Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

welding at home

• 23-07-2020 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

So before i start i will admit i have no welding experience and i know very little about it.

I got a stick welder from a mate so i could try to learn to weld at home.

so i used it a couple of times for a few minutes each time with no issue. I was starting to get more comfortable with it and was using it for a longer period and the fuse in the extension lead blew. I was using a 2 meter standard home extension lead plugged into the mains.

i spoke to a few people and i was told i needed to get a 16 amp extension lead. I have looked on a good few websites and i can only find a 16A lead with a 3 pin socket rather than a standard plug. As this is only going to be used for hobby stuff i dont want to go and buy a transformer. I am sure there has to be a work around for this.

if anyone could help me that would be fantastic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You are lucky so far.
    Hobby use is irrelevant, you are risking a fire
    You can get a 16A , blue IIRC, socket that the 16 Amp lead will plug into and then you will need to make sure the breaker on the consumer unit board is up to it.
    You really need to get a sparks.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

if you have a 16a cable with a 13a plug then the whole thing is a 13A.

get a spark to fit a 16S socket, aptopriate mcb etc and get a proper 16A cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Welders don't work too well when run off of extension leads.

Advertisement