Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭divillybit

I applied for the EO competition out of curiosity as there's a few government office near where I live in my hometown and I completed the Etray 2 weeks back. I'm working in the private sector for almost 10 years now, have a level 9 science qualification.. Id have to take a 10k drop in pay to go in at the starting EO salary scale.. Im kinda OK with that if it meant I had a short commute to a local office if I was offered a role there... Just curious if anyone else from the private sector would be prepared to take a hefty pay cut if they were offered an EO role?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deise28

Did anyone feel the interview went terrible but actually passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Deise28 wrote: »

Yeah that was me last year... Try and hold off to see how the results go. I think the added factor of a zoom interview makes it very hard to judge how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

divillybit wrote: »
    I applied for the EO competition out of curiosity as there's a few government office near where I live in my hometown and I completed the Etray 2 weeks back. I'm working in the private sector for almost 10 years now, have a level 9 science qualification.. Id have to take a 10k drop in pay to go in at the starting EO salary scale.. Im kinda OK with that if it meant I had a short commute to a local office if I was offered a role there... Just curious if anyone else from the private sector would be prepared to take a hefty pay cut if they were offered an EO role?

I did. In fact I went in as a CO. The work life balance is completely different and progression is swift, at least in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

Short answer? Yes. I did it a few years ago, albeit to a CO level but it is the best decision I ever made. I've got actual work life balance now and have been assigned my EO role within my same department so I'm happy.

It wont be long for you to be able to apply for higher up roles that would have you on excellent payscales in the not so distant future. Guaranteed incremental increases annually have advantages and a short commute is the holy grail in my opinion. There is a lot to be said for permanent, pensionable roles that are secure. Given the mad world we live in now it is comforting to know my job is going nowhere.

Good luck with your decision

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Shinerwx

I'm doing this at the minute. Will be dropping approx 15k to take up an EO role but I'm cutting my commute in half and the work life balance is worth it as far as I'm concerned. I'm in a sales role at the minute and get commission/expenses on top of my basic pay but long term I don't want to be in the industry I'm in so the EO role came at a great time for me. I think lockdown showed us all what's important and money just isn't the be all and end all I once thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Em2157

Hey, is anyone still waiting for interview from batch 2.2? I'm just trying to ascertain when we will hear results?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

Dropping approx 18k here but my commute will go from almost 90 mins each way to 15 mins each way. Also working late and often weekends so a 9-5 would be worth it. I know of lots of others doing the same. Most people I know in the civil service are highly qualified and capable and taking the lower paid job for the same reason.

I had no idea how it went. I was a bag of nerves for the days after. Luckily I wasn't waiting long on my result but did A LOT better than I thought at the time.

I messed up in the 2018 competition so if it doesn't land for you this time, just take it as practice for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deise28

Skweefie wrote: »
    I had no idea how it went. I was a bag of nerves for the days after. Luckily I wasn't waiting long on my result but did A LOT better than I thought at the time.

I messed up in the 2018 competition so if it doesn't land for you this time, just take it as practice for the next time.

Thank you! Felt like a HEO interview and not an EO one so feel a bit deflated after it! But definitely practice for the next one

• Advertisement

Thank you! Felt like a HEO interview and not an EO one so feel a bit deflated after it! But definitely practice for the next one

I thought it was pretty tough too, so you aren't alone. Prepped for weeks, but you just don't know. They give nothing away. Hopefully we will hear soon and they take us out of our misery!

Anyone still waiting to be interviewed in batch 2.2?

The waiting is the worst part. They pulled apart my 'judgement and analysis' bit and I was convinced he wasn't happy with the responses but I scored quite high in that bit. You just really don't know and now it is just a matter of wait and see. Hopefully you get the results this week.

I really feel for you at this stage... and hopefully it lands for you

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Skweefie wrote: »
    Hopefully you get the results this week.

Hoping for Friday myself too. Very nervous about the results but not knowing is driving me mad.

My interview was almost two weeks ago. I’m 10X in OOM. I reckon they must be nearing the end of batch 2.2 in interviews or they’re finished and compiling results.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

I received an OOM in the 90's in the April etray and the notification told me that 0 to 90 were being interviewed first.
    Does anybody know if the 0 to 90 interviews have been completed yet or when they might move to the next sequence of OOM numbers - 91 onwards?

Cdub wrote: »
    I received an OOM in the 90's in the April etray and the notification told me that 0 to 90 were being interviewed first.
    Does anybody know if the 0 to 90 interviews have been completed yet or when they might move to the next sequence of OOM numbers - 91 onwards?

I’m 10X and was interviewed two weeks ago. They’ve got the 0-90 done and have moved on.

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    Hoping for Friday myself too. Very nervous about the results but not knowing is driving me mad.

My interview was almost two weeks ago. I’m 10X in OOM. I reckon they must be nearing the end of batch 2.2 in interviews or they’re finished and compiling results.

I'm not sure I can wait two weeks, it's the last hurdle though, just need to keep telling ourselves that!! Fingers crossed for all of us :)

Em2157 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I can wait two weeks, it's the last hurdle though, just need to keep telling ourselves that!! Fingers crossed for all of us :)

I hope everyone got on well. :) They seem to be moving through the Dublin panel quickly enough since they’ve called another batch to etray.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭AJMG

Anyone get a date for interview for Sligo yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

I’m 10X and was interviewed two weeks ago. They’ve got the 0-90 done and have moved on.

That is very concerning!
    Is there an email address that I can send a query too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Sixofone

I took a hefty pay cut. Totally worth it. The work life balance and ability to switch off is worth much more than money. If you are planning to stay in the CS as a career the salary gets a good bit better over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blondie007

Interviews are starting soon on the Cork panel(s)

Hello

Can I ask you where you are on the Cork panel please ? Are you Open or Interdepartmental? I'm in the late 30s on the Open stream so just wondering where they're at with Cork.

PAS told me yesterday they haven't called anyone from Cork yet. Fair enough- they may not have sent actual interview dates as yet. So I asked about how many they invited to express interest in interview-same answer.

Sometimes they give out confusing information.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Darren1881

Cdub wrote: »

It may be a case that they are doing both open and intra upto the 90's first. For example i was in the OOM 5X's and i just sat the interview on Monday. They may be completing the first leg of open and inter before they release the results. The waiting is too much

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Redsettee90

Anyone called for interview in Limerick or Tipperary?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Anyone called for interview in Limerick or Tipperary?

I am awaiting results of etray.....i did it a couple of weeks ago...did you get results of yours?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Darren1881 wrote: »
    The waiting is too much

Hopefully we’ll hear today. Another week of waiting would be brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 masterbenji08

I did my interview just over 2 weeks ago and got results this morning. Best of luck folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 amyrosewq

My OOM are high 2000s for the Open stream and low 1000s in the Interdepartmental stream, I've yet to get called up for the etray yet. Anyone close enough to these that have heard?

I got my results for Open comp Dublin interview this morning. Batch 2.2. Did far better than I thought, and passed! Good luck all :)

• Advertisement

Hopefully we’ll hear today. Another week of waiting would be brutal.

Did you hear too? How did you get on Aleece?

Advertisement