Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ms. McHugh and national broadcaster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yurt! wrote: »
    Where are the goalposts gone?!? They've left the stadium.

Look up how student repayments in the UK works. I'm not doing it for you.

She's from Achill, get a grip.

Are you thinking of a maintenance student loan?? Sersh wouldn't qualify. All of this info is available online.

A maintenance loan is also available to help with living costs whilst studying in the UK.

• EU students who have lived in the UK for a least five years are eligible to receive maintenance support
    • The amount a student receives is dependent on where they live and study
    • Maintenance loans have to be paid back, but not until a student has graduated and is earning over £25,000 per year

She would qualify for a UK govt backed loan, but these need to be paid back.

"postgraduate students are eligible to apply for government backed loans worth up to £10,000."

So a govt backed student loan would pay for half of her course. Still £12k off doing the minimum priced postgrad in Lancaster, then there's rent, food etc. It all adds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This thread is like the poltical equivalent of Goldilocks and the three bears.

"This poltician is too rich. This politician is too poor. This politician is... well I'm not sure, but I'll hatepost on her anyway."

politician
    /pɒlɪˈtɪʃ(ə)n/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a person who is professionally involved in politics, especially as a holder of an elected office.

Don't think Sersh qualifies as a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

lads achill isnt ****in penury

We're aware. But we have posters trying to suggest it's some offshore colony of millionaires and trust fund kids.

This thread started out ridiculous, and has not disappointed in its consistency.

This thread is like the poltical equivalent of Goldilocks and the three bears.

"This poltician is too rich. This politician is too poor. This politician is... well I'm not sure, but I'll hatepost on her anyway."

lookit

between most of one side seemingly determined to only attack silly things about her and the other side determined to behave as if she is to be shrilly protected from any criticism its pointless

again: those shocked (shocked!) that anyone would have a cut at their fave are very happily silent or themselves participate when other public figures get an unfair/cheap kicking.

it makes the high moral ground seem a bit of a hollow spot tbh

politician
    /pɒlɪˈtɪʃ(ə)n/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun
    a person who is professionally involved in politics, especially as a holder of an elected office.

Don't think Sersh qualifies as a politician.

OK. Two thumbs up for you.

If she's not a politician by your metric what are you getting hot and bothered about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

OK. Two thumbs up for you.

If she's not a politician by your metric what are you getting hot and bothered about?

In the same way most reasonable people would be bothered if RTE kept doing specials on doctors and brought out dr.phil from that grimey US show.

We're aware. But we have posters trying to suggest it's some offshore colony of millionaires and trust fund kids.

This thread started out ridiculous, and has not disappointed in its consistency.

there are posters querying her connection to daily lived reality for many of her constituents

seems fair

there are posters demanding receipts for every meal she ate while a student

which is ridiculous

achill has ppl with money, people without money, ppl with feet on the ground and ppl without

as i said, the side who wont hear any criticism of her political approach the past few years are happy to respond to the nonsense attacks on her (and they are nonsense)

which is good message management, but it doesnt change anything about what the off-boards, off-twitter impression of all this will be imo

"that girl seemed good that time. wasnt great in the other debates. breath of fresh air. mightnt be a great td. lot of messing about with the greens. oh shes quit? saw that coming. ah well im sure she'll get plenty of soft gigs on the back of it."

neither a disaster for her nor the great victory for eco-anarchism that some think, really

lookit

between most of one side seemingly determined to only attack silly things about her and the other side determined to behave as if she is to be shrilly protected from any criticism its pointless

again: those shocked (shocked!) that anyone would have a cut at their fave are very happily silent or themselves participate when other public figures get an unfair/cheap kicking.

it makes the high moral ground seem a bit of a hollow spot tbh

Criticism is fine. And if you've read my contributions you'll be aware she doesn't stir me politically.

The anti contributers are reaching for the fact she went to college, and they don't know how it was payed for (oh goodness, I don't know, loans?)

What's there to hate? And some of the posters here are foaming at the mouth tbh.

They don't like that she has a different world view, and they don't like she has gotten airtime in a crucial week for the Greens.

We're in a democracy. People should get used to it. The angry right are a match for any head-the-ball on the left.

Are you thinking of a maintenance student loan?? Sersh wouldn't qualify. All of this info is available online.

A maintenance loan is also available to help with living costs whilst studying in the UK.

• EU students who have lived in the UK for a least five years are eligible to receive maintenance support
    • The amount a student receives is dependent on where they live and study
    • Maintenance loans have to be paid back, but not until a student has graduated and is earning over £25,000 per year

She would qualify for a UK govt backed loan, but these need to be paid back.

"postgraduate students are eligible to apply for government backed loans worth up to £10,000."

So a govt backed student loan would pay for half of her course. Still £12k off doing the minimum priced postgrad in Lancaster, then there's rent, food etc. It all adds up.

Are you putting the pieces of the puzzle together yet?

Irish students are exempt from the 5 year requirement to apply FYI, always have been.

Criticism is fine. And if you've read my contributions you'll be aware she doesn't stir me politically.

The anti contributers are reaching for the fact she went to college, and they don't know how it was payed for (oh goodness, I don't know, loans?)

What's there to hate? And some of the posters here are foaming at the mouth tbh.

They don't like that she has a different world view, and they don't like she has gotten airtime in a crucial week for the Greens.

We're in a democracy. People should get used to it. The angry right are a match for any head-the-ball on the left.

nothing in that to disagree with

didnt really address the main point i was making tho

attacking/defending on points of principle only works when you extend the principle to the politicians and figures you dislike or dont agree with

otherwise its just masked partisan behaviour, and a fairly flimsy mask too id add

• Advertisement

nothing in that to disagree with

didnt really address the main point i was making tho

attacking/defending on points of principle only works when you extend the principle to the politicians and figures you dislike or dont agree with

otherwise its just masked partisan behaviour, and a fairly flimsy mask too id add

Bingo. For all we know or don't know about Saoirse's parents background, there are polticians on the right far more guilty about trust fundism or simply being boosted by their parents poltical background.

Yet, we have an Inspector Morse here investigating Saoirse's student loan history. Crazy stuff if you ask me.

3) People are sick of the stereotypical left politician who's never worked a day in their lives , lived off their parents money and then tries to get elected to tell us how the real world should operate despite having never been in it.

You're strangely silent on FF/FG politicians who are leagues more likely to come from that background.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Saoirse sure does generate an awful lot of reaction from the same people who are saying she should be ignored

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

cml387 wrote: »
    I notice that she says that her cause cannot be advanced by "electoral politics".

What exactly does that mean?

start stockpiling ammo and dynamite, fill the breaches, man the mortars.

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How many greens in total resigned today?

A number of absolute nobodies who were GP members felt the need to announce their departure on social media anyway.

Some of these people have their head so far up their arse it's unbelievable, a vastly inflated sense of importance and relevance.

I voted GP, #1 preference too, because I liked the policies around transport etc. But what a fcuking shambles they have been since. Between trying to avoid going in to government, with a vocal set of members wanting to remain hurlers on the ditch, to then having a leadership contest right after your best ever election result. They are lucky Fianna Fail decided to wear their clown costumes at the start of this new government or they'd look even worse.

You're strangely silent on FF/FG politicians who are leagues more likely to come from that background.

which FF/FG politicians have never held paid employment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

because most moderate/centerist/dare I say imaginary right politicians have careers before being politicians and don't have the luxury/the brass neck to laze about going to protests and running a vegetable garden before deciding that they'd contribute to society as politicians.
    because most moderate/centerist/dare I say imaginary right politicians have careers before being politicians and don't have the luxury/the brass neck to laze about going to protests and running a vegetable garden

Have you actually analysed that?

Thomas Pringle/Catherine Connelly/Joan Collins/Brid Smith/RBB/Clare Daly/Ruth Coppinger/Mick Barry - some of the more prominent current/recent left reps all had jobs/careers before politics.

I think you're simply allowing an ideological bias get in the way of objective argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

which FF/FG politicians have never held paid employment ?

Jack Chambers, afaik

MFPM wrote: »
    Have you actually analysed that?

Thomas Pringle/Catherine Connelly/Joan Collins/Brid Smith/RBB/Clare Daly/Ruth Coppinger/Mick Barry - some of the more prominent current/recent left reps all had jobs/careers before politics.

I think you're simply allowing an ideological bias get in the way of objective argument.

what jobs did they all have ?

Just have a fcking job, do something 40 hours a week for a few years and then get in to politics, thats all we're asking. That said a few years collecting a cheque and then still preserving left wing ideals often don't go together.

Who's 'we'?

You also seem to be underplaying how hard it is for those on the left in small parties to get elected, in the main they have to work far harder that many in the larger parties.

Look at the Alan Dillon in Mayo - never uttered a political word in his life, never campaigned on an issue but as he's known for playing GAA, FG approach him to take a safish seat and lo and behold he's sitting in the f@cking Dail....not a word from you of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

awec wrote: »
    A number of absolute nobodies who were GP members felt the need to announce their departure on social media anyway.

Some of these people have their head so far up their arse it's unbelievable, a vastly inflated sense of importance and relevance.

I voted GP, #1 preference too, because I liked the policies around transport etc. But what a fcuking shambles they have been since. Between trying to avoid going in to government, with a vocal set of members wanting to remain hurlers on the ditch, to then having a leadership contest right after your best ever election result.They are lucky Fianna Fail decided to wear their clown costumes at the start of this new government or they'd look even worse.

The party's constitution mandates that they have an election contest within 6 months of every General Election.

Who's 'we'?

You also seem to be underplaying how hard it is for those on the left in small parties to get elected, in the main they have to work far harder that many in the larger parties.

Look at the Alan Dillon in Mayo - never uttered a political word in his life, never campaigned on an issue but as he's known for playing GAA, FG approach him to take a safish seat and lo and behold he's sitting in the f@cking Dail....not a word from you of course.

They make it hard on themselves by the fact that they can't align with one another in any meaningful way and so you end up with this alphabet soup of nonsense "parties".

Arghus wrote: »
    The party's constitution mandates that they have an election contest within 6 months of every General Election.

This is surely preconditioned on there being an actual challenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Is it because they are splitting, splintering and beating the living dung out of each other? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I voted GP, #1 preference too, because I liked the policies around transport etc. But what a fcuking shambles they have been since. Between trying to avoid going in to government, with a vocal set of members wanting to remain hurlers on the ditch, to then having a leadership contest right after your best ever election result. They are lucky Fianna Fail decided to wear their clown costumes at the start of this new government or they'd look even worse.

To be fair the leadership contest was a requirement of their constitution, they are required to have one after every election regardless of the outcome. Labour has the same clause I believe.

And the greens got a higher percentage in favour of the PfG than FF did so it's not really fair to complain that they didn't want to go into government either.

They make it hard on themselves by the fact that they can't align with one another in any meaningful way and so you end up with this alphabet soup of nonsense "parties".

I'm not sure that's a significant factor, given that many of those in the 'alphabet soup' as you disparagingly call them have been successful.

I'm not sure that's a significant factor, given that many of those in the 'alphabet soup' as you disparagingly call them have been successful.

Of course it's a significant factor. The vote on the left is totally fractured, they argue with one another as much as with the right.

Too many egos.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Amazing this thread runs to 30 pages . Shows she is indeed popular.
    Look Rte have to fill a lot of airtime. Thus practically anybody who got a wee bit of publicity attention gets on again and again.

But I think in her case it's because she is a woman. The matriarchy in RTE booted out Sean o Rourke to make way for one of their own.
    Though probably also due to fact that Sean was one of the few Catholics left in Rte. He didn't wanted to continue on a contract after age 65. Rte said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Arghus wrote: »

Indeed it does. However, as even the dumbest Green member/supporter is aware, if there's only one nomination for Party Leader then such an election isn't required.

• Advertisement

And the greens got a higher percentage in favour of the PfG than FF did so it's not really fair to complain that they didn't want to go into government either.

pretty disingenuous to elide the fact that one party has split up the middle and one hasnt

(yet)

Advertisement