Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warm Board in my Boxroom

• 23-07-2020 7:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Been looking into warmboarding the exterior walls of my boxroom with Xtratherm plasterboard/foam, 37.5mm??

what is the recommended thickness in general. The house is circa 1970's with cavity block or hollow block, whatever they are called, no insulation on the inside....
    Many thanks

R

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Hi Folks,

Been looking into warmboarding the exterior walls of my boxroom with Xtratherm plasterboard/foam, 37.5mm??

what is the recommended thickness in general. The house is circa 1970's with cavity block or hollow block, whatever they are called, no insulation on the inside....
    Many thanks

R
    Im not sure on the depth you would need but I've fitted some 52.5mm insulated plasterboard to a neighbouring bedroom wall to conceal some television cables,
    And I'd like to share with you the method to securing the insulated plasterboard which helps to keep the sheets tight to the ceiling.

Using a saddle board and banister for a stair case;
    Bot purchased for under €10 from local DIY store, I later returned the saddle board for a refund.
    As saw here:
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?do=findComment&comment=615932

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭raspberrypi67

LenWoods wrote: »
    Im not sure on the depth you would need but I've fitted some 52.5mm insulated plasterboard to a neighbouring bedroom wall to conceal some television cables,
    And I'd like to share with you the method to securing the insulated plasterboard which helps to keep the sheets tight to the ceiling.

Using a saddle board and banister for a stair case;
    Bot purchased for under €10 from local DIY store, I later returned the saddle board for a refund.
    As saw here:
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?do=findComment&comment=615932

I see what you mean, very good.

There are metal insulating fixings with mushroom heads, I'm told these are easy to install as fixings on warmboard. I'm using just 38mm but I'm taking the old platerboard off. Now nothng here is too difficult , I just seem to fail in finding a video for actually putting in these anchoring pins or nails, do I use a hammer? A guy in the shop actually showed me a bag of these things, they have a thermal plastic bit that goes over the metal head, stops the cold from coming through then, I imagine...Not sure why they cant use something other than metal??

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EvanUpwards

Your best to use the 52.5mm board if you can. It will make a difference. As for the fixing, you can dot and dab the boards to the wall then add 2 or 3 mushroom fixings, these are usually 8mm thick and either metal or plastic. Metal are easier to use and cover to prevent thermal bridging and possible rust. You will need a good hammer drill or SDS drill with a long 8mm drill bit to drill through the board and into the concrete. then hammer in the fixings to just below paper level. Building regs also allow you to just use mushroom fixings with no dot and dab but you will have to check the amount needed relative to the board size. I also believe you need to use metal fixings in this case.

Advertisement