Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

For those who have been assigned so far, has it just been a case of the department asking when you can start? Or have you all been given a start date? If so, have the start dates been pretty quick?

Trying to figure out if I'll be able get a few days off between finishing my current job and taking the new one without having to take any leave!

(PAS have received everything they need from me and my references now so I'm assuming I'll hear from my department in the next couple of days)

Fingers crossed you won’t be waiting much longer.

In relation to the new HR, you can tell them when you can start within reason. Most departments are fairly flexible. One of my friends got their start date at the end of March for the 4th May so plenty to work around it if something like that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BeeBee1986

MonikaB wrote: »
    I was OOM 300 on the interdepartmental and did my etray in Feb

Thanks,hoping to get call but Im about 1350.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MonikaB

BeeBee1986 wrote: »
    Thanks,hoping to get call but Im about 1350.

I would imagine next batch might go as high, it's really hard to say with them
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

gestappo wrote: »

In relation to the new HR, you can tell them when you can start within reason. Most departments are fairly flexible. One of my friends got their start date at the end of March for the 4th May so plenty to work around it if something like that happens.

Do they tell you the start date or ask you when it suits you to start.Lots of candidates could have holidays due from present job. Sorry for another question will the information come on the MESSAGE Board or a phone call .

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭niallmacsuain

gestappo wrote: »

Cheers mate, I'm kinda hoping that they ask me when I can start so that I can get out of the current job (shift work) asap.

• Advertisement

hillbloom wrote: »
    Do they tell you the start date or ask you when it suits you to start.Lots of candidates could have holidays due from present job. Sorry for another question will the information come on the MESSAGE Board or a phone call .

More then likely they’ll give you a 4 week start date but if that doesn’t suit don’t be afraid to say it and organise a date between yourselves of when suits. It’s no skin off their nose when you start as long as it’s reasonable, they will accommodate.

You’ll be alerted on your publicjobs message board of your department assignment, and then roughly a week later the HR of that dept will contact you. You can always contact them yourself in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Spudikus

For those who have been assigned so far, has it just been a case of the department asking when you can start? Or have you all been given a start date? If so, have the start dates been pretty quick?

Trying to figure out if I'll be able get a few days off between finishing my current job and taking the new one without having to take any leave!

(PAS have received everything they need from me and my references now so I'm assuming I'll hear from my department in the next couple of days)

I got assigned to Revenue, starting next week. They asked me early last week what sort of notice I would be required to give and that the preferred starting day would be a Monday. As I'm currently in hospitality I told them i didn't require much notice as I'm not actually in work so basically told them I'd be available from 26th, which was slightly less than 2 weeks from when I was asked.

You can work out a suitable start date with them, I gave them a quick date as I was free to start but I'm sure their is some flexibility. They will inform you on Public Jobs message board about which department you have been assigned to and then a few days later someone from personnel section of that department will email you to sort out details. I've not actually spoken to anyone in my department yet, all dealings have been by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BeeBee1986

I would imagine next batch might go as high, it's really hard to say with them
    Best of luck

Thanks.Best of luck in the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭CivilCybil

My start was very flexible. I had to give 6 weeks notice in my current job. The start date then fell at an awkward time for me so when they contacted me about a start date I just replied that due to notice and annual leave, I could start on x date and to let me know if there were any issues and I would talk to current employer and see if notice could be shortened. They replied that X date was fine.

It might vary depending on departments but that was my experience.

• Advertisement

Spudikus wrote: »
    I got assigned to Revenue, starting next week. They asked me early last week what sort of notice I would be required to give and that the preferred starting day would be a Monday. As I'm currently in hospitality I told them i didn't require much notice as I'm not actually in work so basically told them I'd be available from 26th, which was slightly less than 2 weeks from when I was asked.

Revenue is brilliant to be assigned to, so many possibilities. Which section did you get if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Galwayhurl

Any COs or EOs on here who are working from home, what hours are you doing? Are they fixed by your manager?

Do you have to take a full hour for lunch or can you take shorter? I take it that flexi is not an option at home?

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KRedzer

Galwayhurl wrote: »
    Any COs or EOs on here who are working from home, what hours are you doing? Are they fixed by your manager?

Do you have to take a full hour for lunch or can you take shorter? I take it that flexi is not an option at home?

Thanks a million.

Yeah, flexi is currently suspended. I'm currently working from home and my manager has been pretty flexible with which start/finish times I'd like.

Thanks a million.

Working from home since March last year. Flexi is suspended and most weeks we have the option to work Saturdays as well. Other than days we are required for training or phone shifts we are pretty flexible on time.
    You just need to work your 37hrs a week.
    That's Revenue though, can't speak for other departments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

You can work out a suitable start date with them, I gave them a quick date as I was free to start but I'm sure their is some flexibility. They will inform you on Public Jobs message board about which department you have been assigned to and then a few days later someone from personnel section of that department will email you to sort out details. I've not actually spoken to anyone in my department yet, all dealings have been by email.

Well done! Did you have to go in the head office to pick up a computer or do you use ones own computer/laptop. Are you working from home.

KRedzer wrote: »

Yeah, flexi is currently suspended. I'm currently working from home and my manager has been pretty flexible with which start/finish times I'd like.
    Working from home since March last year. Flexi is suspended and most weeks we have the option to work Saturdays as well. Other than days we are required for training or phone shifts we are pretty flexible on time.
    You just need to work your 37hrs a week.
    That's Revenue though, can't speak for other departments

Thanks for your replies.

Right, so flexi is suspended in terms of working up hours to take time off but it seems that there is flexi time in terms of what hours you can work? That sounds great.

Obviously it's up to the department/manager but the fact that some are doing it sounds promising. Thanks again!

Thanks for your replies.

Right, so flexi is suspended in terms of working up hours to take time off but it seems that there is flexi time in terms of what hours you can work? That sounds great.

Obviously it's up to the department/manager but the fact that some are doing it sounds promising. Thanks again!
    Exactly, we cannot work any time up but we are pretty flexible on when we start and when we finish. I still try to do 8-4 with half hour break but if I need a long lunch or can't work in the morning, I have time until 8pm every day plus most Saturdays to ensure I work my 37hrs

Well done! Did you have to go in the head office to pick up a computer or do you use ones own computer/laptop. Are you working from home.

From experience I can tell you we are very short on official laptops so most of us have citrix installed on our own pj's but there was an option to collect units from the office. Once again, that's Revenue

Exactly, we cannot work any time up but we are pretty flexible on when we start and when we finish. I still try to do 8-4 with half hour break but if I need a long lunch or can't work in the morning, I have time until 8pm every day plus most Saturdays to ensure I work my 37hrs

Thanks very much Monika. And KRedzer!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Thanks very much Monika. And KRedzer!

Just to add that you are expected to still work an ordinary day, unless there are circumstances preventing you from doing so. That is, you can't decide to work 11 to 7 every day. You are still expected to be there during the core hours (10 to 12.30 and 2.30 to 4)
    That's for Revenue too!

• Advertisement

delricyo wrote: »
    Just to add that you are expected to still work an ordinary day, unless there are circumstances preventing you from doing so. That is, you can't decide to work 11 to 7 every day. You are still expected to be there during the core hours (10 to 12.30 and 2.30 to 4)
    That's for Revenue too!

Ah yeah, expectation is for you to work core hours however in many circumstances managers allow for deviation. I always text mine and tell her I won't be in early or will be out longer. Child minding comes into play a lot for many of us and allowances are in place.
    Still, it varies by branch, my HEO and AP are very accommodating

Revenue is brilliant to be assigned to, so many possibilities. Which section did you get if you don't mind me asking?

Have been assigned to customs

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭CivilCybil

Thanks for your replies.

In my department we can start anytime between 8 and 10am. Can take 30 mins to 2 hours for lunch between 12.30pm and 2.30pm. And finish anytime between 4 and 7pm. But you have to work 7.24 hours.
    Most days I work 8 to 4 taking a half hour for lunch. But the flexibility is great if I fancy a lie in :D

I'm going into head office next week for induction but will be working from home I believe. Currently trying to sort out the computer situation, but probably will be using my brothers laptop (he has a work laptop so doesn't need it during the day) as I don't really have space for a full pc set which they seemed to be offering and my laptop is very old.

Have been assigned to customs

From interdepartmental? I didn't realise they took from outside. I knew Trade facilitation did.
    Well done, enjoy customs

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭niallmacsuain

How long did everyone take from when their last reference was sent in to when you received your assignment?

Maybe I'm just being impatient because I'm excited to hear where I'm going but I've been going through clearance for three weeks and everything has been received as of yesterday but I'm yet to hear anything.

Refreshing my email every ten minutes haha

CivilCybil wrote: »
    In my department we can start anytime between 8 and 10am. Can take 30 mins to 2 hours for lunch between 12.30pm and 2.30pm. And finish anytime between 4 and 7pm. But you have to work 7.24 hours.
    Most days I work 8 to 4 taking a half hour for lunch. But the flexibility is great if I fancy a lie in :D

That sounds ideal! Thanks Cybil.

How long did everyone take from when their last reference was sent in to when you received your assignment?

Maybe I'm just being impatient because I'm excited to hear where I'm going but I've been going through clearance for three weeks and everything has been received as of yesterday but I'm yet to hear anything.

Refreshing my email every ten minutes haha

The deadline that my references had to have submitted same was March 31st. I got the appointment email from PAS on April 9th so about a week I'd say.

They have other things to do after your references and vetting are done. Not sure what they are but presumably it involves liaising with the department to which you will be appointed. Hang tight. You're nearly there!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

The deadline that my references had to have submitted same was March 31st. I got the appointment email from PAS on April 9th so about a week I'd say.

They have other things to do after your references and vetting are done. Not sure what they are but presumably it involves liaising with the department to which you will be appointed. Hang tight. You're nearly there!

Mine seems to have been another way around to most - I was told from the start I was going to be posted with the Policing Authority and extra vetting is required. I'm still waiting for the result of my clearance five weeks in. Hope it doesn't take the full 12 weeks they've told me it could take.

• Advertisement

tomjmsn wrote: »
    Mine seems to have been another way around to most - I was told from the start I was going to be posted with the Policing Authority and extra vetting is required. I'm still waiting for the result of my clearance five weeks in. Hope it doesn't take the full 12 weeks they've told me it could take.

Don't be surprised if it takes longer, going by previous comps I know people were waiting well over the 12 weeks.

Advertisement