Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response - Part II - read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hospital admissions in England now way passed phase 1 peak

ErOrOJXXMAEvH6a?format=png&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Rapid tests are now available in my Borough. If I'm not displaying symptoms or if I've not been instructed to self isolate but I still want a test I can now book one and get results within half an hour.

I know the accuracy of these rapid flow tests isn't amazing but I don't see much harm in this approach either. Whether it's a good use of public funds is another question altogether though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

Hospital admissions in England now way passed phase 1 peak

ErOrOJXXMAEvH6a?format=png&name=small

Thanks for the image. It is crazy how it is evolutioning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Feckin crazy scenes in the UK

Two arrests made because people were exercising too much (arrest one) and drinking coffee on a bench (arrest two)

Not two mad lads either, two middle aged women

https://streamable.com/p1zvyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

"Talk about Freedom of Speech people, f*ckin tyranny, f*ckin tyranny"

And now I've just read this, not one bit surprised to be honest but that video going viral is going to cause plenty of damage, exactly as intended.

"Assistant Chief Constable Mark Callaghan, from Dorset Police, said: "We believe this video was planned, stage-managed and recorded by members of the protest group who turned up in multiple areas, several of whom refused to engage or provide their details.

"If people refuse to give their details in such circumstances then it leaves officers with little option, but to arrest until the details are established. Our officers would only arrest as a last resort.

"It was clear that the group was deliberately organising their activities, walking around in twos and then trying to come together in a 'flash mob'-style approach, as they have done previously. This activity went on for a couple of hours.".

The force said two of those held were later de-arrested when they confirmed their details in police custody and a third was released when his details were verified - all three were then issued fixed penalty notices."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

S.M.B. wrote: »
    "Talk about Freedom of Speech people, f*ckin tyranny, f*ckin tyranny"

And now I've just read this, not one bit surprised to be honest but that video going viral is going to cause plenty of damage, exactly as intended.

"Assistant Chief Constable Mark Callaghan, from Dorset Police, said: "We believe this video was planned, stage-managed and recorded by members of the protest group who turned up in multiple areas, several of whom refused to engage or provide their details.

I knew it looked too crazy to be true

Great acting by the "victims" for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I knew it looked too crazy to be true

Great acting by the "victims" for sure

These are the types that would be harassing the police virus or no virus.

They love playing the victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Decent piece from sky news on 2020 all cause civilian mortality per 1000 population (doesn't seem to be age adjusted) in the uk. Very large increase in mortality compared to 2019 and other recent years. But still, mortality is back to levels last seen in 2003 which was hardly the apocalypse or ancient history.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-how-mortality-rates-in-2020-compare-with-past-decades-and-centuries-12185275

The decrease in all cause mortality from 2003 to 2019 will be mainly due to reductions in deaths from cardiovascular disease. The question would then be, has this resulted in an older population of more frail people who are kept alive by modern medicine (in many cases with fairly poor quality of life) and are sitting ducks when some new infection arises.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Experts saying the UK would be left behind on the vaccine front, remember that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 oharach7

statesaver wrote: »
    Experts saying the UK would be left behind on the vaccine front, remember that ?

UK figures just updated for today - approx. 4.2 doses now administered per 100 people

NI 5.3
    England 4.4
    Scotland 3.3
    Wales 2.9

(ROI currently about 0.7)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Germany, France and Denmark sourcing their own vaccines. They tell all others in this supposed union EU you can't do that.

And Ireland obeys like the subservient pussy it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

statesaver wrote: »
    Germany, France and Denmark sourcing their own vaccines. They tell all others in this supposed union EU you can't do that.

And Ireland obeys like the subservient pussy it is.

citation needed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

GP surgery near me has just posted on Facebook that they have now run two sessions of administer the Pfizer vaccine. Surprised that they are doing that in GP surgerys as would have thought the whole -70 thing would be a complication too many.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

robinph wrote: »
    GP surgery near me has just posted on Facebook that they have now run two sessions of administer the Pfizer vaccine. Surprised that they are doing that in GP surgerys as would have thought the whole -70 thing would be a complication too many.

Apparently the asda are going to be providing the vaccine according to ITV,I wonder if it might include branches in other parts of the UK (ie:NI)in future?
    https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-13/asda-to-become-first-supermarket-to-offer-covid-19-vaccinations

Latest vaccination figures just released for UK - now up to 4.5 doses per 100 population (4.2 yesterday).

NI 5.6 (5.3 yesterday)
    England 4.7 (4.4 yesterday)
    Scotland 3.6 (3.3 yesterday)
    Wales 3.2 (2.9 yesterday)

The Welsh Conservatives (the opposition in Cardiff) have been asking questions today as to why Wales seems to be falling behind - Labour run the health service there. This is the kind of real time accountability that could be possible if Ireland moved to daily reporting.

Also interesting that a significant number of second doses have been given in England and NI (much less in Scotland and Wales). It would appear that some doctors are going against the CMO guidance and honouring appointments booked before the change in guidance on timing of the second dose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Apparently the asda are going to be providing the vaccine according to ITV,I wonder if it might include branches in other parts of the UK (ie:NI)in future?
    https://www.itv.com/news/2021-01-13/asda-to-become-first-supermarket-to-offer-covid-19-vaccinations

Guess their George clothing sales have fallen through the floor then and looking for better use of the spare space temporarily. All good though the more places to get it available ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Feckin crazy scenes in the UK

Two arrests made because people were exercising too much (arrest one) and drinking coffee on a bench (arrest two)

Not two mad lads either, two middle aged women

https://streamable.com/p1zvyy

I think you are making too much of a bid deal about this.

It's a nation of 65+ million people. Imagine the number of police/citizen interactions per day. You can't expect total perfectness in these unusual times.

Don't get your latter point either. Do middle aged women not ever break the law, only 'mad lads'.

Here's a situation I've experienced in the last few days which may be of interest here.
    A work colleague had a positive covid test,the results had taken a day or so to come through.
    He informed our employer and messaged everyone who had contact with him.
    Myself and another bloke had the symptom free quick tests(results in half an hour)which came back negative.
    The next day my colleague felt a bit rough so went for a symptoms test(results take up to 24-48 hours)that came back positive I then had the 24-48 hour test which has also come back positive today.
    I'm only posting this because if anyone else is going for a test try to insist on the 24-48 one as I'd definitely question the accuracy of the half hour result one.Also,I've continued to work right through all the pandemic so far and been fine but this new strain is frightening in it's infection rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,240 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sorry to hear about your positive test

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Here's a situation I've experienced in the last few days which may be of interest here.
    A work colleague had a positive covid test,the results had taken a day or so to come through.
    He informed our employer and messaged everyone who had contact with him.
    Myself and another bloke had the symptom free quick tests(results in half an hour)which came back negative.
    The next day my colleague felt a bit rough so went for a symptoms test(results take up to 24-48 hours)that came back positive I then had the 24-48 hour test which has also come back positive today.
    I'm only posting this because if anyone else is going for a test try to insist on the 24-48 one as I'd definitely question the accuracy of the half hour result one.Also,I've continued to work right through all the pandemic so far and been fine but this new strain is frightening in it's infection rate.

Janey that's rough.

Stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Boris Johnson announces UK to close “all travel corridors” from 4am Monday - passengers will need a negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure, and mandatory quarantine for 10 days after arrival

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Boris Johnson announces UK to close “all travel corridors” from 4am Monday - passengers will need a negative PCR test within 72 hours of departure, and mandatory quarantine for 10 days after arrival

I wonder will he allow the horse that's bolted back in without a test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Patser

Sweet jesus

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55738174

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Things are really really bad in London - they are converting buses into makeshift ambulances.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/21/london-buses-turned-into-ambulances-to-ease-covid-strain

bob mcbob wrote: »
    Things are really really bad in London - they are converting buses into makeshift ambulances.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/21/london-buses-turned-into-ambulances-to-ease-covid-strain

Not really ambulances though, other than they class vehicles that bus people between hospitals as ambulances.

It's just busses being used for bussing people about with a couple of doctors/ nurses on board at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Patser wrote: »

Sweet jesus

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55738174

Just to point out that 1,820 dying with Covid is not the same as 1,820 dying of Covid.

Still very sobering. I am in England and it does start to feel like there is a circle closing as I know personally know more and more people getting it. Practically knocking at the front door at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

This news is also scary:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/22/new-uk-covid-variant-may-be-more-deadly-says-boris-johnson

As well as being more contagious, the so-called U.K. strain, B117, is also more lethal, by 30%.

gutenberg wrote: »
    This news is also scary:

As well as being more contagious, the so-called U.K. strain, B117, is also more lethal, by 30%.

Not to be overly optimistic, but:

- the Guardian article and the PM said that the new strain "may" be more lethal by up to 30%, it's not confirmed. The degree of additional infectiousness of the new strain was initially reported as 70% but Johnson is now talking about an increase of between 30 and 70%.

- there are now a number of approved treatments that reduce the mortality of coronavirus by a substantial amount, with more in late stage testing. Clearly this is a setback but my sense is that taking the available treatments into account, the new variant is still less deadly than coronavirus was in the early days. It would be good to see a graphic showing if my understanding is correct.

- the UK has now provided first doses of the vaccine to over 8% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭PommieBast

oharach7 wrote: »
    - the Guardian article and the PM said that the new strain "may" be more lethal by up to 30%, it's not confirmed. The degree of additional infectiousness of the new strain was initially reported as 70% but Johnson is now talking about an increase of between 30 and 70%.

The FT had this interesting bit:
    However, there is no evidence that, once someone is in hospital with coronavirus, the new variant increases the risk of dying.
    That suggests the extra lethality might actually be due to people simply not getting treated..

• Advertisement

gutenberg wrote: »
    This news is also scary:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/22/new-uk-covid-variant-may-be-more-deadly-says-boris-johnson

In my own and colleagues experience the new strain is more contagious but doesn't appear any more deadly than the original.

Advertisement