Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sligo198r

I would suggest you email them.

Its would be fine until interview but if you get called for interview on the interdepartment panel and your not eligible it may cause problems for you.

Thanks, will contact them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

As I was doing the same in the CO thread here's the salary scale.

30,278 – 32,036 – 33,028 – 34,965 – 36,702 – 38,380 – 40,053 – 41,691 – 43,346 – 44,954 – 46,614 – 47,712 – LSI 1 49,274 – LSI 2 50,834

LSI 1 is after three years at the maximum, three years after that sees LSI 2.

You can add 2% to the above from 1st September.

You MAY skip points 4 and 8 but I'm not 100% sure on the eligibility of that. Payday is fortnightly on a Thursday.

Yes, you do skip points 4 and 8. The 2% increase is from the 1st of October this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

rostalof wrote: »
    Yes, you do skip points 4 and 8. The 2% increase is from the 1st of October this year.

Feck it is October. Thanks for the correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Why skip points 4 & 8? And do everyone skip these?

• Advertisement

Damn the e-tray :( - and I'm not sure if there is any prep you can do for this or is there?

Would you tell me what the e-tray means. Never heard of it.

gestappo wrote: »
    Why skip points 4 & 8? And do everyone skip these?

It's something that came in if appointed after X date to allow newer Civil Servants to catch up with their peers with pay restoration. I think the scales were extended.

hillbloom wrote: »
    They give you a practice one before the assessment but it's nowhere near as long or as intense. IIRC you have to draft a letter, answer a few emails, take a couple of phone calls (text based) and do an activity. The activity will be quite complex and involve something like scheduling 20 meetings based on the initial instructions and changing situation based on the phone calls and emails.

As daunting as it sounds, perfection is not the pass-mark. Pressing submit though, that's the trick which some people forget :pac:

If you google it you'll get some practice ones.

It's something that came in if appointed after X date to allow newer Civil Servants to catch up with their peers with pay restoration. I think the scales were extended.

Oh yes I remember that now. I skipped a couple of scales as a CO so prob won’t be skipping any EO scales!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

I was sure you only skip 4 and 8 for civil servants earning under €30k. You might have more knowledge than me, I certainly hope so.

Just a passenger

• Advertisement

If you google it you'll get some practice ones.
    Sorry. Still no wiser. Will we be doing this test before the 17th August. I found the Numerical, Verbal & job simulation test but not this e-tray. I seem to be missing something!!

Sorry. Still no wiser. Will we be doing this test before the 17th August. I found the Numerical, Verbal & job simulation test but not this e-tray. I seem to be missing something!!

No that is part of the aptitude tests which is stage 2.

Stage 1 is comprised of a situational assessment - how you react in certain situations and will have to be completed by the 17th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

It's a "real world" job simulation where you have to compose emails, arrange meetings, answer phone calls and solve problems and I think it's about showing how eloquent you are and how you prioritise tasks.

It's tough, it's long and it's hard work, but its doable. Just be patient and wait till that stage comes along before worrying about it

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Rikand wrote: »
    Just be patient and wait till that stage comes along before worrying about it

The best advice put simply.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

They added two extra points to the beginning of the scale so this was agreed to rectify that.

https://www.forsa.ie/new-entrants-deal-kicks-in/

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

They give you a practice one before the assessment but it's nowhere near as long or as intense. IIRC you have to draft a letter, answer a few emails, take a couple of phone calls (text based) and do an activity. The activity will be quite complex and involve something like scheduling 20 meetings based on the initial instructions and changing situation based on the phone calls and emails.

As daunting as it sounds, perfection is not the pass-mark. Pressing submit though, that's the trick which some people forget :pac:

Thank you Samuel T Cogley - I guess just practicing as much as you can is all you can do. I wonder how they they will do the e-Tray this year?

Do you - or does anyone know how the other test are assessed/marked

Thank you Samuel T Cogley - I guess just practicing as much as you can is all you can do. I wonder how they they will do the e-Tray this year?

Do you - or does anyone know how the other test are assessed/marked

Simple X out of Y for the stage 2 tests bar the e tray. There is a pass mark. Its 8 for the numerical and doing better than that doesn't alter your OOM unlike the reading one and the e tray.

Interview each of the competencies are scored out of 50 IIRC. You'll get the competencies in good time before the interview if you haven't been given them already. They're on the website anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

Simple X out of Y for the stage 2 tests bar the e tray. There is a pass mark. Its 8 for the numerical and doing better than that doesn't alter your OOM unlike the reading one and the e tray.

Interview each of the competencies are scored out of 50 IIRC. You'll get the competencies in good time before the interview if you haven't been given them already. They're on the website anyway.

Spot on. Interview competencies are marked out of 50 and 20 is a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Radio5

What type of device are you logging in from? Any type of mobile device, even iPad seem to have that issue.

I was using my laptop. On the fourth attempt, it went through thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EricShaw

MFPM wrote: »

Thank you for the link!

Did anybody try testprep's preparation? It looks fine I guess, but I'm not sure how accurate it is (compared to the official samples):
    jobtestprep.co.uk/irish-civil-service-executive-officer-prep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Is the next stage from the 17th of August? It doesn't mention a deadline date in the booklet.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Is the next stage from the 17th of August? It doesn't mention a deadline date in the booklet.

PAS will email the link to the online questionnaire from the 10th and deadline is the 17th August.

PAS will email the link to the online questionnaire from the 10th and deadline is the 17th August.
    Reading from the Booklet it states" if you do not receive communication to your message board by 10th August 2020 you should email them". So you must have the communication received before the 10th. & the test done by the 17th.

Another query... I understood this test consisted of the 30 minutes each for the Numerical, Verbal & Job simulation. Now I am all confused about those tests.. It says in the Booklet "Completion of an on-line Assessment Questionaire" What does that consist of. Can anyone put me clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭EireinOZ

Reading from the Booklet it states" if you do not receive communication to your message board by 10th August 2020 you should email them". So you must have the communication received before the 10th. & the test done by the 17th. I understood this test consisted of the 30 minutes each for the Numerical, Verbal & Job simulation. Now I am all confused about those tests.. can anyone put me clear.

Hi just reading the manual and I can't find that part ? Does it give an email address to email ?TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

They usually give a figure of how many people apply for these competitions. Wonder what the figure is this time

EireinOZ wrote: »
    Hi just reading the manual and I can't find that part ? Does it give an email address to email ?TIA
    Its on Page 8 of the manual. Its "largevolumerecruitment5@publicjobs.ie

Another query... I understood this test consisted of the 30 minutes each for the Numerical, Verbal & Job simulation. Now I am all confused about those tests.. It says in the Booklet "Completion of an on-line Assessment Questionaire" What does that consist of. Can anyone put me clear.

Assuming they use the same format as EO 2019 - Stage one is the Assessment Questionnaire. They will ask you questions about:

1. Your personality
    2. The type of jobs you would like,
    3. Your key skills compared to others you have worked with

4. Situational Judgement Test - They will give you a situation (a story) and four possible responses. You will need to judge each individual response as Excellent, Good, Adequate, Weak or Bad.

If you pass the assessment questionnaire, your given an order of merit in which you be called to stage two - which involves a Verbal and Numerical Reasoning tests and an E-tray exercise.

--- --- ---

It should be said the assessment questionnaire is probably the hardest part of the recruitment process and will eliminate about 20-30% of all applicants.

Assuming they use the same format as EO 2019 - Stage one is the Assessment Questionnaire. They will ask you questions about

Thanks so much for your reply!! So am I correct in thinking its not possible to do any preparation for Stage 1. You just log in & see whats in front of you. Would you have any idea what length if time is allowed for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mrnew wrote: »
    They usually give a figure of how many people apply for these competitions. Wonder what the figure is this time

millions :D

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for your reply!! So am I correct in thinking its not possible to do any preparation for Stage 1. You just log in & see whats in front of you. Would you have any idea what length if time is allowed for that.

There is no time limits on the assessment as long as you click submit before the deadline date and time.

There isn't really anything to practise on Stage 1, in part 1 (sections 1, 2 & 3) the questions are about you; and the SJT depends on the situation and the responses your given.

Advertisement