Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response - Part II - read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Aegir wrote: »
    You should watch RTE or Virgin media when England win. It's the same then.

It's all because the ref didn't pick up the antics at the breakdown, or because the other side were very poor. Zero ability to actually say that you know what, they did well then.

The MHRA has been monitoring the trials of several vaccines and was therefore ahead of the curve. It didn't need to review the data post trials, because it was monitoring it on a weekly basis.

Yes, this has nothing to do with Brexit and there is nothing to prevent other countries doing the same and approving the vaccine already, but they haven't. The MHRA have done a good job and should be praised, but some posters would rather eat broken glass.

You could flip that entire post on its head to take account of your sycophantic pandering to all that is Great and British and Tory!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Tbf to Rob, that's clearly implied by what he said.

(Unless there was a ninja edit I can't see on mobile)

I worked for a company manufacturing crestor(cholesterol drug) for AstraZeneca.It was a direct rival to Pfizer's Lipitor.Phizer raised doubts about crestor which were backed by the FDA which were later found to be unfounded .The delay allowed the Pfizer product to be approved before the AstraZeneca product giving Pfizer the market edge.Ironically, the AstraZeneca drug is said to be superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Tbf to Rob, that's clearly implied by what he said.

(Unless there was a ninja edit I can't see on mobile)

It still doesn't make any sense. FDA are in the process of approving a vaccine manufactured by US company that UK already approved. So I still don't know how Fauci is guilty of America is best mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

meeeeh wrote: »
    It still doesn't make any sense. FDA are in the process of approving a vaccine manufactured by US company that UK already approved. So I still don't know how Fauci is guilty of America is best mentality.

It's understandable that Pfizer would want to advance their own product but the FDA should be impartial which they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

RobMc59 wrote: »
    It's understandable that Pfizer would want to advance their own product but the FDA should be impartial which they aren't.

Again I don't know what that has to do with Fauci because the Pfizer vaccine is being approved by UK. Nobody approved Oxford/AstraZeneca yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Stay on topic folks - nobody cares about what football team you follow in this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,062 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kay Burley suspended from Sky News for six months after breaking lockdown rules

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I haven't read much of the thread in a good while but does anyone else feel like the whole vaccine thing is a bit of a damp squib?

All of this waiting and excitement for the big day when the vaccine was rolled out and now it has been, and it feels like nobody is bothered. Lots of GP surgeries aren't even going to offer it because they don't have the resources. How on earth can this be a problem after this much time?

Anyone have any idea when or if we can expect to be able to get it privately? I just want to get the goddamn thing and move on...a whole year of life lost to this stupid virus and cack handed way of dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I guess the disappointment of the vaccines is that a large part of the population won't get it for a,long time and worldwide we still might be wearing masks in a year's time.

I haven't read much of the thread in a good while but does anyone else feel like the whole vaccine thing is a bit of a damp squib?

All of this waiting and excitement for the big day when the vaccine was rolled out and now it has been, and it feels like nobody is bothered. Lots of GP surgeries aren't even going to offer it because they don't have the resources. How on earth can this be a problem after this much time?

Anyone have any idea when or if we can expect to be able to get it privately? I just want to get the goddamn thing and move on...a whole year of life lost to this stupid virus and cack handed way of dealing with it.

What were you expecting? Did you really believe billions of doses were going to be produced in a matter of weeks and millions of people were going to be vaccinated in one go?

This isn’t the end, it isn’t even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning.

• Advertisement

What were you expecting? Did you really believe billions of doses were going to be produced in a matter of weeks and millions of people were going to be vaccinated in one go?

This isn’t the end, it isn’t even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning.

I expected that there would be sufficient resources to effectively distribute the vaccines that are available. Was that too much to hope for?

I guess the disappointment of the vaccines is that a large part of the population won't get it for a,long time and worldwide we still might be wearing masks in a year's time.

I thought the idea was that most of the elderly and vulnerable would get it by around Easter, so that something approaching normal life might resume? Even if I couldn't be vaccinated by then, the idea of being able to go and see my grandparents without worrying about killing them is pretty great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The Pfizer vaccine needs the -80 refrigeration and 2 doses, and that's first out of the blocks. Once the others are available it'll all be easier and quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I thought the idea was that most of the elderly and vulnerable would get it by around Easter, so that something approaching normal life might resume?
    Ugur Sahin (the person behind the BIONTech vaccine) thinks normal life will be back winter 2021.

UK government will pull every trick in the book to open up earlier but Easter is pushing things too far. Heck we don't even know if there will be a deal to fast-track the shipments passed post-Brexit customs.

I thought the idea was that most of the elderly and vulnerable would get it by around Easter, so that something approaching normal life might resume? Even if I couldn't be vaccinated by then, the idea of being able to go and see my grandparents without worrying about killing them is pretty great.

The government has outlined what groups will get it first. My parents are in phase theee and there are literally millions of people who will get it before them.

You just have to be patient I’m afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

There is only one vaccine approved in the UK and it has logistic challenges that are not easy to overcome. Also the UK secured 800k doses initally which is enought for 400k people so it is not going to set the heather alight. What is really needed is the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine to do things right and get approved as soon as possible, that is the game changer if they can do the trials correct

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

I wonder how many have been vaccinated by now after the big show of the first one last week? How quickly is is happening after all the talk? Instead of case numbers now we need vaxxed numbers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

DSN wrote: »
    I wonder how many have been vaccinated by now after the big show of the first one last week? How quickly is is happening after all the talk? Instead of case numbers now we need vaxxed numbers :)
    Was thinking the same myself. There was all the fuss about numbers being tested in the first wave, and nothing about the numbers being vaccinated now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

serfboard wrote: »
    Was thinking the same myself. There was all the fuss about numbers being tested in the first wave, and nothing about the numbers being vaccinated now?

Only saying this the other night. How fantastic they are giving the first ever dose of the vaccine and then silence!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I expected that there would be sufficient resources to effectively distribute the vaccines that are available. Was that too much to hope for?

Absolutely not too much to hope for. But it will take time for supply to catch up with what is basically a complete and utter global demand. There's only one vaccine currently approved, once the others go through their phases they can ramp things up to the next level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

DSN wrote: »
    Actually no, we don't.

You're interested in knowing that you've had the vaccine yourself, or that someone close to you who you fear infecting has had it. But the total numbers or total proportion of the population that has had it is unimportant to you until it gets towards 60% or more, at which point herd immunity starts to assert itself, and you risk both of contracting the virus and of passing it on starts to fall materially.

Thus it matters how long it will be before 60% of the population are vaccinated, but it doesn't matter very much how long it is before 6%, or 16%, or 26% are. None of those lower targets will justify you relaxing your precautionary behaviour.

The vaccination programme could have a slow start as the necessary training/facilities/supplies may take some time to line up, and then it could accelerate. Or it could start vigorously and then slow down as capacity problems emerge or antivaxx propaganda finds more traction. Or whatever. Either way, knowing how long it has taken to reach 6% or 16% doesn't tell you anything very meaningful about how long it will take to reach 60%, so it's not even a useful datum when tryinhg to project when herd immunity might be attained.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

Only saying this the other night. How fantastic they are giving the first ever dose of the vaccine and then silence!

The actual numbers are out today, in the region of 130,000.

I'm living in England and there has not been "silence". It's just happening! My wife's Granny got the jab, as did a neighbour's Grandparents. So far they're the only ones directly in my life I know but the vaccinations are happening just a few miles up the road from me. One thing that is a bit crap at the mo is that you might only get a day or two's notice for your slot which seems to have caused some older people problems in sorting transport. But GP says that should be more in hand in the coming weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The only people I know of so far having got the vaccine are in the groups then giving it to others, but with an over 80 population of a bit over 2 million and 138k vaccinated in one week it won't take too long for those numbers to ramp up. Last week having been just the initial roll out where few places were actually doing it for the first days, wasn't until day 2 or 3 I think before my regional news was getting all excited about the first people in the region to have got the jab at a few of the local hospitals.

Not seen anything about further shipments having arrived in the country yet, but I may have missed it. Other than Christmas slowing things down next week they will be running out of doses by then anyway if they still only have that initial 800k so meaning 400k people.

Really need the Oxford one being used as well, but sticking it into people will get much quicker yet. If supplies are there and Christmas wasn't in the way they would easily have over 50% of the over 80 population done in a month, and if the vaccine is successful that covers most of the people most likely to die if they catch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

The blustering of Boris in the Commons at the moment at PMQs is quite something to behold.

robinph wrote: »
    The only people I know of so far having got the vaccine are in the groups then giving it to others, but with an over 80 population of a bit over 2 million and 138k vaccinated in one week it won't take too long for those numbers to ramp up. Last week having been just the initial roll out where few places were actually doing it for the first days, wasn't until day 2 or 3 I think before my regional news was getting all excited about the first people in the region to have got the jab at a few of the local hospitals.

Not seen anything about further shipments having arrived in the country yet, but I may have missed it. Other than Christmas slowing things down next week they will be running out of doses by then anyway if they still only have that initial 800k so meaning 400k people.

Really need the Oxford one being used as well, but sticking it into people will get much quicker yet. If supplies are there and Christmas wasn't in the way they would easily have over 50% of the over 80 population done in a month, and if the vaccine is successful that covers most of the people most likely to die if they catch it.

They had to allocate more time to each jab after the allergic reactions last week. The GP now has to sit with the patient for at least 15 minutes to make sure all is well. This has delayed the roll out a bit, but if there are no further reactions it can be slowly speeded up I believe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They had to allocate more time to each jab after the allergic reactions last week. The GP now has to sit with the patient for at least 15 minutes to make sure all is well. This has delayed the roll out a bit, but if there are no further reactions it can be slowly speeded up I believe.

Which is a nonsense as those people who had the allergic reaction should never have been getting the vaccine in the first place, and they should have known that themselves as well as the people administering it should have been asking the relevant questions about allergy's before giving it.

They all just got whisked up in the excitement of -> hey new vaccine ->too tricky to give to old people in care homes -> let give it to NHS staff first then as they are next on the list anyway -> Oi you, staff member, come over here and roll up your sleeve whilst we take a picture of you for tomorrows paper.

Under normal circumstances they wouldn't have even been offered it as their GP would have it flagged up that they were allergic, and they knew they were allergic, and the instructions on the vaccine said "don't give to severely allergic people you numpties". So a bit of group stupidity set them back in the roll out and meant they needed to have doctors involved for no real reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is the 15 minute wait not pretty standard for any vaccination? Any time I've gone to Boots for a winter flu one they request I wait around to see if there's any immediate adverse reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is the 15 minute wait not pretty standard for any vaccination? Any time I've gone to Boots for a winter flu one they request I wait around to see if there's any immediate adverse reaction.

I had a look at our GP's website, the only thing they say about it is "Do not drive for at least 15 minutes after the injection" which yeah seems pretty standard advice to me from other medical stuff like that?

S.M.B. wrote: »

Can't remember the last vaccination I was asked to hang around for, certainly has happened but not with the flu one that I get pretty much every year if I remember to go along. Possibly happened with something unusual I'd had back in the day, but can't remember what for.

Could be more to do with if you get it in Boots and they know nothing about you so from extreme caution they ask you to hang around, whilst the GP already knows who you are and if you have had a reaction to anything before so can send you on your way with less risk back to them as they know it's not going to happen already. Boots are just covering themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Think I've had it 3/4 times at Boots over the years and from what I remember I complete and sign a form where I disclose any allergies, they ask me those same questions before administering the jab and then they suggest that I don't leave the shop for the next 15 minutes which is a lot less effort on their behalf compared to having to undergo observation for 15 minutes which sounds a little OTT.

Advertisement