Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ms. McHugh and national broadcaster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ah but back in de day Joe was leader of USI and Fintan is wurkin' class!

And what age was Duffy then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

She gets a lot of attention though, and I don't really know why. The only real thing she's done of note was take on Peter Casey in a televised debate, which was years ago. To my knowledge she's never held a local or national elected office despite trying many (3?) times.

We really should be hearing about her as much as we do about Casey these days. Until she does something notable.

Has she ever had a job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Irishman80

Has she ever had a job?

Not a real job anyway.

Degree educated from UCD, Master education from England. I think she held a few positions in environmental groups - not sure if paid.

Lives in her own exclusive house on a small island where she grows her own food. Shes essentially a rich Daddys girl who became a farmer of sorts.(And I mean no disrespect to real farmers)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

MFPM wrote: »
    You must be exceedingly naive if you consider FF and in particular, FG to be anything but right-wing...FF historically have adopted a left veneer when it suits them while fundamentally wedded to the market.
    Rubbish
    FG are centre right economically (left socially) and FF are centre left. Together they are staunch centrists.

Only the most hysterical Marxist would consider them "right wing".

And i didnt vote for either btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

That's simply absurd....75% of their membership voted in favour of a poor programme for government with two right wing parties, a programme where the Greens won very little of substance - how on earth does this tally with their 'marxist' credentials?

According to Comrade Eamon Ryan it's a left wing document.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-31006619.html

In other words they believe in a 'soceity'?

if that's how you put it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

KyussB wrote: »
    Since when is austerity left-wing?

since when is a dole Christmas bonus right wing.

if we cherry pick elements from two centrist parties we will end up finding examples on both sides, both FF and FG are so close to centre its insane, calling them right or left wing does a dis-service to the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Irishman80 wrote: »
    Not a real job anyway.

Degree educated from UCD, Master education from England. I think she held a few positions in environmental groups - not sure if paid.

Lives in her own exclusive house on a small island where she grows her own food. Shes essentially a rich Daddys girl who became a farmer of sorts.(And I mean no disrespect to real farmers)
    What do you mean "rich Daddy's girl."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Her interview with Ivan Yates was car crash radio. Showed phenomenal lack of knowledge

Not a real job anyway.

How did she get to & fro England for her course?
    Did she fly? The shame

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You must be exceedingly naive if you consider FF and in particular, FG to be anything but right-wing...FF historically have adopted a left veneer when it suits them while fundamentally wedded to the market.
    KyussB wrote: »
    Since when is austerity left-wing?

Which of these is your favourite right-wing policy:
    • Increasing social welfare
    • Social welfare Christmas bonus
    • Increase in minimum wage
    • Free GP care for children under eight
    • Free dental care for children under six
    • HAP/Rent-allowance/help-to-buy etc
    • Increase in Home Carer Tax Credit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

topper75 wrote: »
    Attributes that are all true of many young failed candidates of all shades down the years.

So I'm afraid the mystery still stands for me.

Can you give an example or two?
    All highly debatable- 30 isn’t young, don’t think she’s good looking & why should that matter, and she speaks absolute incoherent nonsense with a quasi American accent while being from mayo.

Deserves no airtime until she does something in politics

30 is young in mainstream politics. I already explained why being good looking would matter; it makes her media friendly. If you're going to debate the point with me please make an effort to understand it first.

How did she get to & fro England for her course?
    Did she fly? The shame

She sailed over and back. That is where Greta got the idea for her UN stunt.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Can you give an example or two?

30 is young in mainstream politics. I already explained why being good looking would matter; it makes her media friendly. If you're going to debate the point with me please make an effort to understand it first.

Its not that hard to comprehend but I just dont agree with you on whether its true or it should matter.

Maybe for a month or so but usually journalists then start to dig into the person's policies & see is there any substance - this has not happened yet with regard to McHugh.

Otherwise every election would just be an extension of Miss Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Water John wrote: »
    Did she pick this time to make the Green leader election announcement as uncomfortable as possible for the selected leader?
    Will the first Q at the press conf be about Saoirse?
    Dont you know with the Irish media its all about Saoirse and Nessa.

Call me Al wrote: »
    What do you mean "rich Daddy's girl."

That lifestyle and those decisions cost money.

College vs Work
    Masters vs Work
    Fake Job vs Real Job
    Grow your own food vs Real Job

What else funded those decisions if it wasnt actually work?

College vs Work
    Masters vs Work
    Fake Job vs Real Job

The taxpayer probably.

Its not that hard to comprehend but I just dont agree with you on whether its true...

It's fair enough to disagree whether it's true but you don't really expand on your point beyond that. She is young for politics and well spoken. Whether she's good looking or not is obviously a matter of taste but whenever I see her spoken about her looks are often mentioned.
    or it should matter.

I never said it should matter. That's the part you don't seem to understand.
    Maybe for a month or so but usually journalists then start to dig into the person's policies & see is there any substance - this has not happened yet with regard to McHugh.

Otherwise every election would just be an extension of Miss Ireland.

I think it depends on whether they are getting an audience or not. If they aren't then they're likely to drop the attention as it's not worth the effort. But in Hughs's case they obviously felt it was.

The taxpayer probably.

That's a good possibility actually.

I still sense there's a rich Daddy around somewhere too.

It's fair enough to disagree whether it's true but you don't really expand on your point beyond that. She is young for politics and well spoken. Whether she's good looking or not is obviously a matter of taste but whenever I see her spoken about her looks are often mentioned.

I never said it should matter. That's the part you don't seem to understand.

I think it depends on whether they are getting an audience or not. If they aren't then they're likely to drop the attention as it's not worth the effort. But in Hughs's case they obviously felt it was.

But as a national broadcaster they guarantee the audience - it's a chicken & egg situation then but as her election results are poor, it's clear that she doesn't deserve the airtime.

Your first point above says that I didnt expand beyond disagreeing with you on her looks but then your second point questions the part whereby I expanded upon it.

I'm saying you disagreed with a point I never made.

If you choose to expand beyond the point I made that's fair enough but it was framed as a disagreement with what I said (but never did).

I don't think election results and airtime are the point. She announced her retirement this morning and we already have a six page thread here discussing her. Clearly she is someone people are inclined to read and write about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You have to admire her self-confidence.

After failing to get elected to Europe, the Dail and the Seanad, all within a 12-month period, she has concluded that the problem is definitely not her, it's electoral politics that is broken.

This is at the same time the Greens went from 2 TDs to 12 and from 0 MEPs to 2. Take the hint Saoirse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

College vs Work
    Masters vs Work
    Fake Job vs Real Job

Grow your own food v real job.

Wtf does that mean?

I'm saying you disagreed with a point I never made.

If you choose to expand beyond the point I made that's fair enough but it was framed as a disagreement with what I said (but never did).

I don't think election results and airtime are the point. She announced her retirement this morning and we already have a six page thread here discussing her. Clearly she is someone people are inclined to read and write about.

In a perverse - why is this news way.

She gets more airtime than successful politicians with track records - people are baffled by it.

A thread about a man eating a big sandwich could get 6+ pages on boards for godsake

I haven't seen or read anything from her that indicates she's a 'marxist' though if she was, what's the problem?

Marx had a specific label for those who grifted off the system for a livelihood.

He called them "unproductive labour." Not endorsing Marx but he had some interesting insights.

If Saoirse is a Marxist, she must understand she likely belongs to that group - possibly intersecting with the capitalist class through Daddy. She ain't no prole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Which of these is your favourite right-wing policy:
    • Increasing social welfare
    • Social welfare Christmas bonus
    • Increase in minimum wage
    • Free GP care for children under eight
    • Free dental care for children under six
    • HAP/Rent-allowance/help-to-buy etc
    • Increase in Home Carer Tax Credit
    I said it right in my post: Austerity.

All parties that support austerity are right-wing. It's inherently right-wing policy.

Grow your own food v real job.

Wtf does that mean?

Most people who work long days and have families dont have the time to grow their own food.

It's not rocket science.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Most people who work long days and have families dont have the time to grow their own food.

Because it's hard, time consuming work?

In a perverse - why is this news way.

She gets more airtime than successful politicians with track records - people are baffled by it.

A thread about a man eating a big sandwich could get 6+ pages on boards for godsake

Which is sort of the point. There is no need for bafflement at all.

If people are interested in reading about a man eating a big sandwich then that's the sort of content that will be produced.

People are interested in reading and writing about her, partly I believe for reasons I have outlined.

There's little accounting for who we warm to and who we don't. Some people just have a certain attraction or charisma or whatever you want to call it and she clearly did.

Because it's hard, time consuming work?

Time constraints mainly.

• Advertisement

Which is sort of the point. There is no need for bafflement at all.

If people are interested in reading about a man eating a big sandwich then that's the sort of content that will be produced.

People are interested in reading and writing about her, partly I believe for reasons I have outlined.

There's little accounting for who we warm to and who we don't. Some people just have a certain attraction or charisma or whatever you want to call it and she clearly did.

Yes but we are back to the chicken & egg situation here, which is alluded to in the name of the thread.

This thread only exists because people can't understand why she gets airtime on RTE- the people posting on her don't think it's charisma and cant understand why.

This thread more or less invalidates RTE's opinion that she is popular

Advertisement