Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Syrohara90

Anyone know what documents cam be used you show citizenship of the EEA, I've no passport due to covid I never bothered renewing

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

Syrohara90 wrote: »
    Anyone know what documents cam be used you show citizenship of the EEA, I've no passport due to covid I never bothered renewing

Birth certificate? They can normally be purchased from the registry online and posted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

So anyone got an interview coming up this week or next?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Syrohara90 wrote: »

Your current, albeit out of date passport, would still show your citizenship entitlement. There should be no issue with using that, especially in the current circumstances given the passport office is closed at the moment. (This is obviously only applicable to Irish passport holders as I have no idea what other States' are doing atm.)

Your birth cert will also suffice however.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭niallmacsuain

I'm teens in batch 1.5 and was told today that there are approx 103 people ahead of me, if that helps anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 CP123

So I have been called for clearance. They want my reference details, which include my current employer. They said they will not contact my current employer until I authorise it, but that they need this reference before my clearance is complete, and that I will not know what department I am being offered until clearance is complete. Which means that I have to tell my current employer im planning on leaving, without even knowing what department the new job is in, like working hours, location in dublin etc. Its very hard to do this blind, like what if they offer me something that has night shifts etc or something I dont want. I have told my employer I am leaving and then end up not wanting the position im offered. Is this standard procedure, to not inform an applicant of what the actual role is before they basically cut ties with their current job??

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Clairebear84

CP123 wrote: »
    So I have been called for clearance. They want my reference details, which include my current employer. They said they will not contact my current employer until I authorise it, but that they need this reference before my clearance is complete, and that I will not know what department I am being offered until clearance is complete. Which means that I have to tell my current employer im planning on leaving, without even knowing what department the new job is in, like working hours, location in dublin etc. Its very hard to do this blind, like what if they offer me something that has night shifts etc or something I dont want. I have told my employer I am leaving and then end up not wanting the position im offered. Is this standard procedure, to not inform an applicant of what the actual role is before they basically cut ties with their current job??

I can only advise you on the procedure from my original application for CO off the 2016 panel but I was advised of Dept and location before my manager was contacted for references. I would email again and query this. Perhaps it has changed but seems unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blondie007

That doesn't sound right to me. I'm a serving CO in the civil service & when my number was reached the offered me my current position. Once I accepted it-then they followed up on references etc. They obviously can withdraw any offer if your references are poor or if you don't pass Garda Clearance but in my experience you're told your department first so you can decide if you want to take it or not.
    Sometimes I think the information you're given all depends on who you get to deal with in PAS. Hopefully someone here who has been offered a position also can shed some more light on the process for you. Best of luck & congrats, hope you end up somewhere you really enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

Same here. They want references first. But wont reveal what department

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Waffleturd

Sounds like they've changed procedure. When I was offered my current role in early 2019 I was told what department I was being assigned to before they contacted my references.

• Advertisement

This sounds about right tbh. Once all your clearance checks are done then you are emailed with your placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 EO2020

Is it Dublin? I don’t think they ever tell you on a Dublin panel! I wasn’t told on the co Dublin panel and I know people on the last Dublin EO panel who also weren’t told in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 27 V1llachamp89

blondie007 wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right to me. I'm a serving CO in the civil service & when my number was reached the offered me my current position. Once I accepted it-then they followed up on references etc. They obviously can withdraw any offer if your references are poor or if you don't pass Garda Clearance but in my experience you're told your department first so you can decide if you want to take it or not.
    Sometimes I think the information you're given all depends on who you get to deal with in PAS. Hopefully someone here who has been offered a position also can shed some more light on the process for you. Best of luck & congrats, hope you end up somewhere you really enjoy.

This is normal, I started as a HEO a while back. I had to give notice to current employer without knowing where I'd be placed.

This is normal, I started as a HEO a while back. I had to give notice to current employer without knowing where I'd be placed.

Hope you got somewhere you like at least. I think it's very unfair the way they withhold the Dept-talk about pressure. Being in Cork-I could end up working 60-70 miles away if that's the case as there are a good few Depts outside of the City in West Cork etc. Not ideal at all.

Hope you got somewhere you like at least. I think it's very unfair the way they withhold the Dept-talk about pressure. Being in Cork-I could end up working 60-70 miles away if that's the case as there are a good few Depts outside of the City in West Cork etc. Not ideal at all.

And on the basis of distance, as I’ve read here before, if the distance is greater than 45km you can refuse and be offered an alternative dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭furrybones

Does anyone have the email address to contact PAS regarding this campaign?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

gestappo wrote: »
    And on the basis of distance, as I’ve read here before, if the distance is greater than 45km you can refuse and be offered an alternative dept.

I did thankfully.

I understand how you feel I was left in no mans land when PAS told me to give notice before they told me the department. It's not ideal but it's a risk you have to consider especially if your current employer gets alerted. I told PAS of my concerns with this , I was also saying to PAS is this guaranteed now , what of it falls through?. The lady from PAS didn't feel the worries that I felt and was saying that they need a reference from your current employer.

furrybones wrote: »
    Does anyone have the email address to contact PAS regarding this campaign?

LargeVolumeRecruitment5@publicjobs.ie

Quote EO 2020 in the subject line .

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭CivilCybil

They told me the town I would be working in but not the department. Then they checked my references and then told me where I was being placed.
    Not sure but I know that for the only local place here that does night shifts, they emailed separately asking for expressions of interest because of the shift work. So I was on a panel and would get emails asking for people to email if they were interested in being placed in that department.
    I don't think that the jobs on the regular panel would include shift work but I'm open to correction as I'm only basing that on my own experience.
    It is difficult to take that leap but I figured that even if I hated where I ended up or had a commute I could apply for mobility after a year. I also think you can turn down a position that is more than 45km away (although not if it's Dublin based on other threads I've seen).

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭furrybones

LargeVolumeRecruitment5@publicjobs.ie

Quote EO 2020 in the subject line .

Thank you so much!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Anyone know if they accept references from the HR dept of a previous employer?

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Anyone know if they accept references from the HR dept of a previous employer?

Yes but from my experience they want character references from a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Yes but from my experience they want character references from a manager.

Thanks for that.

Also, do you have to have references for every job covering the past 3 years or can you nominate a few references of your choice?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

Hi everyone, haven't looked at this thread for a while as haven't been called for Etray - do you need to have +130 score in verbal and questionnaire to even get called for etray?

I thought my order of merit after the test was pretty decent, 70s in open, 20s in interdepartmental.

Because I scored less than 130 I'm screwed basically? Even though judging by my order of merit there really isn't many ahead of me that did better.

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Also, do you have to have references for every job covering the past 3 years or can you nominate a few references of your choice?

Thanks.

I'm not sure exactly. The lady form PAS that I was dealing with was a piece of work, she didn't offer me the chance to nominate but rather was pushing for references in my case (HEO competition) for the past five years

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭facade

Stiltzkin wrote: »
    Hi everyone, haven't looked at this thread for a while as haven't been called for Etray - do you need to have +130 score in verbal and questionnaire to even get called for etray?

I thought my order of merit after the test was pretty decent, 70s in open, 20s in interdepartmental.

Because I scored less than 130 I'm screwed basically? Even though judging by my order of merit there really isn't many ahead of me that did better.

What county did you apply for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 brianmurray

Ive asked a few people this one but getting mixed answers...if your a CO with a Local Authority, top of scale, do you have to bounce back to the start of the EO pay because your not civil service? I spent a few month alright as EO during college just for a summer tho presumably thats irrelevant.....

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

Ive asked a few people this one but getting mixed answers...if your a CO with a Local Authority, top of scale, do you have to bounce back to the start of the EO pay because your not civil service? I spent a few month alright as EO during college just for a summer tho presumably thats irrelevant.....

I know moving as a CO from civil service to Local Authority your service doesn’t count so you start at the bottom of the scale. I’d assume on that basis that EOs would be the same.

The above information was taken from an information booklet for a current local authority CO competition

EO2020 wrote: »
    Is it Dublin? I don’t think they ever tell you on a Dublin panel! I wasn’t told on the co Dublin panel and I know people on the last Dublin EO panel who also weren’t told in advance
    Yeah dublin

• Advertisement

Ok so PAS has confirmed by email that I will not know where I will be placed until after they speak with my current employer for reference. Does anyone have any indication as to the length of time between clearance and actually starting the new role? So I will have to tell my employer im planning on leaving, can they give me a reference, but I dont have a clue how much notice I should be giving. Like if its going to be months between clearance and placement I dont want to give 1 month notice and then be waiting until I hear from them. On the other hand, my employer is obviously going to want some sort of timeline so they can plan on my replacement. At the moment if I went and asked for a reference and they asked when I was thinking of leaving its all very vague, dont know when, dont know if I am even definitely leaving depending on department offer...

Advertisement