Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response - Part II - read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

galway_lad wrote: »
    The actual numbers are out today, in the region of 130,000.

I'm living in England and there has not been "silence". It's just happening! My wife's Granny got the jab, as did a neighbour's Grandparents. So far they're the only ones directly in my life I know but the vaccinations are happening just a few miles up the road from me. One thing that is a bit crap at the mo is that you might only get a day or two's notice for your slot which seems to have caused some older people problems in sorting transport. But GP says that should be more in hand in the coming weeks.

Sounds great. I was just joking about the vax stats above. My in-laws in the UK & hopping mad to get it. 93 yr old Granny-in-Law has not got appt yet just had to sign that she was up for it. The parents in law are 'only' in their 70s so hopefully not long after so we can all meet up again soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This twitter user is tracking the vaccinations per 100k population

https://twitter.com/redouad/status/1339197832625053698

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

This twitter user is tracking the vaccinations per 100k population

https://twitter.com/redouad/status/1339197832625053698

Is there a worry of people taking this as accurate and avoiding safety measures?

I mean technically no one has been vaccinated yet outside of trials right since they need to go back for a second jab?

Not really a UK specific issue but they are rolling it out first.

You are right in the sense that those people only received the 1st dose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If people are going to complain that Britain is doing this too fast.. a couple of weeks isn't going to make difference.

So it's dangerous territory to start accusing Britain of being hasty.. because that's exactly what the EU is doing. We just happen to be a couple of weeks behind.

I guess the EU vaccinators will ask if the people being vaccinate have had allergic reactions to vaccines before administering the jab.

Seems like an idea eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Story from that rag, The New York Times, about the awarding of contracts in the UK during the pandemic,

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1339503625299701761?s=20

It's an easy target, I know, but they made themselves an easy target by awarding contracts like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Enzokk wrote: »
    Story from that rag, The New York Times, about the awarding of contracts in the UK during the pandemic,

It's an easy target, I know, but they made themselves an easy target by awarding contracts like this.

If it's a rag,that implies you consider its reporting unreliable-so why are you posting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Dave0301

RobMc59 wrote: »
    If it's a rag,that implies you consider its reporting unreliable-so why are you posting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Enzokk wrote: »

I had only clicked into this thread to post the same.
    About $11 billion went to firms either run by friends and associates of Conservative Party politicians, or with no experience or a history of controversy

Nothing to see here...move along now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

I love the pic of Rizwana Hussain looking sad. "Oh boohoo".

I have no problem with the government moving fast given the nature of April and March. I mean we remember the media seething about the UK not going along with the EU ventilator or vaccine schemes (which was "unforgivable" at the time :Dhttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/10/uk-poised-to-shun-eu-coronavirus-vaccine-scheme , thank God they didn't imo).

I thought they'd be more of a breakdown in that article. Implying a company is suspicious because it has at one time donated to one of the two parties in a duopoly, is well meaningless to me.

I do think a thorough investigation into the whole covid handling should be on the cards in 2022 or the likes.

• Advertisement

Dave0301 wrote: »

Sarcasm,,,widely regarded as the lowest form of wit..

galway_lad wrote: »
    I love the pic of Rizwana Hussain looking sad. "Oh boohoo".

I have no problem with the government moving fast given the nature of April and March. I mean we remember the media seething about the UK not going along with the EU ventilator or vaccine schemes (which was "unforgivable" at the time :Dhttps://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/10/uk-poised-to-shun-eu-coronavirus-vaccine-scheme , thank God they didn't imo).

I thought they'd be more of a breakdown in that article. Implying a company is suspicious because it has at one time donated to one of the two parties in a duopoly, is well meaningless to me.

I do think a thorough investigation into the whole covid handling should be on the cards in 2022 or the likes.

did you not read the bit about Lord Deighton having shares in Astra Zeneca and Honeywell. :D

I believe the phrase is "clutching at straws"

My local ferry service disrupted by covid.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-55346981

Following on from that NYT article, here is a neat flowchart

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1339500372415700994

Following on from that NYT article, here is a neat flowchart

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1339500372415700994

If Mr Maugham is confused, then someone needs to tell he/him to read the NAO report. It's all in there.

Aegir wrote: »
    did you not read the bit about Lord Deighton having shares in Astra Zeneca and Honeywell. :D

I believe the phrase is "clutching at straws"

It's mad.

> By next week, more than 200,000 people a day should be receiving jabs, equating to well over one million doses a week by Christmas.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/18/exclusive-oxford-coronavirus-vaccine-expecting-approval-within/

Got word today of more friend's grandparents who've gotten the first jab. They'll be talking about what percentage of the population here are immune before a single person in the Republic has gotten vaccinated.

I'm furious, if my parents in Ireland lived here they'd know when hope was coming but as is well we'll see. If at all.

If Mr Maugham is confused, then someone needs to tell he/him to read the NAO report. It's all in there.

I do believe that's the gentleman that tweeted about him wearing his wife's nightie and beating a fox to death with a club. He is clearly a sane individual ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Telegraph reporting Boris Johnson called an unscheduled meeting of ministers tonight to discuss the newly discovered variant of the virus in the UK. Clearly some concern there.

Telegraph reporting Boris Johnson called an unscheduled meeting of ministers tonight to discuss the newly discovered variant of the virus in the UK. Clearly some concern there.

Despite the Irish media portrayal, the Tories pretty much just operate on the basis of public opinion and polls.

By and large, people want lockdown. But don't want Christmas impacted too much. I expect we'll see a national lockdown come in before New Years. In the mean time, we're only weeks away from the vast majority of the high-risk being vaccinated here. Put the two together and it's a natural cocktail.

And politically it will be beneficial to contrast the (maybe?) EU rollout in the meantime with the real results in the UK.

The NAO is not the government

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

London going into Tier 4 and talks of no Christmas bubbles.

I'm livid, absolutely livid.

17 deaths and 640 new cases in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

S.M.B. wrote: »
    London going into Tier 4 and talks of no Christmas bubbles.

I'm livid, absolutely livid.

Unsurprising, though, isn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Unsurprising, though, isn't it?

They could have been honest about it instead of this deceitful pantomime of making a partial exception for Christmas.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Does anyone actually think all the Irish with flights booked home are just going to stay put? Unless airlines start canceling flights this lockdown announcement is just hot air.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Does anyone actually think all the Irish with flights booked home are just going to stay put? Unless airlines start canceling flights this lockdown announcement is just hot air.

I was planning to travel via NI and cross the border. I know virtually nobody in my home town and I'd be staying in my folks' house the whole time. I suppose we'll just see what happens but I'm thinking of just cancelling it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Absolutely! And those from London etc going to other parts of the UK, trains, coaches etc. Unless the whole transport system is closed there will still be huge movement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I was planning to travel via NI and cross the border. I know virtually nobody in my home town and I'd be staying in my folks' house the whole time. I suppose we'll just see what happens but I'm thinking of just cancelling it.

I'm supposed to be meeting my sister from Knock tomorrow and she's of the same mind as you :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

They could have been honest about it instead of this deceitful pantomime of making a partial exception for Christmas.

I expected nothing less, which is why I didn't bother making any plans or travel arrangements. Boris is shown he's full of absolute sh1te. It clearly isn't safe enough right now to be mixing with people or travelling.

Advertisement