Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭morrism

SheevPalps wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas on how long processes can take once you get your assignment? I received word I had it and that a HR would be in touch soon, about 3 weeks ago ��

I would get in touch directly with the HR team where you have been assigned. When I was assigned to the civil service as CO I got the placement email, told me where I was being placed etc and I was told that the HR department would contact me in the next week. Didn't hear anything so after 10 days I contacted them myself. Hear nothing until PAS contacted me again to say there had been a mix up and the position I was told I had got was filled by internal transfer. Major panic for PAS I had already handed in my notice in my job because I was on permanent night for 4 years at that stage so wanted to get my body clock back in normal time! But their offer via email was a legally binding contract so another position (and the one Im still in) was found within 48 hours!!! Don't wait for HR to contact you, my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

Anyone recruited from Irish panel 2019 lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Congratulations! Where are you headed?

I'll say when their HR get in touch and it's all settled. But I'm very happy with the posting.

Onwards and upwards as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Anyone recruited from Irish panel 2019 lately?

The 2019 EO panel is finished. I don't know if the Irish language stream is treated separately

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SheevPalps

morrism wrote: »
    I would get in touch directly with the HR team where you have been assigned. When I was assigned to the civil service as CO I got the placement email, told me where I was being placed etc and I was told that the HR department would contact me in the next week. Didn't hear anything so after 10 days I contacted them myself. Hear nothing until PAS contacted me again to say there had been a mix up and the position I was told I had got was filled by internal transfer. Major panic for PAS I had already handed in my notice in my job because I was on permanent night for 4 years at that stage so wanted to get my body clock back in normal time! But their offer via email was a legally binding contract so another position (and the one Im still in) was found within 48 hours!!! Don't wait for HR to contact you, my advice.

Wow... That'd put the fear in you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

Hi, for those in the know;

I am currently a CO on point 6 of the scale.

Does anyone know, if i apply for the higher scale (merit) and then get promoted as an EO will I automatically go to the higher scale on the EO?

I wasn't sure if I will apply, there was an email about it (internal) and as I currently still a CO i was tempted to apply, don't want to go through the hassle if I won't be better off (financially)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

Does anyone know, if i apply for the higher scale (merit) and then get promoted as an EO will I automatically go to the higher scale on the EO?

I wasn't sure if I will apply, there was an email about it (internal) and as I currently still a CO i was tempted to apply, don't want to go through the hassle if I won't be better off (financially)

If you took the job you would not go onto less of a salary because the whole point of a promotion is to be a gain. I would suspect you would go onto point 2 or 3 of the normal EO scale and have to apply again for higher if you got the opportunity.

“The rules governing starting pay on promotion to a higher grade are set out in Circular 34/77 . Civil Servants promoted through internal confined competitions are entitled to the more favourable of the following:

The minimum point of the new scale.
    Pay equivalent to their existing pay, including their accrued increment on the current scale, if any, plus an immediate increment on the new scale”

This is the same for open competitions.

Wow... That'd put the fear in you

I know, that's why I had to comment on your post because I would not have believed that could happen! In fairness they did get the Garda Clearance expedited for me because of their mistake, so clearance only took 4 weeks instead of the normal 16 which it was at that stage. And all for the best because I like where I am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

tgdaly wrote: »
    The 2019 EO panel is finished. I don't know if the Irish language stream is treated separately

This was a separate campaign. Interviews were not held for this campaign until this time last year. Just wondering if anyone is on this panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blondie007

You wouldn't go onto the EO Higher Scale as it's a merit based scale like the CO one you're thinking of applying for. However, you would go on to the normal scale EO Point closest upwards to the salary amount you're on at time of promotion plus 1 increment. See Point 1.2 below

1.1 On promotion, an officer will be appointed at the minimum point of the new scale
    unless any of the conditions set out at 1.2 apply.

1.2 (i) Where the officer's current salary is above the minimum point of the new scale
    but below the normal maximum, the nearest point above the officer's current salary
    point plus one increment.

Hope this helps. Good luck if you apply for the CO Higher Scale. Either way you're going to be better off if you get an EO position.

• Advertisement

My Department called me today looking for a start date; they move fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SheevPalps

morrism wrote: »
    I know, that's why I had to comment on your post because I would not have believed that could happen! In fairness they did get the Garda Clearance expedited for me because of their mistake, so clearance only took 4 weeks instead of the normal 16 which it was at that stage. And all for the best because I like where I am now.

I emailed today and got a response saying they have a high volume of new assignments and someone would be in contact shortly, gives me some hope it's not messed up anyways. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lostinhiding

My Department called me today looking for a start date; they move fast!

Great to hear good for you! I hope it all works out!

I got my assignment today as well, turned out to be error in communication with reference check, hoping it's as little as a day like you before they get in touch!

Very excited to (hopefully) be financially stable

I emailed today and got a response saying they have a high volume of new assignments and someone would be in contact shortly, gives me some hope it's not messed up anyways. Thanks!
    Excellent news, I hope I didn't give you a heart attack!! Good luck in your new position.

Great to hear good for you! I hope it all works out!

I got my assignment today as well, turned out to be error in communication with reference check, hoping it's as little as a day like you before they get in touch!

Very excited to (hopefully) be financially stable

I've a video call tomorrow. So hopefully I will, find out my section as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭tomjmsn

Just had my clearance through today. Such a relief. Took exactly eight weeks for higher level of checks to be finalised. Maybe I was too quick to criticise them. Good luck to everyone else still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Zambrotta1

Excellent congrats! Things starting to move now for me this week also, hopefully vetting wont take too long....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AntH971

Trying to get up to speed on how things work, this is the first campaign I’ve applied to. I’m in batch 2 and accepted the offer of interest in an interview for a position in Dublin, but no clue when I’ll hear more about it. Scored well in my E-tray and I’m within the top numbers for my OOM, so I’m presuming soon? Since there was about a week between the release of the E-tray results and the accepting of interest in an interview email. Or am I naive and will I be waiting a year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Em_Caramel

tomjmsn wrote: »
    Just had my clearance through today. Such a relief. Took exactly eight weeks for higher level of checks to be finalised. Maybe I was too quick to criticise them. Good luck to everyone else still waiting.

Excellent, delighted for you! I'm a couple of weeks behind you so I've my fingers crossed now it won't be too much longer.

Did you get any more details about your position or a start date?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

tomjmsn wrote: »

Congratulations. Have they told you what the next steps are? Did that include reference checks? After 11 weeks I have now been asked about references. I’m not sure if that means I’ve even passed clearance yet tbh. My work history is not the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

Seesee wrote: »
    Congratulations. Have they told you what the next steps are? Did that include reference checks? After 11 weeks I have now been asked about references. I’m not sure if that means I’ve even passed clearance yet tbh. My work history is not the norm.

The references are checked as part of the clearance process. When you get through the clearance process they call you and let you know the details of the he contact for the department you’re assigned too.

I had a few months wait due to a clerical error when I was assigned a role a few years ago and it was because reference checks had been marked completed but weren’t. It was a hold up but not the end of the world but only got realised because I rang for an update so I would suggest if you don’t hear anything in a week or two just check in with them.

Purpletoes wrote: »
    The references are checked as part of the clearance process. When you get through the clearance process they call you and let you know the details of the he contact for the department you’re assigned too.

I had a few months wait due to a clerical error when I was assigned a role a few years ago and it was because reference checks had been marked completed but weren’t. It was a hold up but not the end of the world but only got realised because I rang for an update so I would suggest if you don’t hear anything in a week or two just check in with them.

Thanks. Think process is a little different for the longer clearance for AGS and Policing Authority though so my question was more specifically for that.

I got asked which of the plethora of sections would interest me and I responded with a couple that are up my street.

They then said that there's an opening in the ***** department. Internally I went, F%%k that. I think I visually said it as well with my eyes. Then the other option was in the *****. [*] Also F%%k that.

Why ask?

That's an infuriating start. Will be talk to my future line manager this week, so that should give me the indication of where I'm being thrown.

[*] once I know where I'm going I'll divulge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kazoo2001

Hi, Does anybody have an update on Mayo panel please?

Congrats to all starting their new jobs :)

Could anyone point me to the correct information for pension and other benefits for someone joining civil service for first time at EO level please?

Thanks very much. Yes my clearance included reference checks - they were completed quite early on in the process I think (week one or two of the eight weeks).
    Maybe it varies but they were always pretty clear with me which stage I was in. You could always ask them if your clearance is complete subject to references?

Em_Caramel wrote: »
    Excellent, delighted for you! I'm a couple of weeks behind you so I've my fingers crossed now it won't be too much longer.

Did you get any more details about your position or a start date?

Thanks! Fingers crossed you won't be waiting much longer. I'm expecting a call back to discuss the specifics early next week.

Could anyone point me to the correct information for pension and other benefits for someone joining civil service for first time at EO level please?

If you google EO Civil Service 2021- it should throw up Circulars etc for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

AntH971 wrote: »
    Trying to get up to speed on how things work, this is the first campaign I’ve applied to. I’m in batch 2 and accepted the offer of interest in an interview for a position in Dublin, but no clue when I’ll hear more about it. Scored well in my E-tray and I’m within the top numbers for my OOM, so I’m presuming soon? Since there was about a week between the release of the E-tray results and the accepting of interest in an interview email. Or am I naive and will I be waiting a year.....

It is not my first competition but I am in the same boat as you.

Given they wanted an answer by 7th May I hoped we would get a mail by last Friday. I believe the first batch were interviewed in groups of 25. I haven't heard of anyone getting an interview from our batch yet... I'm under 15 in the interdepartmental and under 60 on the open so hopefully hear something soon!

EDIT: Just got the email for interview next week....

• Advertisement

Anyone in Cork get one of the Interest in Interviewing emails yet ??

Advertisement