but I'll have to do some measuring and checking walls when I move in first.
    Hi killbillvol2,

Thanks for the post!

For a great home cinema system that's great for music as well I'd recommend a good AV receiver and a bookshelf speaker pack! The bookshelf speakers would give you a fuller sound than a satellite package and also won't be overly big!

For the amplifier I would recommend the Yamaha RXA680! It's currently £499/579 euro but is the entry level of the Yamaha Aventage series of amps which have better chassis design and amplification components. This gives a great sound while also having features such as 4K passthrough, Dolby Atmos and wireless streaming!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-203497-yamaha-rxa680-black-atmos-av-receiver.aspx

For the speaker pack I would start off looking at the Q Acoustics 3010i package! These speakers are amazing and sound fantastic for both film and music! They are on offer for £649/729 euro!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13516-q-acoustics-3010i-5-1-package-graphite-5-1-av-speaker-package.aspx?swapstore=1

Let me know what you think of these options!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hi killbillvol2,

Thanks for the post!

For a great home cinema system that's great for music as well I'd recommend a good AV receiver and a bookshelf speaker pack! The bookshelf speakers would give you a fuller sound than a satellite package and also won't be overly big!

For the amplifier I would recommend the Yamaha RXA680! It's currently £499/579 euro but is the entry level of the Yamaha Aventage series of amps which have better chassis design and amplification components. This gives a great sound while also having features such as 4K passthrough, Dolby Atmos and wireless streaming!

For the speaker pack I would start off looking at the Q Acoustics 3010i package! These speakers are amazing and sound fantastic for both film and music! They are on offer for £649/729 euro!

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-13516-q-acoustics-3010i-5-1-package-graphite-5-1-av-speaker-package.aspx?swapstore=1

Kind regards

David

Thanks David. I'm out for a beer this evening so I'll look over those options and get back to you.

Hi killbillvol2,

Thanks for the post!

Kind regards

David

Thanks David. I'm out for a beer this evening so I'll look over those options and get back to you.
    Hi killbillvol2,

No problem at all, let me know when you're ready and enjoy your evening!

Kind regards

David

Hi killbillvol2,

Thanks for the post!

Kind regards

David

Hi killbillvol2,

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

I've had a look at what you suggested and it looks like a pretty good fit for what I need. My only possible issue is space (the size of the speakers) - I'm not sure exactly where the TV will be until I get the keys of the house and do some checking of walls.

I'll come back to you when the solicitors get their acts together and get me into the house! I'll also need a TV and possibly wall mount etc. but there's some measuring to be done first. I presume you can deliver to Waterford?

Thanks for your help and hopefully I'll be in a position to order sooner rather than later.

Hi killbillvol2,

Thanks for the post!

Kind regards

David

Hi killbillvol2,

Kind regards

David
    Hi David,

I've had a look at what you suggested and it looks like a pretty good fit for what I need. My only possible issue is space (the size of the speakers) - I'm not sure exactly where the TV will be until I get the keys of the house and do some checking of walls.

I'll come back to you when the solicitors get their acts together and get me into the house! I'll also need a TV and possibly wall mount etc. but there's some measuring to be done first. I presume you can deliver to Waterford?

Thanks for your help and hopefully I'll be in a position to order sooner rather than later.
    Hi killbillvol2,

Thanks for getting back to me!

We can certainly deliver to Waterford! Let me know when you're ready sure and we will get you sorted!

Good luck with the move!

David

• Advertisement

Hi killbillvol2,

We can certainly deliver to Waterford! Let me know when you're ready sure and we will get you sorted!

Good luck with the move!

David

Hi David,

Hopefully I'll be on the move next week.

To follow up on all the above:

I got a super deal on a display model Panasonic OLED in Waterford so the TV is sorted.

I have a few questions about the setup above - too long to type! - so I'll pm you my number and you can get someone to give me a call in the next couple of days if that's OK.

Hi killbillvol2,

Good luck with the move!

David

Hi David,

Hopefully I'll be on the move next week.

To follow up on all the above:

I got a super deal on a display model Panasonic OLED in Waterford so the TV is sorted.

I have a few questions about the setup above - too long to type! - so I'll pm you my number and you can get someone to give me a call in the next couple of days if that's OK.
    Hey KillBillvol2.

Thanks for coming back to us.

David is back in tomorrow and I'll get him to drop you a call for a chat :)

Have a good evening.

Kenny.

Hi David,

Thanks for the call last week. I've moved in so can you give me a price on what we discussed on the phone (and is it all in stock?):

Yamaha RXA680 amplifier

Montor Audio MASS 5.1 Midnight Black speakers

Pair of stands for speakers.

3 wall brackets for speakers.

Cable - about 20 metres

All delivered to Waterford. 

Also, final question (probably) - are there any options to add Atmos (either now or in future) to that setup or would you go a completely different way? Bear in mind that it's the compact nature of the MASS that appeals most.

Thanks again.

Hi David,

Thanks for the call last week. I've moved in so can you give me a price on what we discussed on the phone (and is it all in stock?):

Yamaha RXA680 amplifier

Cable - about 20 metres

Also, final question (probably) - are there any options to add Atmos (either now or in future) to that setup or would you go a completely different way? Bear in mind that it's the compact nature of the MASS that appeals most.

Thanks again.
    Hi killbillvol2,

Thanks for getting back to me and I hope you're settling into the new house!

I can do the following price for you:

Yamaha RXA680
    Monitor Audio MASS 5.1 in Midnight Black
    1 x Pair MASS Stands
    3 x MASM Brackets Black
    20m Cambridge Ultra Micro
    Total: £1194/ 1373 euro including shipping!

In terms of Atmos the best speakers to use would be either upfiring Atmos speakers or in ceiling speakers. You could also use an additional 2 Mass satellites, mount them high at the front and have them angled towards your listening position!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

Yamaha RXA680 amplifier

Cable - about 20 metres

Thanks again.
    Hi killbillvol2,

Thanks for getting back to me and I hope you're settling into the new house!

I can do the following price for you:

Yamaha RXA680
    1 x Pair MASS Stands
    3 x MASM Brackets Black
    20m Cambridge Ultra Micro
    Total: £1194/ 1373 euro including shipping!

In terms of Atmos the best speakers to use would be either upfiring Atmos speakers or in ceiling speakers. You could also use an additional 2 Mass satellites, mount them high at the front and have them angled towards your listening position!

Kind regards

David
    That sounds good David. What warranties are on the amp and speakers?

• Advertisement

Last question. When I searched your site for Atmos speakers I came across this package.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14161-denon-avrx2700-monitor-audio-mass-ii-5-1-2-ma-css230-atmos-bundle-av-receiver-5-1-sat-sub-and-ceiling-speaker-package.aspx

How does that compare to what I've looked at?

Last question. When I searched your site for Atmos speakers I came across this package.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-14161-denon-avrx2700-monitor-audio-mass-ii-5-1-2-ma-css230-atmos-bundle-av-receiver-5-1-sat-sub-and-ceiling-speaker-package.aspx

Hi killbillvol2,

We are critically low in stock of the new 2700 amps at the moment but they are an incredible amp. It would have more inputs than the RXA680 but because the Yamaha is part of the Aventage range I still think they Yamaha would be better for sound quality!

The CSS230 are also in ceiling speakers so you would need to recess them into the ceiling!

Kind regards

David

Hi killbillvol2,

We are critically low in stock of the new 2700 amps at the moment but they are an incredible amp. It would have more inputs than the RXA680 but because the Yamaha is part of the Aventage range I still think they Yamaha would be better for sound quality!

The CSS230 are also in ceiling speakers so you would need to recess them into the ceiling!

Kind regards

David
    OK David. We'll stick with Plan A in that case - the Yamaha. 

I'm waiting for a Sky engineer at the moment and I know as soon as I'm on the phone he'll call. Can you give me a call in the morning to process the order? You should have my number in your private messages - if not I can PM you again.

Thanks.

Tom

Hi killbillvol2,

Kind regards

David
    OK David. We'll stick with Plan A in that case - the Yamaha. 

I'm waiting for a Sky engineer at the moment and I know as soon as I'm on the phone he'll call. Can you give me a call in the morning to process the order? You should have my number in your private messages - if not I can PM you again.

Thanks.

Tom
    Hi Tom,

If you PM me back with your contact number I can give you a ring! I am off tomorrow but can get one of my colleagues to call you? Otherwise I can call you on Thursday morning?

Kind regards

David

Hi Tom,

If you PM me back with your contact number I can give you a ring! I am off tomorrow but can get one of my colleagues to call you? Otherwise I can call you on Thursday morning?

Kind regards

David

Thursday's fine David. Enjoy your day off. I'll pm you the number now.

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

David

Thursday's fine David. Enjoy your day off. I'll pm you the number now.
    No problem Tom, chat on Thursday!

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

David

I've sent you my number now David.

You can get me this evening either if that suits. I'm finished with the Sky guy.

Hi Tom,

Kind regards

David

I've sent you my number now David.

You can get me  this evening either if that suits. I'm finished with the Sky guy.
    I'll try to give you a ring now!

Kind regards

David

Kind regards

David

Missed you earlier David. I'll talk to you on Thursday.

Kind regards

David

Missed you earlier David. I'll talk to you on Thursday.
    Sorry we missed each other on Tuesday! I'll give you a call this morning!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

Any update on stock of the speakers?

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

Hi Killbillvol2,

Apologies for the delay, I'm still waiting for an ETA but I'll chase again tomorrow!

Kind regards

David

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

Hi killbillvol2,

We received a set in today if you're ready to go ahead with those!

Let me know and I can give you a call when suits to process!

Kind regards

David

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

Hi killbillvol2,

Kind regards

David

I'm ready to go David. You can give me a call this evening or in the morning.

Kind regards

David

Hi David,

Hi killbillvol2,

Kind regards

David

I'm ready to go David. You can give me a call this evening or in the morning.
    Hi killbillvol2,

I'll give you a call asap!

Kind regards

David

Hi killbillvol2,

Kind regards

David

Delivery arrived this morning David. Now for the fun of setting it up! Thanks for your help.

Hi killbillvol2,

Kind regards

David

Delivery arrived this morning David. Now for the fun of setting it up! Thanks for your help.
    Glad to hear it's arrived already!! If you have any issues with the set up just let me know but thanks again for the order and have a great weekend!

I'm back again guys. I was watching some 4k film the other night and thought I'd like to hear helicopters flying overhead!

To add Atmos to my setup am I correct in thinking that putting two MASS satellite speakers on the ceiling firing down would be the simplest solution?

Current setup:
    Yamaha RXA680

Or any other suggestions welcome. No panic on this, get back to me after the weekend.

I'm back again guys. I was watching some 4k film the other night and thought I'd like to hear helicopters flying overhead!

To add Atmos to my setup am I correct in thinking that putting two MASS satellite speakers on the ceiling firing down would be the simplest solution?

Current setup:
    Yamaha RXA680

Or any other suggestions welcome. No panic on this, get back to me after the weekend.
    Great to hear from you again killbillvol2!

That would definitely be the easiest way to do it! The best way would be with in ceiling speakers but they're not always feasible in every system. If you mount the Mass satellites quite high and have them angled down towards your listening position it would give a good sound for Atmos!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Great to hear from you again killbillvol2!

That would definitely be the easiest way to do it! The best way would be with in ceiling speakers but they're not always feasible in every system. If you mount the Mass satellites quite high and have them angled down towards your listening position it would give a good sound for Atmos!

Kind regards

David

Thanks David. Ceiling speakers would be feasible as I could inset them in the ceiling. But do they require fire hoods too?

Could you:

a) give me a price on two Mass satellites with mounts, and
    b) suggest a pair of ceiling speakers and whatever needs to go with them.

I'm ok for cable.

Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.