Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Balcony Storage/Shed base idea (plastic board)

• 23-07-2020 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm after buying an aluminium cupboard off Argos, but it doesn't have a base.
    Can anyone recommend a place I could look for a plastic board or sheet to use on this as a base?
    it's about 5ft by 3ft and would probably need 1/2inch thickness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

compu1, is the shed up and does it need to be anchored?

Maybe give a link to the model you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭comput1

No it’s not assembled yet, I’d like to screw or bolt it to the base ideally and raise that base on three batons to keep it a little off the balcony decking to stop damp underneath

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8667971/Trail/searchtext%3EArrow.htm

Purgative wrote: »
    compu1, is the shed up and does it need to be anchored?

Maybe give a link to the model you have.

OK, I have a clearer idea of what your trying to do.

When you say 1/2" plastic are you talking like the airboard that election poster are on?

If it were mine I'd probably make a base from 12mm or better 18mm ply (wbp), screw the cupboard to the ply and then put batons on the ply to keep it out of the weather.

I'm not sure I'm being much help to you though.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd probably go for wbp ply too. Be trivial to build a base for this.

Yeah I was thinking about marine ply but before I go down that route was hoping to find just a solid bit of plastic... I think it would need to be a bit stronger than that posterboard so I could put a bike or some shelves standing on it - was hoping for something like a plastic chopping board kinda density.

Thanks for your suggestion ;)

Purgative wrote: »
    OK, I have a clearer idea of what your trying to do.

When you say 1/2" plastic are you talking like the airboard that election poster are on?

If it were mine I'd probably make a base from 12mm or better 18mm ply (wbp), screw the cupboard to the ply and then put batons on the ply to keep it out of the weather.

I'm not sure I'm being much help to you though.

• Advertisement

comput1 wrote: »
    Yeah I was thinking about marine ply but before I go down that route was hoping to find just a solid bit of plastic... I think it would need to be a bit stronger than that posterboard so I could put a bike or some shelves standing on it - was hoping for something like a plastic chopping board kinda density.

Thanks for your suggestion ;)

Oh you're welcome. The ply will be a lot stronger than the "chopping board plastic" though. Plastic will expand and shrink with temperature and heavy weights can cause it to bow away from the cupboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Are you trying to protect the decking or the contents of the box?

Seems like no base will allow the deck to air dry and still keep the contents dry?
    If you are worried about leaks at the bottom you could silicone the perimeter to the deck.

Mainly concerned with keeping contents of the store dry- I’ve no idea why the manufacturer don’t offer the base as an option. But I’d raise the lot on batons to get air under it.

The decking is spaced boards, so sealant won’t help much without a base, but yeah if I can find someone who manufacturers large plastic sheets of material I could seal the bottom to that

GreeBo wrote: »
    Are you trying to protect the decking or the contents of the box?

Seems like no base will allow the deck to air dry and still keep the contents dry?
    If you are worried about leaks at the bottom you could silicone the perimeter to the deck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,256 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

comput1 wrote: »
    Mainly concerned with keeping contents of the store dry- I’ve no idea why the manufacturer don’t offer the base as an option. But I’d raise the lot on batons to get air under it.

The decking is spaced boards, so sealant won’t help much without a base, but yeah if I can find someone who manufacturers large plastic sheets of material I could seal the bottom to that

The spaced boards wont cause an issue, water isnt really going to go up the spaces though?

GreeBo wrote: »
    The spaced boards wont cause an issue, water isnt really going to go up the spaces though?

Yeah it's windy so a lot of damp will get in under the storaage - the balcony boards are quite widely spaced.

If anyone is thinking of buying that one from argos... it takes about 10 hours to assemble... I think they cut certain parts in half just so you have more work to assemble it again :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement