Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lostinhiding

Hi,

I was asked for permission to contact my current employer for a reference a week ago now and have not heard since,

Should I send a query email or does this sound like normal wait times?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,986 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Hi,

I was asked for permission to contact my current employer for a reference a week ago now and have not heard since,

Should I send a query email or does this sound like normal wait times?

I'd leave it for another week. These things take time and don't forget it is a bank holiday week so there's bound to be a few off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lostinhiding

I'd leave it for another week. These things take time and don't forget it is a bank holiday week so there's bound to be a few off.

that's fair but it's such a long process, i've had watched kettle syndrome since last year!

that's fair but it's such a long process, i've had watched kettle syndrome since last year!

I know I know. But these things do take time unfortunately. You're nearly there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blondie007

I hear that big time. At least you've been interviewed & you're almost there.
    No one outside of Dublin has been interviewed yet-9 months into a 2 year panel now & we're still waiting for interview dates after getting our etray results-which we also had an extra long wait for. You're nearly there-hang tight. This is the most frustrating panel process ever !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Blueskies2019

blondie007 wrote: »
    I hear that big time. At least you've been interviewed & you're almost there.
    No one outside of Dublin has been interviewed yet-9 months into a 2 year panel now & we're still waiting for interview dates after getting our etray results-which we also had an extra long wait for. You're nearly there-hang tight. This is the most frustrating panel process ever !!

Nothing compared to the 2019 Competition... 😉

Nothing compared to the 2019 Competition... ��

Really?? How long were you waiting on that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

It was 11 months from advertisement before either of my counties reached interview for the 2019 panel. 2 months after etray.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭CivilCybil

For 2019 panel I was interviewed in August 2019 and placed on panel, just above top 10.
    I wasn't placed until February 2021. So 18 months between interview and placement.
    Combination of covid and people holding out until October 2020 for scheduled pay increase before retiring. It moved really quickly after October 2020.

EO2019 wrote: »
    It was 11 months from advertisement before either of my counties reached interview for the 2019 panel. 2 months after etray.

Wow !!! Looks like this one will be the same so......very frustrating.....

• Advertisement

Got called to the first batch of E-Tray for one of my counties early on in the Competition. Did really well and climbed to a decent OOM. Unfortunately ‘last year’ happened and my number was never reached not even for Interview. For my 2nd county I never even received a new OOM. Very little recruitment on the 2019 comp for some counties. And the process is soo long!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 EO2020

Got called to the first batch of E-Tray for one of my counties early on in the Competition. Did really well and climbed to a decent OOM. Unfortunately ‘last year’ happened and my number was never reached not even for Interview. For my 2nd county I never even received a new OOM. Very little recruitment on the 2019 comp for some counties. And the process is soo long!

Nothing much PAS can do if departments don’t have vacancies though. DPER are the ones who want the competitions run and set out the criteria/tests etc. so PAS have to work with what they’ve got. Frustrating I know but unfortunately outside Dublin opportunities are low.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Apply away & Good Luck to you.

I joined the Civil Service when I was 47, they're not ageist at all. My friend was in her late 50's when she started.

Application submitted :-)

EO2020 wrote: »
    Nothing much PAS can do if departments don’t have vacancies though. DPER are the ones who want the competitions run and set out the criteria/tests etc. so PAS have to work with what they’ve got. Frustrating I know but unfortunately outside Dublin opportunities are low.

True, but never saiid it was. My response was to a poster saying this Comp is a long process, I simply compared it to the 2019 comp.
    Sure even if you get to and pass an interview it is not a guarantee they’ll reach your OOM. In the regional panels anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LuckyBan

I applied for the 2019 panel (Meath and Cavan) and was in first batch for etray. I placed OOM 2 for both and was waiting over a year and a half to be called for interview. Passed the interview end of March there and was placed no 4 only to have a message today to say the 2019 panel is now closed. There seems to be so few positions in these counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Em2157

Hi, does anyone know if all of those from batch 1 that made it to interview were interviewed before they move on to batch 2 soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭T900i

Em2157 wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know if all of those from batch 1 that made it to interview were interviewed before they move on to batch 2 soon?

I emailed in relation to the next batch for Etray as I was hoping that I would be in it. I’m Dublin 13xx open and 49x in interdepartmental OOM 108. They said they have reached 978 in open and 37? in interdepartmental but couldn’t give a definitive answer to when the next batch would be called for Etray. Hopefully I’ll hear something over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Davis3265al

Anybody know if they will be calling for interview regionally soon or will we be waiting months again. Got top 3 in both my counties so hoping they hurry up and start calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

PAS are now only calling candidates for interviews when a request for staff come in from departments. Due to the nature of interviewing via video calls they can’t have a blitz day of interviews like they used to do in their building in Dublin. It is my understanding the PAS hope to have regional panels established by mid summer so that if and when requests come in they have candidates ready to go.

However they are facing huge backlogs in forming CO panels across the country (dublin included) and these are the priority at the moment. My own dept are waiting over a month for COs from PAS for both Dublin and regional posts.

We’ll just have to sit it out and hope we are called soon. I’m hoping to be in the next batch called to e-tray in Dublin whenever that is!

LuckyBan wrote: »
    I applied for the 2019 panel (Meath and Cavan) and was in first batch for etray. I placed OOM 2 for both and was waiting over a year and a half to be called for interview. Passed the interview end of March there and was placed no 4 only to have a message today to say the 2019 panel is now closed. There seems to be so few positions in these counties.

So sorry to hear that, especially after you'd done so well in both counties. Heartbreaking after all that waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 edd_209

Has anybody received their results from etray tests for outside of Dublin?

I got my Dublin results back and am in batch 2 but I haven't heard anything yet wrt Galway which was my other pick

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭T900i

LuckyBan wrote: »

That must have been a really hard email to receive I really feel for you.
    I hope you have applied for the 2020 competition

Hey everyone, following on from my post yesterday I just received a message about interest in interview for westmeath (im in top 3) after etray. But it states that if I accept this choice then I am knocked of my other counties list (also in top 3). I thought that if you went for interview you stayed on both panels and if you pass you get selected for whichever county comes first?am I wrong in this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Hey everyone, following on from my post yesterday I just received a message about interest in interview for westmeath (im in top 3) after etray. But it states that if I accept this choice then I am knocked of my other counties list (also in top 3). I thought that if you went for interview you stayed on both panels and if you pass you get selected for whichever county comes first?am I wrong in this? Thanks

Yes. Once you accept an interview for one of your chosen counties you’re automatically removed from the other.

I’m in the same predicament! Got called for my number 2 county (I’m top 3 in both also). Really want my number 1 but am a very cautious person so finding it hard to turn down!

I’m in the same predicament! Got called for my number 2 county (I’m top 3 in both also). Really want my number 1 but am a very cautious person so finding it hard to turn down!

That is exactly where I am at too, if I say no im holding out hope to get called for my first choice county or do I accept 2nd choice and hopefully pass interview and get a position sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 25 little mrs

Hi all,
    Can someone please advise as to eligibility requirements.. I didn't meet the criteria for 2019 after being offered a position. I submitted all educational qualifications. My Leaving Cert was only slightly off, but I have numerous courses completed along with many many years of experience to which I would have thought adds up to equal qualifications but they have decided I was still not eligible. Anyway, my question is.. Is there any way I can get through another way such as interdepartmental or internal, or do all competitions have the same educational requirements? I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any advice.

Is the commute much worse? I’m looking at an hour each way for county 2 vs 15 mins for my first choice.

Is the commute much worse? I’m looking at an hour each way for county 2 vs 15 mins for my first choice.

That's a no brainer. That hour each way would get very old very fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Em2157

T900i wrote: »
    I emailed in relation to the next batch for Etray as I was hoping that I would be in it. I’m Dublin 13xx open and 49x in interdepartmental OOM 108. They said they have reached 978 in open and 37? in interdepartmental but couldn’t give a definitive answer to when the next batch would be called for Etray. Hopefully I’ll hear something over the summer.
    Thanks for this. Good luck, and I hope they start a 3rd round of etray for you guys soon.
    My question was more for anyone who was in batch 1 of interviews. I've just passed etray in batch 2, and placed at oom 12x. We had an email saying they would be interviewing up to OOM 90, so I'm just wondering if I will be interviewed before they move on to batch 3? I'm basically trying to see if all of those in batch one that got to interview stage were interviewed?

Advertisement