Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeated failures of online purchased Bicycle over period of 2 years

Options
  • 23-07-2020 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I have a Canyon mountain bike which I bought in February 2018 through their online shop. In the first three months the frame cracked and had to be returned for repair, less than a year later it suffered an identical failure in the same place. It had to be sent back again and was replaced with an upgraded version which had a carbon instead of alluminium swingarm. This meant it should not fail there again.

About two months ago I had another small issue which they requested i return the bike for inspection (to the UK), i refused as the problem was obvious and relatively small so they agreed to send me a part without returning it. Now I have discovered another (unrelated) issue with the carbon swingarm. The bike has to be returned again.

That is 4 major failures on a €4000 mountain bike. Even if they fix it again, I will be without the use of the bike for about a month in the height of the riding season. I have zero confidence that another issue won't occur. What rights do i have in terms of cancelling the contract and what are my rights in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

it is new issue yes?

You agreed to all previous solutions, and they were completed. when the frame went the second time, they offered a replacement rather than a repair. All within the law.

now your 2 year old bike has a new issue, and they have to offer one of the 3 r's. repair/replace/refund. they are offering repair. any repair of the new issue must be permanent. so they are meeting their obligations under the sale of goods and supply act and do not have to offer 'more'.

You can and should complain about all the inconvenience and time without the bike. But that is a customer satisfaction issue. Sale of goods and supply not does not specify how quickly a repair must be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

it is new issue yes?

You agreed to all previous solutions, and they were completed. when the frame went the second time, they offered a replacement rather than a repair. All within the law.

now your 2 year old bike has a new issue, and they have to offer one of the 3 r's. repair/replace/refund. they are offering repair. any repair of the new issue must be permanent. so they are meeting their obligations under the sale of goods and supply act and do not have to offer 'more'.

You can and should complain about all the inconvenience and time without the bike. But that is a customer satisfaction issue. Sale of goods and supply not does not specify how quickly a repair must be made.

The latest issue is a new issue alright. It's on the same part of the bike though so I think it's arguable that it's a repeat issue. All three issues have been with the chainstay. Does it matter that it's not the exact same problem as it's the same part that has failed three times.

Each time they have given me a complete new frame. If they do that again I will probably accept
    and just sell the bike on but it's mainly the inconvenience of having to ship and return the bike and then being without it for weeks at a time. If I could get a refund I would obviously take it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Have you asked for a refund yet?

Might be yours should point out now this is the 4th such issue and you are not happy with the continual problems with the product.

Would you accept an alternative bike from the same manufacturer? Could be an easier discussion to have with them.

Not 100% sure but if you knowingly sold on a defective bike (and didn't disclose it) and that person had an accident because of that defect you might be somewhat liable

Advertisement