Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

offenses commited while on bail

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

hierro wrote: »
    Solicitors are paid either per charge sheet or incident, I'm not sure.

Some solicitors will claim the first two charge sheets and pass the next pair to another solicitor in the practice. That original solicitor will work the case.

The first charge sheet is say 125 and the second is say 100, the third 50 and so on, for the first day at least. By passing the third sheet to your colleague, the practice earns 125 for the third sheet. Bill is 350 as opposed to 275. Estimated figures.

I agree with you to an extent - however passing a cert to a colleague in the office might not be available if the solr is a sole practitioner (and many defence solrs are outside Dublin) and also it requires the Judges discretion which is not always given.

My point was to the poster who said an accused with 41 convictions means the lawyers got paid 41 times - that's not the case in reality

In any event the fees paid under the legal aid scheme are quite modest and there are certainly other areas of practice that pay better.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If anyone wants to see how disgusting our justice system is for putting away seriously dangerous people, read the RTE story on Bottler Devoy...

15 years for latest deadly crime. Be out before he is 50.

Lifetime of serious crime.....and continually allowed free to continue it.

This country and its dealing with menaces to society is abhorrent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I agree that we should have lengthy sentences for violent offenders, anyone convicted of crimes against the person. The sanctions should get higher for repeat offending. That would fill the prisons to the extent that lesser offences would need to be dealt with by alternative means, a poster above mentioned community service, tagging, curfews etc, which should be strictly enforced.

A lot of crime, robberies, thefts etc, are linked to drug use, treatment services need serious investment to break the cycle of reoffending, creating a win-win for victim and perpetrator. The current system to access treatment is crazy. Hardly any detox beds, addicts must be clean for weeks before being offered a treatment bed, no urinalysis services in most counties for those that want an incentive to stop. So Courts can ask for clean urines, but there’s no service to provide those urines. I’m surprised some canny entrepreneur hasn’t filled that gap in the market yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Akesh wrote: »
    Parole boards

Would make for a cracking forum. :pac:

Advertisement