Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper alternative to Hellman's mayo?!

• 22-07-2020 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

We get through a lot of mayo in our household, even adding it to some dinner sauces for more flavour. Hellman's is great tasting, but it's crazy expensive compared to shop own brands (even when it's on special). So, just wondering if anyone has come across a budget brand that tastes similar?!

We've found the Dunnes and Tesco stuff tastes like a cross between mayo and salad cream, and the Aldi mayo tastes really odd because it uses lime instead of lemon juice. Surely there's a good, cheap take-off of Hellman's out there?! Have zero interest in making homemade stuff btw!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Escapees wrote: »
    We get through a lot of mayo in our household, even adding it to some dinner sauces for more flavour. Hellman's is great tasting, but it's crazy expensive compared to shop own brands (even when it's on special). So, just wondering if anyone has come across a budget brand that tastes similar?!

We've found the Dunnes and Tesco stuff tastes like a cross between mayo and salad cream, and the Aldi mayo tastes really odd because it uses lime instead of lemon juice. Surely there's a good, cheap take-off of Hellman's out there?! Have zero interest in making homemade stuff btw!!

Nope, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is nothing else in this world that tastes even remotely like Hellman's mayonnaise.

You just gotta keep buying that brand and dam the expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭jellybear

Supervalu own brand is surprisingly nice!! I don't think anything will beat Hellmans but it gives it a run for its money ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

Lidl own brand is not bad either but I tend to stick to hellmans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I think there's lemon juice or something in hellmans as the souring agent compared to more vinegar on other ones, maybe try adulterating own brand?

I can't stand hellmans, so i'm on heinz since they launched. (and we buy the giant bottles when they're on offer every other week...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nope, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is nothing else in this world that tastes even remotely like Hellman's mayonnaise.

I stopped buying it years ago. Bramwells from Aldi is excellent, as is Tescos own brand, Supervalues too. All about 80c vs 4 quid for Hellmans.

I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in a blind taste (most people can't) and Hellmans is 4 times the price. If its going on a sambo or burger you won't see any difference.

If you want something a little different try Kewpie mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Aldi essentials mayo is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

You could just stock up when it's on offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

Tesco own brand then Lidls. Not sure of prices but the tubs of mayo from the east european shops are good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

The Nal wrote: »
    I stopped buying it years ago. Bramwells from Aldi is excellent, as is Tescos own brand, Supervalues too. All about 80c vs 4 quid for Hellmans.

I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in a blind taste (most people can't) and Hellmans is 4 times the price. If its going on a sambo or burger you won't see any difference.

I totally disagree with you there. I've tried Bramwells and Tescos and found them very different to Helmanns. A different texture and taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think the Bramwells mayo from Aldi is the closest to Hellmans - Lidl and Dunnes brands taste nothing like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

I like Marks and Spencer's mayo. They have some great flavoured mayos too, especially the peri peri one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This is the stuff to get stuck into:

https://www.asiamarket.ie/qp-kewpie-mayonnaise-500g.html

They also have it in Dunnes and Super Valu.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Kewpie is amazing, but it's Japanese mayo which is a whole different kettle of fish from Hellman's. Worth being aware of that. It's like mayonnaise and salad cream had a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This is the stuff to get stuck into:

https://www.asiamarket.ie/qp-kewpie-mayonnaise-500g.html

They also have it in Dunnes and Super Valu.
    Faith wrote: »
    Kewpie is amazing, but it's Japanese mayo which is a whole different kettle of fish from Hellman's. Worth being aware of that. It's like mayonnaise and salad cream had a baby.

Missed The Nal's recommendation before I made mine.

Kewpie is fantastic stuff. We batter through it so quickly in this place and there's only 2 of us here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You think? A little sweeter alright but I like it. And I hate salad cream.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

It takes one or two goes to get it right but if you've made your own mayo the stuff from the shop is like eating lard.

2 egg yolks
    Salt and pepper as desired
    1 tbsp Dijon mustard
    250ml sunflower oil
    2 tsp lemon juice

1 Season and whisk the egg yolks and mustard
    2 When thickened, add a small drop of the oil and whisk that in
    3 Gradually add more oil and whisk (not too much oil at a time or it'll come apart)
    4 When it's all combined, squeeze in the lemon juice and give a final stir

Absolutely delicious and costs next to nothing. Keeps for three days covered in the fridge. I usually do meringues or scrambled eggs or an omelette with the spare egg whites.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Use a stick blender to make mayonnaise rather than the laborious and inconsistent dribble method: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

Also fwiw, don't season until the end because you'll risking curing the egg yolks.

We get the Aldi own brand stuff as a next-best option after seeing a blind taste test on Eat Well for Less where it won the challenge ahead of Hellman's. I still prefer Hellman's ofc but it's only normal to have a preference for what you were raised on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Never tried using the mixer, great shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Anyone who wants a good mayo should try this one - never went back to any other brand since.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You think? A little sweeter alright but I like it. And I hate salad cream.

Yeah, it's sweeter and tangier. To be fair, I'll substitute it for normal mayo in many areas, but there are definitely a few where it won't work. I wouldn't have Kewpie with chips, I don't think, but it's great in a BLT, or in mashed potatoes, or with rice in a more japanese-style meal.

I've signed up to an Amazon subscription for it so it gets delivered every month :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Yeah, it's sweeter and tangier. To be fair, I'll substitute it for normal mayo in many areas, but there are definitely a few where it won't work. I wouldn't have Kewpie with chips, I don't think, but it's great in a BLT, or in mashed potatoes, or with rice in a more japanese-style meal.

I've signed up to an Amazon subscription for it so it gets delivered every month :D

I love kewpie on chips. I find it's more like continental Europe-style mayo than Hellman's.
    And egg mayo made with kewpie is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Escapees

Thanks for all the feedback - will try for the laugh making my own mayo, although I suspect I'll probably prefer the processed type!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Hellmans full fat mayo cannot be replicated. It is simply the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

I was raised on Hellman’s and made the switch to Heinz a few years ago. Much nicer flavour and usually on offer at €2 in one of the supermarkets for the big bottle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

I make my own a lot of the time especially if I want to convert some to tartare sauce or seafood sauce. I like home made mayonnaise but it does not taste like Hellmans or any other of the purchased ones in my opinion. I'd always have a jar of something readymade in the fridge for convenience as wouldn't always have a jar of homemade, I don't actually like Hellmans that much so would only pick that up if on offer, normally buy some random cheaper one.

I like the sound of that one recommended though, I used to love Miracle Whip which you can't get anymore and I have tried many of the online copycat recipes but to me they are nothing like it either, it's sweeter than mayonnaise so will try that Kewpie stuff and see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

omri wrote: »
    Anyone who wants a good mayo should try this one - never went back to any other brand since.

I don't eat mayonnaise often but I use a teeny bit of it as a cat treat (don't ask :pac:)

Cats will not touch this one, so it's a paws down from this house! They can also tell the light Hellmans from the full fat stuff, so I should have known the brand difference could cause issues :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hellmans full fat mayo cannot be replicated. It is simply the best!

It's just what you are used to.
    No better or worse than most other mass produced mayonnaise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What's the thick stuff you get in Holland with your chips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RasTa wrote: »

Fritesaus. Can't be got in Ireland. I buy it online

It's basically thickened low fat mayo, possibly with capers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

RasTa wrote: »
    L1011 wrote: »
    Fritesaus. Can't be got in Ireland. I buy it online

It's basically thickened low fat mayo, possibly with capers
    The French Fry sauce you get in McDonalds in Paris and a couple of other places is unbelievably good, wish I could recreate it or even describe it:

Lr958is.jpg

Back here I tend to keep an eye on Dealz, sometimes you can nab a massive Heinz or Helmanns bottle for €1.50 or €2.50. Its good to change brands every now and then or else I find everything gets a bit tasteless after a while.

Advertisement