Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build

Options
  • 23-07-2020 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Anybody got an average price per square metre on what builders charge for a new build in the midlands. Laois Offaly area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Is direct labour still a thing these days or do you need to go through a builder for a new build?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€2-€2.5k

Gumbo wrote: »
    €2-€2.5k

Are those Laois or Dublin prices ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are those Laois or Dublin prices ?

Building a house in just outside Cork City main builder, all in move in price for my build including PC sums for flooring kitchen etc is working out at €2300/sqm fairly high spec

A2 rated

That includes also all professional fees and planning contribution of 6k

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I’ve been following a few of these thread and The Dublin/Cork (Seems to be the majority of posters) are quoting astronomical prices, I’d price locally.

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    I’ve been following a few of these thread and The Dublin/Cork (Seems to be the majority of posters) are quoting astronomical prices, I’d price locally.

I’m wondering whether to buy or build. Just wanted a rough guide for these areas

I’m wondering whether to buy or build. Just wanted a rough guide for these areas

If you haven’t got a site it’s not going to be cheap to build.

If you haven’t got a site it’s not going to be cheap to build.

Sites are 80k ish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Would agree about the astronomical rates above. Although depends if they’re builders finish or turnkey.

I’m currently pricing a 4 bed bungalow, 2600 sq ft in north Kildare, and the couple own the site already, it was inherited, which is different I know.

Haven’t even done a full cost summary analysis for them yet as I’ve just got the details over last weekend but I’m looking at ballpark €1500 per sqm for a builders finish only. All local labor and suppliers

I do a lot for old friends in mid Ulster and you can get a fine house for £85-100 per sq ft.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Would agree about the astronomical rates above. Although depends if they’re builders finish or turnkey.

I’m currently pricing a 4 bed bungalow, 2600 sq ft in north Kildare, and the couple own the site already, it was inherited, which is different I know.

Haven’t even done a full cost summary analysis for them yet as I’ve just got the details over last weekend but I’m looking at ballpark €1500 per sqm for a builders finish only. All local labor and suppliers

I do a lot for old friends in mid Ulster and you can get a fine house for £85-100 per sq ft.

My house if you take purely builders finish is about €1700/sqrm (inc triple glazed aluclad, underfloor heating with A2W and MHRV) and this is just for my construction costs nothing else....but what are you going to do after the builder is gone? are you going to put down flooring, paint the place, put in a kitchen, sanitary and bit of landscaping

Also my house is an A2 architecturally designed split level and has a passive insulated foundation so there is a bit of a premium on it.

My point is do you want just 4 walls and a roof and don't really care about how it looks then you can get a house built reasonably cheaply but don't fool yourself with builders finish prices and other "hidden" costs. If you just want a house then you will buy one cheaper than building one, but if you want to build your dream house then you want to do it properly

Yes my €2300/sqrm might look pricy but that is a turn key price for everything it will cost me (excluding the site) and will cost you eventually.

You need to go in with your eyes open.

• Advertisement

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    My house if you take purely builders finish is about €1700/sqrm (inc triple glazed aluclad, underfloor heating with A2W and MHRV) and this is just for my construction costs nothing else....but what are you going to do after the builder is gone? are you going to put down flooring, paint the place, put in a kitchen, sanitary and bit of landscaping

Also my house is an A2 architecturally designed split level and has a passive insulated foundation so there is a bit of a premium on it.

My point is do you want just 4 walls and a roof and don't really care about how it looks then you can get a house built reasonably cheaply but don't fool yourself with builders finish prices and other "hidden" costs. If you just want a house then you will buy one cheaper than building one, but if you want to build your dream house then you want to do it properly

Yes my €2300/sqrm might look pricy but that is a turn key price for everything it will cost me (excluding the site) and will cost you eventually.

You need to go in with your eyes open.

Yep, I’d agree.
    Strangely though I get a lot of people asking for builders finish only. They then tip away at bits themselves, leaving full rooms empty and unfinished, never really got it.
    Ok they mightn’t have the money but I’d rather have all done right before I step into where you are going to spend the majority of your life (unless you have a crap commute and employer :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yep, I’d agree.
    Strangely though I get a lot of people asking for builders finish only. They then tip away at bits themselves, leaving full rooms empty and unfinished, never really got it.
    Ok they mightn’t have the money but I’d rather have all done right before I step into where you are going to spend the majority of your life (unless you have a crap commute and employer :D )

Depends on if you are getting a mortgage or not to build your house. If you are, then you'd be crazy to use it for anything other than a builders finish. You will make massive savings by cutting your mortgage, and therefore the interest you pay, just by getting what you need to move in done first. Then you can use your own money to get the finish you want, and not be extorted for doing so by a bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 YouTalking2me

Have a good friend who also did this and saved a ton on his mortgage.

And I can only imagine the extra he's gonna save with the accrued interest as well.

Is direct labour an option anymore?

What my parents and plenty of family members did. Finished rooms themselves as years went on when they had the money/needed rooms. Nothing at all wrong with doing this imo.

Each to their own, me personally I would hate to live in a half finished house for years, life's too short. There is always something else to spend your money on as you get kids etc. Mortgage money is the cheapest money you will ever get so do as much as you can in my opinion and move in and enjoy your house.

Is direct labour an option anymore?

Not unless you want a nervous breakdown....houses these days with NZEB regs with airtightness, heat pumps, heat recovery ventilation etc are complex things to build. People still do it but from what I hear their hearts are broken afterwards and would never do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Not unless you want a nervous breakdown....houses these days with NZEB regs with airtightness, heat pumps, heat recovery ventilation etc are complex things to build. People still do it but from what I hear their hearts are broken afterwards and would never do it again.

It suits someone who is already in construction with a trade. They would have the network of contacts and overview needed.
    And a good engineer with detailed drawings.

... and has a passive insulated foundation so there is a bit of a premium on it.

Fair play to you. Only way to build as far as I'm concerned.
    The main builder charged you a premium for the foundation?

housetypeb wrote: »
    It suits someone who is already in construction with a trade. They would have the network of contacts and overview needed.
    And a good engineer with detailed drawings.

Well I’m a plumber by trade and would have all the necessary contacts. Would anyone know how much I’d save going down the direct labour route?

Only way to find that out is when you get your drawings, go out to each trade one by one.

Then send it out to a few lads who will do the full package. Can’t say I would know off hand unfortunately, I’m sure there are more experienced heads on here.

• Advertisement

Well I’m a plumber by trade and would have all the necessary contacts. Would anyone know how much I’d save going down the direct labour route?

I’ve heard of €95 per sq foot direct labour. I’ve also spoken separately to a plumber and an electrician who are obviously “in the trade” and both of them said unless you want to dedicate your life to it, just get a builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭dh1985

I’ve heard of €95 per sq foot direct labour. I’ve also spoken separately to a plumber and an electrician who are obviously “in the trade” and both of them said unless you want to dedicate your life to it, just get a builder.

I built two years ago (self build) not to nzeb but to the regs before that. 98e was the cost per square ft. 2400 sqft fairly high standard of finish but did have to sacrifice on some small things. Simple traditional design though. Some of the houses been designed now are very complex and will add cost no doubt. The 98e includes everything from planning submittal to furnishings and a bit of work outside. Inside completely finished. No tar yet or garage. Prices have definitely increased since but some of the prices I see quoted here and elsewhere are astronomical.

dh1985 wrote: »
    I built two years ago (self build) not to nzeb but to the regs before that. 98e was the cost per square ft. 2400 sqft fairly high standard of finish but did have to sacrifice on some small things. Simple traditional design though. Some of the houses been designed now are very complex and will add cost no doubt. The 98e includes everything from planning submittal to furnishings and a bit of work outside. Inside completely finished. No tar yet or garage. Prices have definitely increased since but some of the prices I see quoted here and elsewhere are astronomical.
    Including the site?

Including the site?

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

dh1985 wrote: »

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭dh1985

actuar90 wrote: »
    Where are you based?

North Midlands.

No not including the site. That was my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I can only imagine 2.5k per sq meter is in Dublin, with marble floors and gold taps.

Like, that’s half a million for what is now considered a pretty modest house, excluding land cost. I think it’s bananas.

I’m in BMW region and I’m fairly certain I can get a decent spec for 1.5 excluding site cost. Even at that the average GAA palace is costing well over 400k before a stick of furniture is bought.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I can only imagine 2.5k per sq meter is in Dublin, with marble floors and gold taps.

Like, that’s half a million for what is now considered a pretty modest house, excluding land cost. I think it’s bananas.

I’m in BMW region and I’m fairly certain I can get a decent spec for 1.5 excluding site cost. Even at that the average GAA palace is costing well over 400k before a stick of furniture is bought.

The difference is that an average house is 100 square meters, not a 250 sq. Meter Mac mansion built along a ribbon road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Gumbo wrote: »
    The difference is that an average house is 100 square meters, not a 250 sq. Meter Mac mansion built along a ribbon road.

I’m planning on 165 sq metres, bigger than I thought originally but I don’t think it’s excessive. It’s fairly rural but can’t argue with the ribbon bit, though almost every road has been subject to ribbon development over the last 2 decades.

100 square metres would be quite modest and in line with what we used to call ‘council’ houses. I certainly don’t see too many building that size.

• Advertisement

Haven’t even done a full cost summary analysis for them yet as I’ve just got the details over last weekend but I’m looking at ballpark €1500 per sqm for a builders finish only. All local labor and suppliers...

That cost should come down more if the self builder is able to do some of the work himself, for instance, the plumbing or the carpentry or the blockwork.
    Finding the time to do it yourself is the hard part if you're working on other sites full time though.

Advertisement