Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ms. McHugh and national broadcaster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Earthhorse wrote: »
    She's young, good looking and well spoken (regardless of whether you agree with what she's saying). She also represents an alternative voice (but not a frightening one). That makes her very media friendly. There's really no mystery here.

And female. Which shouldn't be a reason for increased airtime, but it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

It's surprising how so many on here feel so threatened by any voice advocating for compassion .

Is everything you do solely and specifically for your benefit or would you describe yourself as 'marxist, naive, pro Green, pro-migrants, and pro any type of social justice'?

I guess they're intimidated by young attractive women aspiring for something other than gormless arm candy. They probably don't have much luck with women anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Acosta

It's surprising how so many on here feel so threatened by any voice advocating for compassion .

Is everything you do solely and specifically for your benefit or would you describe yourself as 'marxist, naive, pro Green, pro-migrants, and pro any type of social justice'?

I may not agree with everything she comes out with, but it's always good to see someone getting into politics for the right reasons. Someone who is interested in important issues and public service.
    The Dail and politics in general has more than enough used car salesman, bad actors and shysters to keep the greedy people that vote for them happy. Not sure why she triggers so many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

know nothing about her but she has her pronouns in her twitter bio which does not bode well. best of luck to her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Hardly surprising to be fair. Those advocating social justice tend to also advocate someone else paying for it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hardly surprising to be fair. Those advocating social justice tend to also advocate someone else paying for it too.

Kind of goes with the territory.

Advocating is good.

There is a lot of social justice needed in the world, you hardly expect one woman to pay for it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MFPM

Sorry, but this is rubbish.

She benefited from the same rising ship that all the GP candidates benefited from in the 2019 local election and the 2020 General election.

They went from 12 to 49 seats in the local elections and 3 to 12 seats in the general election.

She had little or nothing to do with the increase in the GP vote in any of the elections. She didn’t even get elected in the general election when 12 of her party members were returned.

So like 27 of her colleagues in the GP who stood in the GE she didn't get elected this typical of their performance in the GE?
    She had little or nothing to do with the increase in the GP vote in any of the elections.

So her performance on the RTE TV debate and her subsequent spike in the opinion polls and on polling day are completely disconnected - she was always going to get 8% of the vote?

Yeah, that's what happens in unequal societies, funny that!:rolleyes:

KaneToad wrote: »
    And female. Which shouldn't be a reason for increased airtime, but it is...

You don't watch much TV or listen to much radio I take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well, as you know, what many are advocating for is that 'our' money, which we are paying anyway is used for a more beneficial way for all of society rather than on areas/grants etc which might be seen to benefit just a few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

MFPM wrote: »
    So like 27 of her colleagues in the GP who stood in the GE she didn't get elected this typical of their performance in the GE?

So her performance on the RTE TV debate and her subsequent spike in the opinion polls and on polling day are completely disconnected - she was always going to get 8% of the vote?

She has been rejected three times now, thankfully the message has finally sunk in.

Would love to see irrefutable proof that she was solely responsible for the 8% share you are boasting about.

She has been rejected three times now, thankfully the message has finally sunk in.

Would love to see irrefutable proof that she was solely responsible for the 8% share you are boasting about.

Indeed, but she's not alone there, it's part and parcel of politics for many candidates and more typical for those outside the main establishment parties.

You agree with me that her unsuccessful bid for the Dail was more typical of the GP performance in GE 2020 than those of the successful GP candidates thus your jibe against her was at least uncharitable?

Now, now don't be disingenuous. I didn't state she was 'solely responsible' for the 8% and well you know it...I asked you was her performance during the election campaign, notably in the RTE debate, disconnected from her resulting performance at the polls - you didn't answer?

Secondly, where did you provide 'irrefutable proof' that her performance was 'solely' down to the general rise in the polls for the Greens at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Everyone gets airtime in ireland including.justin barrett

If such critism was genuine....people would ask,why are labour getting more airtime than soc dems,despite holding equal numbers

Labour, as a party, have TDs.
    She has never won an election- poor comparison to be honest

MFPM wrote: »
    Indeed, but she's not alone there, it's part and parcel of politics for many candidates and more typical for those outside the main establishment parties.

You agree with me that her unsuccessful bid for the Dail was more typical of the GP performance in GE 2020 than those of the successful GP candidates thus your jibe against her was at least uncharitable?

Now, now don't be disingenuous. I didn't state she was 'solely responsible' for the 8% and well you know it...I asked you was her performance during the election campaign, notably in the RTE debate, disconnected from her resulting performance at the polls - you didn't answer?

Secondly, where did you provide 'irrefutable proof' that her performance was 'solely' down to the general rise in the polls for the Greens at that time?

I didn’t see the debate, I have no idea if she was any good or not.

You and your buddies are so busy downplaying the gains the GP made countrywide that I would have thought providing proof of her being responsible for the gains would have been easy to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Labour, as a party, have TDs.
    She has never won an election- poor comparison to be honest

Greta Thunberg has never won an election, nor Malala Yousafzai or Emma Watson. You can choose to be an advocate for causes you care about outside of the electoral system and still have an impact.

If that’s the path Saoirse is choosing, fair play to her.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Greta Thunberg has never won an election, nor Malala Yousafzai or Emma Watson. You can choose to be an advocate for causes you care about outside of the electoral system and still have an impact.

Have Greta and Emma put themselves forward for seats at three separate levels of government and failed to get elected in each?

Ridiculous comparison.

I didn’t see the debate, I have no idea if she was any good or not.

You and your buddies are so busy downplaying the gains the GP made countrywide that I would have thought providing proof of her being responsible for the gains would have been easy to find.

Just give me a second, and I'll go and see if I can identify every vote the Greens gained and will chase down those people and ask them was it in fact because of Saoirse.

Because that is the only way to give you the proof you are looking for and I think you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

My auntie had balls she'd be my uncle. What ifs, they are irrelevant. She didn't get elected.

I was replying to a post that said she was in a very competitive constituency and outlining one of the obstacles she faced but hey gave you a chance for a profound well thought out reply, well done.

Have Greta and Emma put themselves forward for seats at three separate levels of government and failed to get elected in each?

Ridiculous comparison.

You seem to think it’s unusual for an aspiring politician to lose a few elections before getting elected; the opposite is as likely to be true. They often run multiple times building up name recognition before a successful election.

You seem to think it’s unusual for an aspiring politician to lose a few elections before getting elected; the opposite is as likely to be true. They often run multiple times building up name recognition before a successful election.

You tried to compare her to Greta and Emma, not me.

I asked you a simple question - have they repeatedly been rejected by the electorate?

• Advertisement

You tried to compare her to Greta and Emma, not me.

I asked you a simple question - have they repeatedly been rejected by the electorate?

I don’t know if they have run for office, I assume Greta hasn’t since she’s a teenager but feel free to Google it if you’re interested.

The point I was making was that it’s possible to influence government policy without being in government, as the ladies mentioned have deftly shown.

I don’t know if they have run for office, I assume Greta hasn’t since she’s a teenager but feel free to Google it if you’re interested.

The point I was making was that it’s possible to influence government policy without being in government, as the ladies mentioned have deftly shown.

You don’t know? You assume?

Why bother making a silly comparison like that if you aren’t prepared to stand over it?

Why bother making a silly comparison like that if you aren’t prepared to stand over it?

The comparison, which was pretty clear, is that there are other ways to call for and promote change than simply becoming an elected politician.

It isn't that complicated.

Marraige Equaility, Repealing of the 8th Amendment only happened because non-elected people formulated groups, protests, supports etc.

Are you being deliberately dense or is it natural?

I’m not comparing them in terms of electoral ability or political wins. I’m comparing their ability to have an influence *outside* the sphere of electoral politics, which is where Saoirse has said her future lies.

Are you being deliberately dense or is it natural?

I’m not comparing them in terms of electoral ability or political wins. I’m comparing their ability to have an influence *outside* the sphere of electoral politics, which is where Saoirse has said her future lies.

If you need to resort to personal insults then I’m out.

Yeah, ok but that's a completely different discussion.

At the moment she is someone who has a poor record in elections who gets a disproportionate amount of media coverage - who has now thrown her toys out of the pram & is saying that electoral politics doesnt work.

What I find most interesting is that in the run up to the last election she was given a lot more coverage than Catherine Martin - who ended up challenging for the Green leadership while McHugh couldnt get a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Failure at electoral politics is no shame.

Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh stood in two Dail elections and two Senate elections and was never elected.

He had a very successful career ended up as President of Ireland.

But now she has thrown her toys out of the pram & said elections are stupid anyway & I never liked them.

If you need to resort to personal insults then I’m out.

Well it’s my ball and I’m going home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

elperello wrote: »
    Failure at electoral politics is no shame.

Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh stood in two Dail elections and two Senate elections and was never elected.

He had a very successful career ended up as President of Ireland.
    And that ended well

Advertisement