Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hob on island, no extractor fan - any experience?

Options
  • 23-07-2020 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Want to run this past the cooking aficionados...

We're currently redesigning our kitchen and intend on putting our hob on an island. However, this makes putting in an extractor fan either unappealing (large extractor fan over island), or expensive (top of the range extractor fan).

Just wondering whether others have gone without an extractor fan, and what their experience is.

We hardly ever turn ours on at the moment. Kitchen would be in an extension in a 3 bed semi, so not a large kitchen.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think it depends on how much you use it and what you cook on it. I hardly ever turn mine on too, but I never fry fish and if I did I would definitely need the fan on. I use the light all the time though, so if you go without a fan you'd probably need a spotlight or similar pointing down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Peckham wrote: »
    Hi,

We're currently redesigning our kitchen and intend on putting our hob on an island. However, this makes putting in an extractor fan either unappealing (large extractor fan over island), or expensive (top of the range extractor fan).

Just wondering whether others have gone without an extractor fan, and what their experience is.

We hardly ever turn ours on at the moment. Kitchen would be in an extension in a 3 bed semi, so not a large kitchen.

Thanks

Could you get one that rises up like a plug socket. I'm thinking of fish, sausages and fried eggs. All quite pungent. I think its called a downdraft hood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

You can get hobs with them built in.

Ikea have a new one that's not too badly priced considering what they'd cost separately. They take up most of the space in the cabinet below though.
    https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/foerdelaktig-induction-hob-integrated-extractor-black-50449403/

Decibel level is one the most important things I think. Below 60db on low is acceptable. I use ours a lot it does trap some of grease that other wise will end up on top of your presses over time.

My mum has her hob in a peninsula with a ceiling mounted extractor but it's hardly ever used as it sounds like a jet taking off even on low!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw the title and thought the regular poster who lives on an island (Grace?) was having difficulty getting a hob delivered!
    I think it depends on how much you use it and what you cook on it..
    yes, I use my airfryer on my hob under the fan. I like to cook at high heat and so get more smoke. I have used them without a fan and just turned down the temp to stop smoke.

When cooking burgers I used to get a cast iron pan roasting hot and bring it outside as there would be so much smoke it would set off alarms even though I had the fan on. I have since discovered it is less hassle to just reduce the heat a bit, but I would definitely still need a fan. While a veggie friend I lived with had rarely a need for any vents.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

rubadub wrote: »
    I saw the title and thought the regular poster who lives on an island (Grace?) was having difficulty getting a hob delivered!

yes, I use my airfryer on my hob under the fan. I like to cook at high heat and so get more smoke. I have used them without a fan and just turned down the temp to stop smoke.

When cooking burgers I used to get a cast iron pan roasting hot and bring it outside as there would be so much smoke it would set off alarms even though I had the fan on. I have since discovered it is less hassle to just reduce the heat a bit, but I would definitely still need a fan. While a veggie friend I lived with had rarely a need for any vents.

:pac: :pac: :pac:

We have a gas barbecue just outside the kitchen door that we use all year round for steak, fish, burgers etc but if I was cooking them on the hob I'd probably use the fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Peckham wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

I dont think its a good idea to go with no extraction at all, even if you are just boiling eggs over time the steam condenses on the ceiling and paint will being to flake. If cooking steaks/burgers, etc on high heat grease is going to stick to all the presses and with no extraction your kitchen will quickly fill full of smoke as well as leaving foul food odours in it.

I know the problem you've got though as I had the same last year, I redesigned the kitchen to include not an island but a peninsula and had the same problem to solve. I considered a downdraft extractor but apart from them taking up a fair bit of space under neath the counter I couldnt find one that would do a really good job at extracting lost of smoke ftom high heat cooking.

In the end I went with a ceiling extractor. We couldnt put it inside the ceiling like you would in a new build because the ceiling joists were running through that space. So the solution was the carpenter created a large white ceiling box made of a wooden frame and plasterboard. It was sized to match up perfectly in size to the length and width of the peninsula below it. The extractor was mounted flush inside this box and attached to the ceiling joists. We then ran about 1.2m of 6 inch acoustic ducting from the fan to an external wall of the house and the air goes whoosh outside straight away.

This is the one I bought. Its not the most energy efficient but it does clear 1,000 cubic metres of air per hour. I deliberately over sized this spec because I want smoke to clear out as quickly as possible. For about 400 euro I thought it was a good deal because the vast majority of ceiling extractors I found across multiple sites were easily 800 euro and many over 1k with others going past 2k.
    https://www.thewrightbuy.co.uk/cookology-110cm-remote-operated-stainless-steel-ceiling-cooker-hood-filters

Finally another option could be a recirculating fan. I considered these but didnt like the idea of faffing around with carbon filters. I had also spoke to the lady in that Mexican food shop Picado and she has an Ikea one in the shop for her cookery classes. I asked about it and she wasnt that happy with it, it just wasnt extracting smoke quick enough. Thats just one model though, maybe others out there work better.

Advertisement