Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response - Part II - read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭ongarite

Wales in a real real bad way.
    Most infected country per population in the world right now.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1341379934934196231?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

ongarite wrote: »
    Wales in a real real bad way.
    Most infected country per population in the world right now.

Wow their firebreak/circuit-break, or whatever they called it, lockdown certainly worked a treat...

No one will care though, because they can’t blame the Tories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Aegir wrote: »

I'm sure the Tories feelings are really hurt by that prospect.

It's certainly cut you up.

I suspect it will be pretty much the same as ScotNats about Nicola breaking the mask rules, which is to say: absolute silence.

I mean I think fair enough for her and I understand the situation, but given her record on admonishing others, I laugh at her being caught out.

• Advertisement

galway_lad wrote: »
    I suspect it will be pretty much the same as ScotNats about Nicola breaking the mask rules, which is to say: absolute silence.

I mean I think fair enough for her and I understand the situation, but given her record on admonishing others, I laugh at her being caught out.

Looking at the heinous crime that Sturgeon committed, I feel that she should step down now and be exiled to Panama.

_116216312_scottish-sun.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-55419564

Or she can pay the £60 quid fine for speaking to guests at a wake while still socially distanced.

I love how this is causing you guys such bother, but yet any criticism of the Tories sees the wagons circled and the accusations fly. Ridiculous.

---

Now about those Welsh figures... they're a bit shít.

I'm sure we'll get some real detail on them before running down the Welsh Govt; perhaps afford them the same benefit that the Tory govt get from their zealot supporters and defenders on here.

I love how this is causing you guys such bother, but yet any criticism of the Tories sees the wagons circled and the accusations fly. Ridiculous.

I'm not sure you even read the posts you quoted, but that wouldn't surprise me.

Imagine quoting the Sun though! Do you buy it daily?

I'm not sure you even read the posts you quoted, but that wouldn't surprise me.

Tell me, why wouldn't it surprise you? You know all it seems. I can learn from you.
    Imagine quoting the Sun though!

Now, if you were a wee bit more observant you'd actually see that I quoted the image in the BBC webpage that I posted.

Why does it matter that it's from the Sun though? Perhaps you can explain that to me.

Do you not believe the photo? Do you have another photo that shows the First Minister in an even worse light?

Do you buy it daily?

Well, no, obviously. You do know that that image is from a link on a website and not a scan of the front page posted by me. Poor fella.

Do we need to explain how to post links and images to you?

If I was to buy it daily would that matter to the point that was being made, ie. that you and Aegir are playing that typical right-wing Tory supporter game of whataboutery.

So given you selectively quoted my previous post, then this is obviously the thing you want to talk about.

What do you think should happen to Nicola in addition to the apology she has made and any fine she may be subject to?

Because your previous references to this incident were such that you were clearly miffed by it.

Do you have another photo that shows the First Minister in an even worse light?

She's clearly and undeniably within two metres of the old dears there, what could she do that was worse? Kiss them?

As I said, I understand her rule breaking and it's not that big a deal. we've all been there to an extent this year. But given her self righteous record it's funny to poke fun at her.
    that you and Aegir are playing that typical right-wing Tory supporter game of whataboutery.

Ah fuk off! Whataboutery my arse. This really seems to have russled your feathers. I guess I was wrong about ScotNats, it's deflection time! Not silence!

She's clearly and undeniably within two metres of the old dears there, what could she do that was worse? Kiss them?
    She should resign forthwith!
    As I said, I understand her rule breaking and it's not that big a deal. we've all been there to an extent this year. But given her self righteous record it's funny to poke fun at her.

Self-righteous? Hmmmm... I see.

Clearly a fan then.

Ah fuk off! Whataboutery my arse. This really seems to have russled your feathers. I guess I was wrong about ScotNats, it's deflection time! Not silence!

Of course it has buddy... My feathers... :rolleyes:

ScotNats? This isn't the comments page of the Guardian or the BBC. No idea who you think you're talking to if I'm honest. But it ain't a "ScotNat".

• Advertisement

It’s amusement Bonnie. That’s all.

Now, maybe you can go and do something no one else has done and start an outrage thread about Roqu Media.

Amazing amount of silence on that for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Wow their firebreak/circuit-break, or whatever they called it, lockdown certainly worked a treat...

There lockdown ended on 9th Nov when their numbers were 344 per 1M people after this they decided to reopen hospitality. Their case numbers were about this level until 2nd December when they started accelerating to where they are now. Do I think it was a good idea to re-open hospitality with case numbers still so high - no.

England currently is following a similar path albeit a few weeks behind as their lockdown ended a few weeks later. You can see it here

https://www.travellingtabby.com/uk-coronavirus-tracker/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Have to say Nicola's breach should be brought up. Interesting that she was able to admit her mistake and not force ministers onto TV with the world's most ridiculous lies. It also looks like everything was fine till she leaned over for a chat (meal at a wake with socially distanced tables?). So definitely a mistake but hardly one she planned.

So if people really want to compare her breach with the treatment Dominic got since they complained about the tories getting an unfair amount of attention then that can be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,981 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think I can speak for most Irish people when I say we don't really care or distinguish what particular cadre of fuckwits any particular fuckwit politician pays membership dues to across the water.

It’s amusement Bonnie. That’s all.

Now, maybe you can go and do something no one else has done and start an outrage thread about Roqu Media.

Amazing amount of silence on that for some reason.

Literally every single one of your posts is whataboutery. It's such an incredible and lamentable skill.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,977 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Further announcement on restrictions in the UK expected tomorrow. Looking at the way things have gone in the UK, even though I thought we overdid restrictions in Ireland, I'm glad we did it this way. I hate to think how the Irish Health services would cope with the scale of problems the UK is now facing.

I know there is a view that the UK has handled this badly, and I certainly do not disagree with that sentiment, but a few different decisions and we could easily have been facing down the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Over 53k new cases reported here today. Allowing 3 days between requesting a test and result, and 5ish days between infection and symptoms for the most part, most of those 53k were acquired around the 19th to the 21st. When everyone was fleeing London. When people were flying to Belfast to sneak into Ireland. When people rammed themselves into trains to go to the north of England for Christmas. When "they were grand to travel, sure they'd had a negative test a week before"...

Cases in UK and Ireland will be interesting to watch in a few days or so, when all the families who've been infected by the festive travellers become symptomatic and get tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,240 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It absolutely will be, but in the short term, the damage has been done and the UK is in for a grim January.

I would expect that a lot of areas will be moved to tier 3/4 in the coming days and that secondary schools will not open next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Dave0301 wrote: »
    It absolutely will be, but in the short term, the damage has been done and the UK is in for a grim January.

I would expect that a lot of areas will be moved to tier 3/4 in the coming days and that secondary schools will not open next week.

My granddaughter in year seven secondary school will be learning from home via the internet initially according to parent mail messages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Dave0301

RobMc59 wrote: »
    My granddaughter in year seven secondary school will be learning from home via the internet initially according to parent mail messages.

Yes, I know that only Year 11 and 13 are meant to be back next week, but rumours are starting that this will be pushed back as well.

Difficult to know how it will play out, as any school time lost will result in added pressure to scrap exams in the summer.

However, given that the vaccines are about to become more widely available, it might be best to play it safe for January and try to get infection rates down.

There will be unhappy people regardless of the decisions announced later this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

The UK government have been very clear that they are going to not be opening up again this year. They have not said what the plan is.
    They have said they are not going to reopen.
    The UK Government have said that they will not be open for Christmas.
    There is no reason to believe that the UK government are going back to normal in January.
    We have seen this

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Nearly 1,000 deaths announced today which is record for the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Nearly 1,000 deaths announced today which is record for the UK.

UK, or just England?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

UK, or just England?

UK, Corona related deaths, 30th Dec.

+ 919 England.
    + 13 Wales.
    + 43 Scotland.
    + 06 N.Ireland.

UK total deaths + 981 (single day).
    Source, Sky News data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

981 deaths is not a record for the UK. According to WorldOMeters, the record was 1166 recorded on April 21st.

56K cases (55,892) recorded today, is definitely a record, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭PommieBast

serfboard wrote: »
    981 deaths is not a record for the UK. According to WorldOMeters, the record was 1166 recorded on April 21st.

56K cases (55,892) recorded today, is definitely a record, though.
    Because of the lack of testing back then, it is now thought that the true infection rate may have actually hit 100,000 during the first wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

PommieBast wrote: »
    Because of the lack of testing back then, it is now thought that the true infection rate may have actually hit 100,000 during the first wave.

Yes in Scotland they estimated that the R number was around 5 at the end of Feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Yes in Scotland they estimated that the R number was around 5 at the end of Feb.

Watched a good documentary on Wuhan hospitals and they came to the same conclusion, R number of 6 in the wild until the news broke out at the end of December

Would have went from something like 200 cases a day to 200,000 in the space of 40 days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I watched a UK briefing the other day where their experts categorically ruled out a mix and match vaccine usage.

Irish Times today reporting that they are adopting same!

Advertisement