Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Grey AP wrote: »
    Depends on the department. Very recently, a friend was told their section in the department when they got their starting date letter, but I know of a few people in my own dept who have come in on day one and been assigned to a section then. Whether they then work remotely depends on the section they are assigned to, but you'd have to think that wfh would be the norm until the summer at least.

Is it a case of you don't know whether you are working from the office or WFH until the first day. I would like to know this before I start to have plans made.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HungrySeagull

hillbloom wrote: »
    Is it a case of you don't know whether you are working from the office or WFH until the first day. I would like to know this before I start to have plans made.

I'm on day 2 in my EO role. Same Dept. but different location for me. WFH at the moment, might be going into the office next week for some tasks. Manager called me a few days before starting to let me know the working arrangements.

You will probably only find out a few days beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Well I’ve just heard that I got my placement and I’ll be staying in my own department which I’m happy with.

Best of luck to you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭morrism

gestappo wrote: »
    Well I’ve just heard that I got my placement and I’ll be staying in my own department which I’m happy with.

Best of luck to you all!

Brilliant, well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,974 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Best of luck to you all!

Congratulations. Delighted that it worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Em_Caramel

Best of luck to you all!

Delighted for you, well deserved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SheevPalps

Has anyone an idea how long the clearance process can last? Seems like I have been in clearance forever, my references have been submitted, and Garda vetting completed Friday gone by.

I have been under consideration since the 14th so 2 weeks now, is that average?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

SheevPalps wrote: »
    Has anyone an idea how long the clearance process can last? Seems like I have been in clearance forever, my references have been submitted, and Garda vetting completed Friday gone by.

I have been under consideration since the 14th so 2 weeks now, is that average?

Mine was completed 23 March so over 5 weeks ago. I was told the process varies from candidate to candidate and no timescales can be provided as to how long it will last.

tomjmsn wrote: »
    Mine was completed 23 March so over 5 weeks ago. I was told the process varies from candidate to candidate and no timescales can be provided as to how long it will last.

Thanks, I figured it could be as long as a piece of string. Completed 5 weeks after it began? Have you started working as of yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kiki smiling

Maestro85 wrote: »
    Anyone sit the etray for Clare yet?

I haven't yet, I'm top 50 on open panel for Clare

• Advertisement

SheevPalps wrote: »
    Thanks, I figured it could be as long as a piece of string. Completed 5 weeks after it began? Have you started working as of yet?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I can see on the Vetting site the application process was completed on 23 March (5 weeks ago), but I still haven't heard back yet the final result. I've asked them several times what's going on and been told to wait.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I can see on the Vetting site the application process was completed on 23 March (5 weeks ago), but I still haven't heard back yet the final result. I've asked them several times what's going on and been told to wait.

Oh wow. I better batten down the hatches so. Hope you hear something soon. Are you on the panel for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mayoman89

Hey guys, could anyone tell me if I turn down an offer on the open panel does that mean I'd be skipped on the interdepartmental panel too after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If allocated to Justice or AGS the wait can be upto (and over) 16 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

Can I ask anyone from batch 1 how long were you waiting between results of e tray and invitation to interview? I'm under 15 for interdepartmental and under 60 for the open competition in batch 2.

If allocated to Justice or AGS the wait can be upto (and over) 16 weeks.

Yeah I was told upto 12 weeks or thereabouts. Do you know of many cases where clearance has been rejected? I have nothing in my past I'm worried about only my residence in the UK and China.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yeah I was told upto 12 weeks or thereabouts. Do you know of many cases where clearance has been rejected? I have nothing in my past I'm worried about only my residence in the UK and China.

I'm aware of one lad who got rejected due to family links to organised crime. If it happens in a general competition you just end up being placed elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Help! I was contacted by HR for EO about particular post, I have an old qualification in niche area but absolutely hated it. Spoke to 2 people in the relevant department and honestly tried to put them off. They offered me the job and I responded back to HR outlining the reasons why I think it would not be a good fit, since then and 2 follow up emails I have had radio silence, does this mean that I am out of the competition. Ps it is insane that you have to tell current employers before getting your assignment. My head is melted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mackdublin

I was placed in the 90's OOM after the e tray in Dublin.
    Do you think there is a chance they will make it past 0 to 90 in the interviews and if so what kind of timelines might be involved?

I'm new to this process so this thread is a great help,

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ooops..

Does anyone know if you undergo Garda Vetting as part of clearance if you are a currently a civil servant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭niallmacsuain

Ooops.. wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you undergo Garda Vetting as part of clearance if you are a currently a civil servant?

You do.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭budget1984

Are there two panels in place at the moment. I know a few people who have recently been promoted to EO and they were all on a 2019 Internal panel which is due to expire in 2022. How does this work when 2 panels in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

budget1984 wrote: »
    Are there two panels in place at the moment. I know a few people who have recently been promoted to EO and they were all on a 2019 Internal panel which is due to expire in 2022. How does this work when 2 panels in place?
    They alternate between panels, but some panels have more weight than others. For example they might pull three from one and two from another. There's some union agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 22 lolo3103

Hi,I'm waiting to to called for an interview soon so I'm just working on my competencies atm. I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are? Right now all my 6 competencies are based on my CO role in a department I was in over 2 years ago, I was basically performing at an EO level so I just feel like these are my strongest examples. But I'm wondering if the interview team prefer a variety of examples and would they be looking for your most recent examples rather than older ones? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

lolo3103 wrote: »
    Hi,I'm waiting to to called for an interview soon so I'm just working on my competencies atm. I'm just wondering what peoples opinions are? Right now all my 6 competencies are based on my CO role in a department I was in over 2 years ago, I was basically performing at an EO level so I just feel like these are my strongest examples. But I'm wondering if the interview team prefer a variety of examples and would they be looking for your most recent examples rather than older ones? Thanks

I would suggest a few outside of your CO work role. If you have any other work experience maybe you could use some back up examples from there? I used examples from my entire work life but made sure to let them know what I carried experience wise from those examples to my current role. At the time I had managerial experience in the private sector and a few years CO experience. I got promoted on it so it’s just my two pence worth.
    Good luck with it ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MonikaB

Purpletoes wrote: »
    I would suggest a few outside of your CO work role. If you have any other work experience maybe you could use some back up examples from there? I used examples from my entire work life but made sure to let them know what I carried experience wise from those examples to my current role. At the time I had managerial experience in the private sector and a few years CO experience. I got promoted on it so it’s just my two pence worth.
    Good luck with it ðŸ˜

Completely agree with you. I am same, take on loads of responsibilities because of my expternal experience but the advice I was given before the interview was to show that i have leadership skills and this cannot be shown through CO level experience. Of course i used my most recent examples as well, but my strongest were the private sector ones.
    I was successful in the EO and HEO so it definitely pays off to use external experience. You can't forget about your drive and commitment to public sector but always go with your strongest example

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Hanfam11

Can anyone tell me up to what number has been called for etray for Dublin or Meath please?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

Hanfam11 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me up to what number has been called for etray for Dublin or Meath please?

I did my etray in February. I was just under 580 in the open and just under 200 in the interdepartmental. I am considered to be in batch 2. Hope that helps. I'm not sure how much further down the list they went after me in that batch and as far as I'm aware, we were the last group to do etray.

In Meath I am just under 80 in open and under 30 in interdepartmental

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭morrism

Liamario wrote: »
    They alternate between panels, but some panels have more weight than others. For example they might pull three from one and two from another. There's some union agreement

I'm on the 2019 panel, for Sligo and Leitrim and I'm next in line for both counties. We got an email today to say that the panel has been extended to October 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

Did it say the 2019 panel was extended or specifically mention these counties? I’ve no idea what pas are up to at this point.

Advertisement