Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ms. McHugh and national broadcaster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

KiKi III wrote: »
    Have you considered the possibility that she was laughing because she wasn’t being entirely serious?

She was being 100% serious. She believes in no borders anywhere.

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Would she leave the party right now if she were an elected Green TD? Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

awec wrote: »
    Would she leave the party right now if she were an elected Green TD? Not a chance.

Well, she did say in May 2019 that if the GP went into government with FG she would leave the party, given that she has followed through on that promise there is no reason to believe she wouldn't leave if she were a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

All around the world, people weigh up the pro's and con's of their situation to decide whether or not to make a stand on an issue or not.

Someone might not like the manner of their boss, but, they stay in the company because they need the job and it pays well and is close to home etc.
    But, if they were exposed to this manner at interview, or soon after starting, they might decide to take a job elsewhere telling people they couldn't work for someone like that.

Why do people like Saoirse in this case, have their principles discussed and dismissed because of a hypothetical situation as opposed to people who display no principles, at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

MFPM wrote: »
    Well, she did say in May 2019 that if the GP went into government with FG she would leave the party, given that she has followed through on that promise there is no reason to believe she wouldn't leave if she were a TD.

I think she would have followed through just so she could sit in opposition spitting bile.

People like Saoirse just want to give out about the system, not be part of it.

• Advertisement

about as principled as Gemma o Doherty , sticking your fingers in your ears and turning your back on mainstream politics because you're right and everyone else is wrong sums it up more appropriately.

More nonsense from you...

Comparing McHugh and O'Dohery is utterly disingenuous. McHugh isn't turning her back on politics, you seem incapable of seeing politics as more than anything that happens within the confines of Leinster House or some council chamber .

I think she would have followed through just so she could sit in opposition spitting bile.

And it continues...she's not spitting bile...she stated over a year ago that she would leave the Greens if they went into government with FG, she followed through on it. If she hadn't people like you would be slagging her off so she can't win in your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

MFPM wrote: »
    And it continues...she's not spitting bile...she stated over a year ago that she would leave the Greens if they went into government with FG, she followed through on it. If she hadn't people like you would be slagging her off so she can't win in your eyes.

or at the polling booth...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Arghus wrote: »
    The party's constitution mandates that they have an election contest within 6 months of every General Election.
    There was no compulsion to put yourself forward though

If she got a Minister job no way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

or at the polling booth...

Again, many politicians run multiple times building a profile and name recognition before they get elected. This isn’t unusual or a failure. It’s the normal run of things.

As opposed to people who sit on Boards, day in day out, moaning about the welfare state or the left or whatever the cause du jour is and never doing a single thing to change any of it.

Pots and kettles, Cartman.

Must explain why she devoted so much time in campaigning and advocating for better systems.

Definitely evidence there of someone who just wants to give out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Again, many politicians run multiple times building a profile and name recognition before they get elected. This isn’t unusual or a failure. It’s the normal run of things.

Hasn't she quit electoral politics though?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

None of those 51,000 voters in the West had any farms in the family?

The constituency she was in for the european election wasn't just in the west, it was huge and stretched as far as Louth and would have included urban areas where the Greens are more popular.

Its beef farming here in the west which McHugh and the Greens hate and they are hated back in rural areas west of the Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If she wanted to be effective in other ways, besides elected democratic politics and become more of an activist, she should have moved quietly. Whilst not elected she still had a good largely positive profile and could have built on that. Instead she has sullied the ground and damaged her name, by her method of leaving. Done to maximise her own name and damage the party she was leaving, not furthering the cause in which she believes.

She might do well to study AOC and her actions within the DNC in the USA.

Water John wrote: »
    If she wanted to be effective in other ways, besides elected democratic politics and become more of an activist, she should have moved quietly. Whilst not elected she still had a good largely positive profile and could have built on that. Instead she has sullied the ground and damaged her name, by her method of leaving. Done to maximise her own name and damage the party she was leaving, not furthering the cause in which she believes.

It was obvious over the last few months that she was going to leave but even so, what could she have done differently? She spoke up for what she believed and then backed her words with leaving.

I think, in fairness her and others leaving yesterday was because votes for the new Green Party leadership had closed Wednesday night so maybe they stayed until yesterday to cast their vote, or so as not to create negative story lines while others were voting. Either way, if she wanted to damage the party, she could have done more.

The story shouldn't have been about her, but the issues she supported. On that test, she failed and lost an opportunity. She knew she was going to leave with some time and thus has every opportunity to control the narrative. That is what a good political activist does.

The story shouldn't have been about her, but the issues she supported. On that test, she failed and lost an opportunity. She knew she was going to leave with some time and thus has every opportunity to control the narrative. That is what a good political activist does.

Any of the comments I saw her make since the GE were about the issues, the PFG, the efforts (or lack of) towards the environment and then specific comments in relation to her when asked about it.

Don't know how that was failing and losing an opportunity. What could she have done differently? At least this way, no one is wondering why she left or talking about a big bust up in the Greens, everyone knows her reasons for doing so.

The big and only story about her prior to leaving was her her personal health battle, which is not for debate here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The big and only story about her prior to leaving was her her personal health battle, which is not for debate here.

So why mention it?

Poor show.

Apart from seeing her comment on it on Twitter, I didn't see it discussed anywhere. Maybe I just missed it.

I did see her comment on several occasions on how the PfG was not good enough, how she and others felt misled in what the party wanted to achieve and how she felt there wasn't an appetite for driving for real change. Not saying you are wrong, but I am not sure what she could have done differently. Or why she should have either to be honest.

The only reason I felt it was obvious she was going to leave was because I noticed her liking a lot of tweets which were critical of the PfG and senior greens.

3 out of 4 members backed it, following an open party debate. I suspect many that did vote for it also have reservations. Hope the Greens have a very positive influence in Govn't. However, esp with agriculture, they seem not to be up to speed with the science. If they were they'd find themselves quite close an in harmony with the rural community.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It was obvious over the last few months that she was going to leave but even so, what could she have done differently? She spoke up for what she believed and then backed her words with leaving.

I think, in fairness her and others leaving yesterday was because votes for the new Green Party leadership had closed Wednesday night so maybe they stayed until yesterday to cast their vote, or so as not to create negative story lines while others were voting. Either way, if she wanted to damage the party, she could have done more.
    She could've waited till next week, next month to resign. She also didn't need to announce it.

It was no coincidence that her announcement was on the day the leadership election result was declared.

The constituency she was in for the european election wasn't just in the west, it was huge and stretched as far as Louth and would have included urban areas where the Greens are more popular.

Its beef farming here in the west which McHugh and the Greens hate and they are hated back in rural areas west of the Shannon.

Urban areas like Louth is where she got her vote? Hahahahahhahahahahaha.

Come on, now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

She might do well to study AOC and her actions within the DNC in the USA.

AOC, another clown.

Have a look at this and it shows how, AOC deals with an attack on her. She pivots it from herself to the general to further the rights of women, a cause she believes in;
    https://www.thejournal.ie/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-yoho-5158576-Jul2020/

She could've waited till next week, next month to resign. She also didn't need to announce it.

It was no coincidence that her announcement was on the day the leadership election result was declared.
    But then she wouldn't get as much media coverage and we all know how she loves that

AOC, another clown.

No surprise you think this.

One of the most impressive politicians worldwide at the moment, and has been pretty much since she started.

• Advertisement

She stated in May 2019 if the GP were to enter government with FG she would leave the party, she has followed through on this. She said recently she would await the conclusion of the leadership election and then leave, she has followed through on this. If she didn't follow through people like you would be attacking her for not following through, she'll never win in your eyes because you have a predisposed opposition to her full stop.

Advertisement