Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper alternative to Hellman's mayo?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

omri wrote: »
    Anyone who wants a good mayo should try this one - never went back to any other brand since.

I think Heinz are on to this. I had a sachet of Heinz and it was closer to this than anything else. Meh. This is a specialty sauce though in my opinion. It's something different and goes well on something strange like noodles. It's not for burgers, rolls/sandwiches .ect

Thargor wrote: »
    The French Fry sauce you get in McDonalds in Paris and a couple of other places is unbelievably good, wish I could recreate it or even describe it:

I'm not having that with my chips. I'm with the the Pulp Fiction guy on that. You'l be coming at us with CurryWurst next. You don't go to Paris for Mayo on your chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Steer clear of any light or low fat options. Vile.

I agree with previous poster who advised you to stock up when it's on sale.

Making your own is a nice idea but hardly practical and quite a different taste to hellmans. Possibly more expensive too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I used to buy Bramwell's when shopping at Aldi because I couldn't be arsed going elsewhere just for Hellmann's and to be fair, the difference was negligible in my mind. Plus it seemed like it was about half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think a glass jar makes a big difference aswell compared to the plastic squeezy bottle, strong chance of that being all in my head though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Thargor wrote: »
    I think a glass jar makes a big difference aswell compared to the plastic squeezy bottle, strong chance of that being all in my head though.

I agree and it's not your imagination. It's also best not leave it out of the fridge for any longer than absolutely necessary, once open - texture and flavour can be affected fast.

I think I've tried every alternative at one time or other and have always returned to Hellmann's. The only alternative I will accept is Bramwells from Aldi!

One thing I find a bit strange about Hellmann's jars is they don't have that pop up safety button to let you know if the seal has been broken. There's a plastic seal around the lid but that won't tell you if the lid had been loosened at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Maybe look into buying a catering tub of Hellmanns?

Its the kind of thing that has a long shelf life. You could save a decent bit of money by going for bulk

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Escapees

Faith wrote: »
    Kewpie is amazing, but it's Japanese mayo which is a whole different kettle of fish from Hellman's. Worth being aware of that. It's like mayonnaise and salad cream had a baby.

Update: Conclusion for me is that Hellman's can't be beaten. But I tried out the rather expensive Kewpie for what it's worth and found the above quote to be spot on -> I found it awful but I hate salad cream!

Still have to try making homemade mayo...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭tscul32

Tesco or Lidl at a push, but I've found that it's regularly on offer so I just bulk buy when it is. Haven't paid full price (usually half) in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Do you store your Kewpie in the fridge or room temp?

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »

Fridge, I think it said to on the plastic packaging...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Rickytumtum

I actually love the polish brand mayo, discovered it in the polish section in Tesco. It’s amazing and my new number 1, but unfortunately it’s probably more expensive than Hellmans. I def recommend for anyone lurking about this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

RasTa wrote: »

I'd store any mayo in the fridge once opened...

Polish mayonnaise is lovely. Once you have it Hellmans just tasted like chemicals.

Anyway, OP, all you have to do is find out what other mayo the Hellmans factory make. All brands make non brand items for supermarkets
    Then you get your cheaper mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 13 chefy

Anyone who wants a good mayo should try this one - never went back to any other brand since.

I agree. This tastes much closer to professionally mademayonnaise.

chefy wrote: »
    I agree. This tastes much closer to professionally mademayonnaise.

That is lovely, and I'd say everyone should try that. It's not everyday food though in my opinion. I had it on noodles of all things. I wouldn't put it on a sandwich though.

OP here - well, as an update, we finally got round to making our own mayo. I used a hand blender and it all started to do its thing... and then the emulsion broke! And I was left with a curdled mess...

I tried some of it with raw garlic - tasted very buttery oddly enough - before having another go at blending it again. I added a new egg and with a bit more care blending this time, ended up with home-made mayo! :)

It was very like Hellman's, but much eggier. Not sure I like the egginess oddly enough, but it probably didn't help that an extra one had been added! Will try making it again with just one egg and play around with the seasoning a bit more next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

bubblypop wrote: »
    Polish mayonnaise is lovely. Once you have it Hellmans just tasted like chemicals.

Anyway, OP, all you have to do is find out what other mayo the Hellmans factory make. All brands make non brand items for supermarkets
    Then you get your cheaper mayo
    Saw this in Tesco the other day and remembered this thread so took a punt, its fecking lovely! Its so tangy, almost a horseradish/vinegar taste off it, hard to describe but its what mayonnaise used to taste like to me as a kid. Im using it on everything lately, my collection of various sauces for chips is obsolete now, its this stuff from now on:

2U0u5VG.png

Must try making tuna with it next. I made a crisp sandwich with it the other night and had to make another one straight afterwards.

Will this thread ever die I wonder?! :)

We actually tried that Polish mayonnaise since, and hoped for the best (despite the ingredients listing), but... we both found it to be more like salad cream than mayo! Have ended up just going back to Hellman's... But each to their own! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Has anyone tried this. The squeezy bottle is cheaper (425ml €0.69) than the jar (450ml €1.34)

5099839357770_3.JPG

For me I think it tastes very much like Hellman's.

• Advertisement

That price makes me a little suspicious, but you've tempted me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I don't eat mayonnaise often but I use a teeny bit of it as a cat treat (don't ask :pac:)

Cats will not touch this one, so it's a paws down from this house! They can also tell the light Hellmans from the full fat stuff, so I should have known the brand difference could cause issues :D

We’d a weird cat that demanded Hellmans on his dinner! Literally wouldn’t eat until he got a little bit on the side and would keep pestering until he did.

Escapees wrote: »
    Will this thread ever die I wonder?! :)

We actually tried that Polish mayonnaise since, and hoped for the best (despite the ingredients listing), but... we both found it to be more like salad cream than mayo! Have ended up just going back to Hellman's... But each to their own! :)

Try 'Winiary' make, Tesco sell it too. Lovely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

lenscap wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this. The squeezy bottle is cheaper (425ml €0.69) than the jar (450ml €1.34)

For me I think it tastes very much like Hellman's.

Yeah very good. Dont buy Hellmans anymore. Id love to met someone from Hellmans and ask them to sell me their product for 4 or 5 times the price.

Burger tip, get some black garlic and mash it into the mayo for the burger buns. Transformative.

Advertisement