Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jussayeh

Devastated ... I just did the etray and had about 10 mins to spare, so I decided to check over everything and that's when I realised I hadn't pressed 'Send' on the important email before the deadline!!! Argh ....

Am I immediately disqualified for that?

I'm so disappointed because I failed the etray in 2018 for the same reason (thought I had 5 more mins to do it when it disappeared from the screen) and this after passing the interview. I am so disappointed. I found it very tough tbh. Good luck to everyone.

Also, does anyone know when the next permanent CO will come up? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Darren1881

This may be useful to some people regarding incremants/allowances. Gives examples at the end which may help give better understandings also.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

jussayeh wrote: »
    Devastated ... I just did the etray and had about 10 mins to spare, so I decided to check over everything and that's when I realised I hadn't pressed 'Send' on the important email before the deadline!!! Argh ....

I'm so disappointed because I failed the etray in 2018 for the same reason (thought I had 5 more mins to do it when it disappeared from the screen) and this after passing the interview. I am so disappointed. I found it very tough tbh. Good luck to everyone.

Hey. Don't fret. In the instructions within the etray, it clearly states that all info/changes that you make will be automatically saved AND SENT when the time is up. You may be marked down a little for not sending them yourself, but not disqualified.

I believe it used to be different a couple of years ago, but it definitely states the above in the etray instructions now so don't stress!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

Sorry to hear that but don't lose hope. From my understanding I don't think you will immediately be disqualified. Try to forget about it until the result. You might have done really well on the rest of the etray to make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Gombeennation

Hi Tomjmsn.
    I thought it automatically sent at the end of the time. Diesnt it?

• Advertisement

Hi Tomjmsn.

It does but certain emails had to be sent with urgency before specific times. Not many of them

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭facade

Grey AP wrote: »
    If you are a civil or public servant, this is a promotion and DPER circular 8-2019 for pay on promotion applies (extract below). Essentially, it doesn't matter whether it's promotion from an open or interdepartmental panel, you can't start on less than your current pay (except where it is above the second LSI for the new grade).

Not sure about allowances, but I would think that if they form part of your pensionable pay, then that should count too. If they aren't pensionable, then probably not. Either way, you should ask your union (assuming you are in one) and take their advice with you to the new job. I've seen a couple of cases where HR didn't think an allowance should be included, but corrected this quickly once they were made aware.

In the long run, it's hard to see that a promotion to EO isn't worthwhile, as you start above your current pay, your pay will keep increasing on the scale and your pension will be better. Also, it would give you a better chance of HEO, again for better pay and pension.

From DPER 8-2019
    A. Pay on promotion from competitions confined to existing civil servants
    1. Starting pay rules
    1.1 On promotion, an officer will be appointed at the minimum point of the new scale unless any of the conditions set out at 1.2 apply.
    1.2 (i) Where the officer's current salary is above the minimum point of the new scale but below the normal maximum, the nearest point above the officer's current salary point plus one increment.
    (ii) Where the officer's current salary is above the normal maximum point of the new scale but below LSI 1, the nearest point above the officer's current salary point (ie LSI 1).
    (iii) Where the officer's current salary is above LSI 1 and below LSI 2 of the new scale, the nearest point above the officer's current salary point (i.e. LSI 2).
    (iv) Where the minimum of the new salary scale is greater than existing pay by an amount less than the first increment on the new scale, the officer may enter the new scale at the minimum plus one increment.
    1.3 The date of promotion becomes the officer's incremental date.

B. Application of starting pay rules to officers securing higher posts by way of open competition

3.1 For the avoidance of doubt, it is confirmed that where the appointee to a higher post is a currently serving civil or public servant, the arrangements for officers appointed through confined competition described at Part A above shall apply.

That's brilliant, thanks

Hi Tomjmsn.

The instructions said something about all of the non-urgent emails sendi automatically at the end of the test and you are NOT supposed to press send for these.

However, it said you SHOULD press Send for any emails considered urgent! This was an urgent one, and requested me to respond to within 20 mins (by 10.30) so this was a big error. I sent it 20 mins late at 10.50 am so I'm just not sure if its enough to disqualify me or just penalise heavily. It was a big mistake and I think enough to fail me unfortunately ... Thanks everyone for your replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

The instructions said something about all of the non-urgent emails sendi automatically at the end of the test and you are NOT supposed to press send for these.

However, it said you SHOULD press Send for any emails considered urgent! This was an urgent one, and requested me to respond to within 20 mins (by 10.30) so this was a big error. I sent it 20 mins late at 10.50 am so I'm just not sure if its enough to disqualify me or just penalise heavily. It was a big mistake and I think enough to fail me unfortunately ... Thanks everyone for your replies :)

I don’t remember reading this, can you tell me where it was stated? I took the first round of etrays so maybe our instructions were different? Or maybe I’m completely wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KRedzer

I sent an urgent one late after missing the instruction and still passed.

• Advertisement

I don't know how accurate the you are NOT supposed to send is. I'm pretty certain it was optional if you sent them or not before the end. And if you didn't send them they would be sent at the end of the exercise. The only ones that couldn't wait were the urgent ones.

Darren1881 wrote: »
    I don't know how accurate the you are NOT supposed to send is. I'm pretty certain it was optional if you sent them or not before the end. And if you didn't send them they would be sent at the end of the exercise. The only ones that couldn't wait were the urgent ones.

Yes Darren1881 you're absolutely correct. Thank you for clarifying :)

gestappo wrote: »
    I don’t remember reading this, can you tell me where it was stated? I took the first round of etrays so maybe our instructions were different? Or maybe I’m completely wrong?

Sorry Getsappo, Darren1881 is right, you could press send if you wanted, it was optional on non-urgent emails but you did have to press send for the urgent one(s). I can't remember if there was more than one, but I def didn't click send until 20 minutes after the requested deadline :/

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Pickysue wrote: »
    Does anyone know what number they’ve reached for Etray in Dublin?

I was in the late 400s and was called. I have seen people mention being further down and called. My best guess is around 950.

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    I was in the late 400s and was called. I have seen people mention being further down and called. My best guess is around 950.

I was 946 and did the etray today.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Is there any difference between interdepartmental and open streams? Or should i say, if all the stages are the same why not just make it open?

Can someone explain the reason interdepartmental is offered at all?

Sorry probably a stupid question, im not in this competition, just curious....

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

There are usually 3 panels open interdepartmental and internal. PAS do the open and interdepartmental, the departments HR do the internal only for staff already in the department.
    Roughly out of every 3 vacancies 1 is filled from each panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Syrohara90

Is there any difference between interdepartmental and open streams? Or should i say, if all the stages are the same why not just make it open?

Can someone explain the reason interdepartmental is offered at all?

Sorry probably a stupid question, im not in this competition, just curious....

They do the interdepartmental because they might not hit the restrictions they've placed on the open, like having a level 6 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Thanks for the replies. Best of luck to those who are called

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Em_Caramel

Did anyone else receive the message about an expression of interest for the EOPI positions?

24/7 shift works, but there's an allowance upto 25% for it. In two minds here.

• Advertisement

Em_Caramel wrote: »
    Did anyone else receive the message about an expression of interest for the EOPI positions?

I did. Enquiring from dept of Agri friends about what it really entails.

The 3 year mandatory contract though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

What are the EOPI positions? Could someone forward me the info?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Em_Caramel

The 3 year mandatory contract though..

Yeah, there's a few red flags alright. But part of me is thinking, I love watching the Aussie Border Patrol and it could be super interesting haha :)

cw67irl wrote: »
    What are the EOPI positions? Could someone forward me the info?

Link https://www.publicjobs.ie/restapi/documents/EOPIDutiesFinal.pdf

Yeah, there's a few red flags alright. But part of me is thinking, I love watching the Aussie Border Patrol and it could be super interesting haha :)

Definitely and you’d be working closely with Revenue too

Cheers :)

Unusual to offer people allowanced positions striaght off the bat isnt it?

I know for my own dept theres a competition for people to apply for them usually with an interview or the likes thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭facade

How do you apply for this position?

cw67irl wrote: »
    Cheers :)

Unusual to offer people allowanced positions striaght off the bat isnt it?

I know for my own dept theres a competition for people to apply for them usually with an interview or the likes thrown in.

If interested, you’ve to be interviewed for it.

• Advertisement

If interested, you’ve to be interviewed for it.

That would make sense!

I remember being offered a similar gig off a customs CO panel a couple of years ago.. Although both positions had the same allowances

Advertisement