Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ms. McHugh and national broadcaster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

elperello wrote: »
    McHugh is mocked as a failure for not getting elected.

Doherty is mocked despite getting elected.

Politics is truly a tough trade.

Actually, McHugh is being mocked for p1ssing upon the many GP members who worked so hard to try to get her elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

what jobs did they all have ?

Go and find out yourself and don't be so lazy...Collins worked in An Post/Daly in Aer Lingus/Mick Barry was a journalist...there's a start to help you out.

Actually, McHugh is being mocked for p1ssing upon the many GP members who worked so hard to try to get her elected.

Where is this happening exactly? I've seen little or no comment along those lines..

awec wrote: »
    Of course it's a significant factor. The vote on the left is totally fractured, they argue with one another as much as with the right.

Too many egos.

That all may indeed be true but it's not a decisive factor in why more from the left haven't been elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

pretty disingenuous to elide the fact that one party has split up the middle and one hasnt

(yet)

"Split up the middle" is a stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

MFPM wrote: »
    That all may indeed be true but it's not a decisive factor in why more from the left haven't been elected.

do you genuinely believe that theres a major factor aside from most Irish voters not voting for left politicians because they have made the educated choice not to ?

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Where is this happening exactly? I've seen little or no comment along those lines..

I think her comment about remaining in the party "turning her stomach" is very poor language to use and shows a level of disdain for the party and it's elected representatives and members.

I said it earlier in the thread, she is very naive.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Amazing this thread runs to 30 pages . Shows she is indeed popular.
    Look Rte have to fill a lot of airtime. Thus practically anybody who got a wee bit of publicity attention gets on again and again.

But I think in her case it's because she is a woman. The matriarchy in RTE booted out Sean o Rourke to make way for one of their own.
    Though probably also due to fact that Sean was one of the few Catholics left in Rte. He didn't wanted to continue on a contract after age 65. Rte said no.

He retired FFS....you're also aware they replaced finucane with a man, the matriarchy indeed...

How do you know he's one of the 'few catholics' in RTE - are you aware of the religious persusasion of all RTE staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You might read back the thread.
    There was a lot of concentration on her electoral failure.

I haven't seen any posts from GP members complaining of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

It's called "joined-up thinking" - you should try it sometime, you'll be amazed at how easy it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Indeed it does. However, as even the dumbest Green member/supporter is aware, if there's only one nomination for Party Leader then such an election isn't required.

According to the constitution it just says:

"The term of office of the Party Leader shall normally be five years, with a recurring option for
    further five year terms. However should a general election be called in the Republic of Ireland,
    leadership election must be held within six months following polling day"

I know they had leadership votes after the 2007 and 2011 general elections. I don't know what they did after 2016, the information seems hard to find.

Arghus wrote: »
    According to the constitution it just says:

"The term of office of the Party Leader shall normally be five years, with a recurring option for
    further five year terms. However should a general election be called in the Republic of Ireland,
    leadership election must be held within six months following polling day"

I know they had leadership votes after the 2007 and 2011 general elections. I don't know what they did after 2016, the information seems hard to find.

Yes, but there still needs to be a challenger. If nobody challenged Ryan (which would be normal after the best ever election results) they may have had an "election", the result of which was a foregone conclusion and nobody would have cared.

Instead, Ryan had to spend time securing his own position while simultaneously forming a government. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It's called "joined-up thinking" - you should try it sometime, you'll be amazed at how easy it is.

So no one has said it in the 30 pages of comments where the issue has been discussed extensively but you’ve decided it’s the case so it is and that’s what passes for joined up thinking these days.

I think her comment about remaining in the party "turning her stomach" is very poor language to use and shows a level of disdain for the party and it's elected representatives and members.

I said it earlier in the thread, she is very naive.

Fine but back to your original point..
    McHugh is being mocked for p1ssing upon the many GP members who worked so hard to try to get her elected.

Where is this happening?
    "turning her stomach" is very poor language

But it's how she feels and she believes the GP have sold out principle for participation in a government based on a poor programme.
    shows a level of disdain for the party and it's elected representatives and members.

It shows a disdain for the decision to prop up FF and FG.

So I take it you can't find any of the alleged commentary either thus your descent into smart ass nonsense.

Fine but back to your original point..

Where is this happening?

But it's how she feels and she believes the GP have sold out principle for participation in a government based on a poor programme.

It shows a disdain for the decision to prop up FF and FG.

It may be how she feels but the manner in which she expressed it was arrogant and disrespectful, as if those who backed the PFG were beneath her.

She can be disappointed, nobody is forcing her to like it, but she should remember that a significant portion of Green voters got the outcome that they wanted. "Sold out principle for position" I am not so sure, I bet plenty of Green voters don't feel sold out and would have been frustrated had they passed up the chance to actually implement some policies rather than hurl from the ditch.

Politics is all about compromise, McHugh's idealistic approach is naive. If she wants to be an idealist, then politics is not for her and she is better off spending her time in some lobby group. By the sounds of it, she has finally realised that herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,529 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yes, but there still needs to be a challenger. If nobody challenged Ryan (which would be normal after the best ever election results) they may have had an "election", the result of which was a foregone conclusion and nobody would have cared.

Instead, Ryan had to spend time securing his own position while simultaneously forming a government. Ridiculous.

I agree that the timing and the circumstances weren't great, but at the same time there was/is divisions in the party.

If everyone was happy there wouldn't have been a leadership contest, but clearly a lot of people weren't, so there was. I don't know if stifling dissent for the sake of the optics would turn out to be the right approach.

A principled person in Irish politics is always newsworthy. A very rare breed.

If by "in Irish politics" you include everyone who is a card-carrying member of one of our political parties, then I am sure there are lots of them.

Their problem is they tend to be idealists, and idealists make terrible politicians. There are plenty of careerist snakes occupying political office in Ireland (just look at our current Minister for Health), but we shouldn't confuse compromise with a lack of principles either.

If by "in Irish politics" you include everyone who is a card-carrying member of one of our political parties, then I am sure there are lots of them.

Their problem is they tend to be idealists, and idealists make terrible politicians. There are plenty of careerist snakes occupying political office in Ireland (just look at our current Minister for Health), but we shouldn't confuse compromise with a lack of principles either.

It depends on the nature of the compromise though...ask the Labour Party!

• Advertisement

It may be how she feels but the manner in which she expressed it was arrogant and disrespectful, as if those who backed the PFG were beneath her.

She can be disappointed, nobody is forcing her to like it, but she should remember that a significant portion of Green voters got the outcome that they wanted. "Sold out principle for position" I am not so sure, I bet plenty of Green voters don't feel sold out and would have been frustrated had they passed up the chance to actually implement some policies rather than hurl from the ditch.

Politics is all about compromise, McHugh's idealistic approach is naive. If she wants to be an idealist, then politics is not for her and she is better off spending her time in some lobby group. By the sounds of it, she has finally realised that herself.
    but the manner in which she expressed it was arrogant and disrespectful, as if those who backed the PFG were beneath her.

It wasn't arrogant or disrespectful - she could have expressed it better but she seems to be someone who doesn't engage in bullish!t. There's nothing at all to suggest she thinks the backers of the PfG are beneath her, that's your own spin.
    that a significant portion of Green voters got the outcome that they wanted.

I don't think that was the outcome they wanted at the time of the election, we know for example that GP candidates benefitted significantly from left transfers but of course the disaffected FG voters primarily in Dublin who turned to the GP would have no issue with the GP doing a deal.
    I bet plenty of Green voters don't feel sold out and would have been frustrated had they passed up the chance to actually implement some policies rather than hurl from the ditch.

These binary positions are so disrespectful. Opposition politicians have significant achievements to thier name in recent years while hurling from the ditch as you disparagingly put it...there would be likely no Repeal ref or marriage equality, you'd be paying water charges and Martin Callinan would still be AGS commissioner and Maurice McCabe would be sitting in isolation somewhere...to name a few.
    Politics is all about compromise

Not compromise at all costs though..
    McHugh's idealistic approach is naive

You sound more and more like one of the pol.corrs in the broadsheets with all their cynicism...How on earth is standing over the ideas expressed by her party 'idealistic'?
    If she wants to be an idealist, then politics is not for her and she is better off spending her time in some lobby group.

Again with the cynical approach...politics is based on ideas and trying to implement ideas not betraying the very ideas you stand for....
    By the sounds of it, she has finally realised that herself

No, she's realised that the Ryan/Cuff wing of the Greens is dominant at the moment and she doesn't want to be a part of it.

McHugh should have stayed in the Greens and worked with others to build an opposition platform inside the party putting pressure on the likes of Catherine Martin, their opportunity will come, the Greens are unlikely to survive this latest stint in gov, they are vulnerable to FG on the right reclaiming their middle class Dublin vote and to Sinn fein on the left....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Almost 400 posts now and still going strong, I guess we can put the OPs question about her being newsworthy to bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

By principled, you mean someone who is happy to lie to her constituents and then giggles about it when she admits it??

By principled, you mean someone who is happy to lie to her constituents and then giggles about it when she admits it??

Have you considered the possibility that she was laughing because she wasn’t being entirely serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

KiKi III wrote: »
    Have you considered the possibility that she was laughing because she wasn’t being entirely serious?

So didn't answer the question honestly then?

Yes, I’m suggesting she was making a joke - you can call that lying if you want to be a massive pedant about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Wow, hold the press, a politician didn't answer a question honestly?

That's a first for Ireland. I take it all back, people here are correct for ridiculing her and saying it's right that she is gone.

I mean, she has broken the honorable code which every one seeking office has upheld since 1916.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

KiKi III wrote: »
    Yes, I’m suggesting she was making a joke - you can call that lying if you want to be a massive pedant about it.

I don't really think it a question you'd joke giving an answer to. As an aspiring politician, the answer could and would be used against you.

Why would you excuse such an answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

about as principled as Gemma o Doherty , sticking your fingers in your ears and turning your back on mainstream politics because you're right and everyone else is wrong sums it up more appropriately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't think she is principled though.

She was happy to be in the Green Party when she had a shot at being elected. It didn't work out so now she's off. Not much loyalty.

While standing for the Green Party, she publicly disagreed with and vowed to fight one of their main environmental policies because it would be very unpopular in her constituency. What is that if not gombeen parish pump politics?

She could have left any time in the last few months but chose the day the leadership election results came out to do so. She wanted to maximise her own exposure on a day that should have been about either Ryan or Martin.

Soooo, in what way is she principled?

Advertisement