Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

tomjmsn wrote: »
    Just had a message to say I've passed. Such a relief.
    My OOM is 13. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I assume this means there are 12 people ahead of me?
    Hi Tom, that's great news good luck with your placement in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Darren1881

tomjmsn wrote: »
    Just had a message to say I've passed. Such a relief.
    My OOM is 13. Sorry if this is a stupid question but I assume this means there are 12 people ahead of me?

Generally speaking yes. On rare occasions people could have the same OOM if they scored exatly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Jay328 wrote: »
    Just got my results for the inrerview unfortunately I didn't pass.

Good luck to everyone else still in the competition.

Unlucky, it will be great experience for future competitions though and you’ll pass next time.
    I know that’s not much comfort at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MonikaB

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Congratulations Buster. Same! Batch 1.3. (Dublin). Just hope there's jobs for us :)

Do they appoint everyone in one batch before moving on to the next? Will people in batch 1.3 definitely get appointed?

With the amount of retirements and promotions to HEO and other grades there's always plenty of EO posts going in all departments. I would expect a few hundred to be placed

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

I contacted PAS at the start of the week and they said that they had called anyone with a score of 124 or higher for E-tray in Carlow and anyone with a score of 119 or higher in Dublin to E-tray.

Hope that’s of use to some people here wondering. I’m just short of those scores so I’m hopeful I’ll be called in the next batches.

Congrats to all who are passing the interview and getting placements. To those who were unlucky, best to look at it as a learning experience and take as much from it as you can. I recently failed to make an internal panel (passed interview just didn’t score high enough) so I know how hard it is to miss out but I’m taking all the constructive feedback I can and applying it to future opportunities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Lb2021

Anyone else on here at the clearance stage? I had to have my references etc in last Wednesday. All they said was to give contact details. So I supplied phone numbers.... Then they came back looking for emails for the references... I supplied these but as they need references from the last three years, many of my references had moved on from their positions so I gave personal emails (I explained all of this and said that everything could be verified by calling etc)... Then they came back to me a third time saying that they needed "official" work email addresses.... Quite frustrating as this meant contacting my references a third time for this information!!! When they could have asked for this specific information in the first place and saved do much time!!! Anyway my question is, how long after the clearance were you offered a position? Thanks so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CP123

Hey I just got my interview results tonight. I'm just wondering how it works in terms of your current employer. So the clearance includes a check of your eligibility. My eligibility is based on a leaving cert equivalent exam, so they will need to check and make sure it is definitely equivalent. My question is, will they do the eligibility first and then ask for references, or will they ask for reference from my current employer (meaning I will have to officially tell my current job I am leaving) and then there is a chance that they will review my eligibility and decide its not good enough. Im worried about handing in my notice and then PAS to turn around and say my eligibility is not sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lb2021

CP123 wrote: »
    Hey I just got my interview results tonight. I'm just wondering how it works in terms of your current employer. So the clearance includes a check of your eligibility. My eligibility is based on a leaving cert equivalent exam, so they will need to check and make sure it is definitely equivalent. My question is, will they do the eligibility first and then ask for references, or will they ask for reference from my current employer (meaning I will have to officially tell my current job I am leaving) and then there is a chance that they will review my eligibility and decide its not good enough. Im worried about handing in my notice and then PAS to turn around and say my eligibility is not sufficient.
    They ask for your references and eligibility documents all at once. They say that they won't contact your current employer until they have offered you a position and they will check with you before contacting them! They ask for references from the last three years so they contact the others, (ie not your current one) while doing your eligibility checks/Garda vetting. I have moved job a couple of times in the last three years so had a few past employers that they could check, not too sure how it works if you have been working in the one place for the last three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Syrohara90

Anyone on board 1.2 been called for clearance yet?

I'm being kept in my section anyway so it doesn't bother me too much but just wondering how far they've called so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

CP123 wrote: »

Hi I'm also worried about the "equivalent" to the leaving cert part! I have a level 5 and a level 6 and when the competition was announced I emailed pas to confirm that they would be classified as equivalent to the leaving cert and the reply I got back was that I needed at least a level 7 degree or the leaving cert. I have got a leaving cert but I done foundation level maths which pas won't accept. Friends of mine who are already in the civil service told me to apply anyway as the level 5 is the same as leaving cert and level 6 is better than.

I'm just worried that when it gets to the stage of checking that I might be refused after such a long process

• Advertisement

Jassgal wrote: »
    Hi I'm also worried about the "equivalent" to the leaving cert part! I have a level 5 and a level 6 and when the competition was announced I emailed pas to confirm that they would be classified as equivalent to the leaving cert and the reply I got back was that I needed at least a level 7 degree or the leaving cert. I have got a leaving cert but I done foundation level maths which pas won't accept. Friends of mine who are already in the civil service told me to apply anyway as the level 5 is the same as leaving cert and level 6 is better than.

I'm just worried that when it gets to the stage of checking that I might be refused after such a long process

Your friend is correct. Once you have a full level 5 you are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

You previously needed level 7, has this changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

redmgar wrote: »
    You previously needed level 7, has this changed?

I was under the impression level 7 was a requirement?

Either 2 years in the service or level 7 for open stream was the requirements previously.
    I don't have access to the booklet for this campaign so I cant check if it has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tubberfinn

FROM BOOKLET:
    Candidates must, on or before 6
    the August 2020:
    (i) have obtained a minimum Level 7 qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications;
    or
    (ii) have obtained in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination a minimum of Grade D (or
    post 2017 Leaving Certificate O6 grade) at Ordinary level in Mathematics and Irish or English,
    having obtained a minimum of Grade C (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate H4 grade) in at least
    five subjects at Higher level; or hold a qualification, that in the opinion of the Public
    Appointments Service, is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is of
    at least an equivalent or higher standard;
    or
    (iii) have completed and passed all examinations in Year 1 of a three or four-year programme
    leading to a minimum Level 7 qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications;
    or
    (vi) be serving as a Civil Servant with at least two years’ service and have obtained at least five
    subjects in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination (including Mathematics and Irish
    or English), three of which should be minimum Grade C (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate H4
    grade) at Higher level, the others should be at a minimum Grade D (or post 2017 Leaving
    Certificate O6 grade) at Ordinary level; or have passed an examination(s) which would be
    acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard to
    the Established Leaving Certificate.

Tubberfinn wrote: »
    FROM BOOKLET:
    Candidates must, on or before 6
    the August 2020:
    (i) have obtained a minimum Level 7 qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications;
    or
    (ii) have obtained in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination a minimum of Grade D (or
    post 2017 Leaving Certificate O6 grade) at Ordinary level in Mathematics and Irish or English,
    having obtained a minimum of Grade C (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate H4 grade) in at least
    five subjects at Higher level; or hold a qualification, that in the opinion of the Public
    Appointments Service, is of a standard in terms of both level and volume of learning that is of
    at least an equivalent or higher standard;
    or
    (iii) have completed and passed all examinations in Year 1 of a three or four-year programme
    leading to a minimum Level 7 qualification on the National Framework of Qualifications;
    or
    (vi) be serving as a Civil Servant with at least two years’ service and have obtained at least five
    subjects in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination (including Mathematics and Irish
    or English), three of which should be minimum Grade C (or post 2017 Leaving Certificate H4
    grade) at Higher level, the others should be at a minimum Grade D (or post 2017 Leaving
    Certificate O6 grade) at Ordinary level; or have passed an examination(s) which would be
    acceptable to the Public Appointments Service as being of at least an equivalent standard to
    the Established Leaving Certificate.

Wonder what NFQ level is equivalent to 5 honours?
    It must be written somewhere rather than being down to someones discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Diegomara

Hey guys - I'm really new to all of this, so any help would be great.

I was rated oom 140 for leitrim and 250s for Sligo- do you think I have any chance of being called?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

Diegomara wrote: »
    Hey lads - I'm really new to all of this, so any help would be great.

I was rated oom 140 for leitrim and 250s for Sligo- do you think I have any chance of being called?

You have a chance but it's going to take quite a while. Recruitment in Leitrim is notoriously slow and Sligo while better is slow enough.

Fetac level 5 is sufficient, 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 masterbenji08

Anyone know when the interdepartmental dublin etray results will be posted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

Any advice for me? I will be promoted to EO 2 years in a few months time and I am high up on a panel and will be eligible for mobility soon. However, I could be waiting years for a transfer and the only good thing about the promotion is the small salary increase and I don't think I will last too much longer in my current department. I know I can do the EO role, just another department would suit me way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Buster97

Anyone know when the interdepartmental dublin etray results will be posted?

I waited 5 weeks for my results, but it was the open stream although I’m not sure if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Judymoody12

Hi , just got my message re: interview in Dublin . Can I ask do most people work in a junior managerial role at present or are applicants from various other working backgrounds . Getting a bit nervous now as interview close and my background is not managerial . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Syrohara90 wrote: »
    Anyone on board 1.2 been called for clearance yet?

I'm being kept in my section anyway so it doesn't bother me too much but just wondering how far they've called so far.

Just quoting this as I'm interested to know this as well.

If anyone in Batch 1.2 starts clearance, can you let us know? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 allyben

Has anyone else that interviewed last week still not heard back?

Hi , just got my message re: interview in Dublin . Can I ask do most people work in a junior managerial role at present or are applicants from various other working backgrounds . Getting a bit nervous now as interview close and my background is not managerial . Thanks

As long as you can give an example of management for the competency it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BuckyB17

allyben wrote: »
    Has anyone else that interviewed last week still not heard back?
    I had my interview last week and haven't heard yet either. They told me to expect 2 or 3 weeks but with other people getting results already I emailed them a few minutes ago just to check, will let you know what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HungrySeagull

BuckyB17 wrote: »
    I had my interview last week and haven't heard yet either. They told me to expect 2 or 3 weeks but with other people getting results already I emailed them a few minutes ago just to check, will let you know what they say.

Thanks Bucky. I did my interview last Wednesday and have not heard back yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 allyben

BuckyB17 wrote: »

Thank you! Good to here there are others!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BuckyB17

Thanks Bucky. I did my interview last Wednesday and have not heard back yet either.
    I had my interview on Wednesday too, they just got back to me and said it should be early next week! reassuring knowing I'm not the only one still waiting.

Advertisement