Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to recover Whatsapp Messages off old phone?

Options
  • 23-07-2020 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi, experiences of the following issue welcome.

Basically, my query boils down to whether you can reactivate whatsapp on an old iphone to back it up, after having activated whatsapp on a new iphone?

Longer story: I water damaged my old iPhone which stopped working. I hadn't backed up my whatsapp messages in about a year and there are some photos and messages I would like to get if possible, for sentimental reasons. The photos in whatsapp were not sent to my photos folder so I need to access whatsapp.

Tech shop have managed to power battery up enough so that phone can be backed up, though the charging port is fecked so phone can't be reused.

It took them 2 weeks to do so, so I purchased a new phone in mean time and activated whatsapp on it. I haven't activated the backup on it.

What I'm wondering is, if I put my sim into my old phone and reactivate/reverify whatsapp on that phone, would I be able to backup my whatsapp on it as it was 2 weeks ago to icloud? Then I could reinstall whatsapp on my new phone and back it up?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Yeah it should be possible but you’ll lose whatever chats are on your new phone from the past two weeks.

Just log in to WhatsApp on the old phone. You don’t need to put the sim in just enter the verification text you receive. Then go and backup to iCloud. If there’s videos you want make sure the backup videos button is enabled.

Once the backup is done delete WhatsApp from your new phone and download it again. It should find the backup in your iCloud and restore all your chats and pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭thewiseowl12

Perfect, thanks very much for that!

Advertisement