Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 angeb

where is Section B on the application form? Am I right in thinking that Section A is previous jobs and Section C is Supplementary Information ?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

No Section B.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

Would it be appropriate to put voluntary experience in employment history? I'm going to have big gaps otherwise it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Josuke wrote: »
    Would it be appropriate to put voluntary experience in employment history? I'm going to have big gaps otherwise it seems

It would be very appropriate to include your voluntary experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

It would be very appropriate to include your voluntary experience.

I second that! It’s definitely worth mentioning just to fill in gaps in your work history. It shows a lot of self motivation too I think.

I had 4 months of voluntary work between a contract finishing up and getting placed as a CO and the interview board were quite impressed to hear I kept on working with my previous employer voluntarily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

natc wrote: »
    I second that! It’s definitely worth mentioning just to fill in gaps in your work history. It shows a lot of self motivation too I think.

I had 4 months of voluntary work between a contract finishing up and getting placed as a CO and the interview board were quite impressed to hear I kept on working with my previous employer voluntarily.

Agreed. Volunteer work can also demonstrate or back up the competencies they you may lack or struggle with in your work career. Eg- managing a team, delivering goals, handling a budget, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 allabella

Where to put competencies on application form? There seems to be only an option to enter previous/current work and education details. Do we put examples of competencies on the supplementary information part?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

allabella wrote: »
    Where to put competencies on application form? There seems to be only an option to enter previous/current work and education details. Do we put examples of competencies on the supplementary information part?

The competencies are only something that will arise at the interview stage. At the interview they will ask you questions related to the competencies and they'll ask you to give example from your work experience; what you did, how you did it etc.

In the application form, outline your work history, outline key duties you had in each employment.

In the supplementary info box, perhaps outline a few achievements from your work life or education etc...

Now that its near the closing date is almost here. Next is the STAGE 1 on-line assessment. We will receive communication before the 10th August. What does that contain? Can the on-line assessment be done anytime once its before 17th August or has it to be done on the 17th.August. I gave a look at the sample questions & they need practice. Its not explained at all in the Booklet.(I cant find it anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

hillbloom wrote: »
    Now that its near the closing date is almost here. Next is the STAGE 1 on-line assessment. We will receive communication before the 10th August. What does that contain? Can the on-line assessment be done anytime once its before 17th August or has it to be done on the 17th.August. I gave a look at the sample questions & they need practice. Its not explained at all in the Booklet.(I cant find it anyway)

Normally anytime in that week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

Is anyone else having a problem submitting the application?

I tried to update my email address a few days ago, says it's still pending but got no email to validate the change.

I completed all steps to submit form 1 and 2 but I don't know if I have successfully done so- nothing new appears on my message Board or under ' My Applications '.

My account doesn't seem to be working correctly as I can't go from one menu item to another without being asked to constantly Log In.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Radio5 wrote: »

I tried to update my email address a few days ago, says it's still pending but got no email to validate the change.

I completed all steps to submit form 1 and 2 but I don't know if I have successfully done so- nothing new appears on my message Board or under ' My Applications '.

My account doesn't seem to be working correctly as I can't go from one menu item to another without being asked to constantly Log In.

What type of device are you logging in from? Any type of mobile device, even iPad seem to have that issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

How are people logging career breaks/periods of unemployment in the application?

Are you adding them as entries in themselves in the Employment section?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    How are people logging career breaks/periods of unemployment in the application?

It's probably best to do that, otherwise you've gaps that will need explanation at an interview so take them out of the equation by documenting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

I just added them in as the reason for leaving previous employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I think its best to mark it as a period of employment ::

Job title :: unemployed
    6 months - January to June
    Description of role :: unemployed.
    reason for leaving :: got a job

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Ollie321

Can anyone tell me what the take home pay is for an EO? Or what the pension contribution is to work it out?

Is it hard to pass the on-line assessment. I had a look at the sample questions & they are NOT easy. Such an amount of questions. I am getting worried already.

The GROSS pay is €30,278. I dont know about pension.

Is it hard to pass the on-line assessment. I had a look at the sample questions & they are NOT easy. Such an amount of questions. I am getting worried already.

Just keep practising, the numerical isn't taken into account so you just need to pass, try do as well as you can on the verbal reasoning to boost your OOM. They aren't easy and because they are timed it's tougher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Radio5 wrote: »

Same is happening with my husband, every time he tries to submit the form he's suddenly logged out.. over and over again. It's incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

SFC1895 wrote: »
    Agreed. Volunteer work can also demonstrate or back up the competencies they you may lack or struggle with in your work career. Eg- managing a team, delivering goals, handling a budget, etc.

Thanks everyone for the advice! My application looks a lot better now with the volunteering listed rather than having many months unaccounted for. I learned a lot from volunteering even if I didn't get paid, so including it was the right choice I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Josuke wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the advice! My application looks a lot better now with the volunteering listed rather than having many months unaccounted for. I learned a lot from volunteering even if I didn't get paid, so including it was the right choice I think :)

Volunteering is a fantastic addition to any application IMO. I am with a voluntary Ambulance corp myself, which I included in the application too..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nb74

Quick question - does 2 years service with a Local Authority count for the 2 years service as a Civil Servant?

nb74 wrote: »
    Quick question - does 2 years service with a Local Authority count for the 2 years service as a Civil Servant?

I don't think it does, although I could be open to correction?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Will it be ok to put down a county where you don’t currently live But will be moving to next year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Hi folks,

Where are the online test samples that we can practice with??

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lynnington3

I clicked interdepartmental as well as open by accident. Can you change this after you’ve submitted?!!

I clicked interdepartmental as well as open by accident. Can you change this after you’ve submitted?!!

Yes - Log into publicjobs and go to 'my applications', click on 'update' and you can edit it.

• Advertisement

Daz_ wrote: »
    Will it be ok to put down a county where you don’t currently live But will be moving to next year ?

Yes, you can put down any two counties you wish as long as you're prepared to take a position in either if it's offered to you.

Advertisement