Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Em2157 wrote: »
    Hi all, so I have passed interview with OOM under 20 on Friday. My manager came to me today asking if I'd like to stay in the team as an EO just got promotion to HEO and there is an opening. I love my job now, so I'm so pleased. Does anyone know how this works? I know my AP is going to speak to HR now, but would I still have to go through Garda and ref checks or can they literally just change me from CO to EO if its approved?

Congrats, it's very straight forward and when they get to your position on the panel you will become an EO - happens very frequently that people are kept. A word of warning though, sometimes you don't make a clean break with your CO duties and team members may react differently to a promotion than to a new manager. It sounds as if there is a definite position you're moving so it should be okay but bear it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Skweefie

Keeks101 wrote: »
    Thanks so much I had such a panic there too! Thinking they would have my application that I can’t remember filling out haha. But that’s great at least I know I’m not going crazy now!

Does anybody have any tips on the interview? Is it much like the CO interviews but more in detail? And does it really go on for the full 40 minutes? That’s daunting for me!

For my interview it was extremely structured. 2 people asking questions and they stuck very definitely to the 4 competencies I mentioned. Just have really strong examples on each topic and be able to answer detailed questions about your role in each process.

I believe mine went for about 35 or 40 minutes but it went by very quickly. The CO interview was similar as far as I remember but not as detailed in the 'and what was your contribution to the project' type questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Robyn1991

I’ve been called for Garda vetting. Cannot for the life of me find my degree..... anyone else in the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

Robyn1991 wrote: »
    I’ve been called for Garda vetting. Cannot for the life of me find my degree..... anyone else in the situation?

You could get on to the university they may be able to give to a transcript of results, if PAS would accept that.

Or you could try St Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Em2157

Congrats, it's very straight forward and when they get to your position on the panel you will become an EO - happens very frequently that people are kept. A word of warning though, sometimes you don't make a clean break with your CO duties and team members may react differently to a promotion than to a new manager. It sounds as if there is a definite position you're moving so it should be okay but bear it in mind.
    Ah thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'm the only CO in my team currently as the other didn't pass probation. I will be replacing another girl on my team who is being promoted to HEO in the department. Im guessing when we get new CO's that one may report to me, but not sure yet. Do you know if they will need to do Garda vetting etc again? Or if I need to do anything like contacting PAS to inform them that my AP is putting things in motion to keep me? Sorry for all of the questions, just wondering how it all works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Ah thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I'm the only CO in my team currently as the other didn't pass probation. I will be replacing another girl on my team who is being promoted to HEO in the department. Im guessing when we get new CO's that one may report to me, but not sure yet. Do you know if they will need to do Garda vetting etc again? Or if I need to do anything like contacting PAS to inform them that my AP is putting things in motion to keep me? Sorry for all of the questions, just wondering how it all works!

You shouldn't need to do vetting again. AP should be contacting PAS. Very best of luck and congrats again!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Phone your student records department and request a .pdf of your transcripts to be emailed to you ASAP. I wouldn’t rely on the post to get a new parchment out to you within three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

Any regional candidates interviewing at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭morrism

EO2019 wrote: »
    Any regional candidates interviewing at the moment?

I have an interview for Sligo next week.

Submitted my documents for clearance just there yesterday. When does the link for Garda vetting generally come through?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Email PAS about your wish to stay within your current Dept. At the end of the day, it's up to PAS where you get placed.

gestappo wrote: »
    Email PAS about your wish to stay within your current Dept. At the end of the day, it's up to PAS where you get placed.

My HR department handled the PAS communication and advised them that they were keeping me. If your own department want to keep you, PAS can't over-ride it. Sounds like the OP has it under control with liaising with their own AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LISAMC38

Hi, could anyone recommend an interview course that solely concentrates on competency interviews? I have printed out the Executive Officer Competency Diagram and have prepared examples using the STAR method but I'm not sure if they are strong enough or not the answer they are looking for? I have had a couple of competency interviews in the private sector over the last six months and I don't seem to score well on them eventhough I'm trying my best!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

Does anyone know what OOM they have reached for interview in Dublin? I'm approx mid 200s and trying to figure out how soon I'll be called. I only recently started a as a CO

Skweefie wrote: »
    My HR department handled the PAS communication and advised them that they were keeping me. If your own department want to keep you, PAS can't over-ride it. Sounds like the OP has it under control with liaising with their own AP.

PAS can very much override it, and I've witnessed it being done before to EOs and HEOs in my current and previous department.

Does anyone know what OOM they have reached for interview in Dublin? I'm approx mid 200s and trying to figure out how soon I'll be called. I only recently started a as a CO

I was in the last batch of interviews for Dublin (2.2) and my interview was 2 weeks ago. I was OOM 14X.

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    Submitted my documents for clearance just there yesterday. When does the link for Garda vetting generally come through?

I got mine today. I also submitted yesterday

PAS can very much override it, and I've witnessed it being done before to EOs and HEOs in my current and previous department.

I've only ever witnessed it the other way so I can't account for your anecdotal evidence. If HR department have a position, and you are on a panel, and they want to give you that position, I don't see why they would want to interfere with it to be fair.

I got mine today. I also submitted yesterday

Got mine this afternoon and did it there. One of my references let me know they were contacted today. They’re moving quick enough.

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    Got mine this afternoon and did it there. One of my references let me know they were contacted today. They’re moving quick enough.

That was quick. I haven’t heard from my references. I’m still waiting for my degree parchment from my university. Hoping thy doesn’t slow the process down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 masterbenji08

This is true. I've asked my HR to try and retain me and they said to get my AP involved but they can't guarantee anything because PAS can push back on it and because I'm high up on the OOM, I may be already assigned to a new dept and there is nothing they can do at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭T900i

I know I’ve seen it on here but I can no longer find it (apologies)
    In relation to the pdf application form (which I’m sourcing from PAS) did we NOT fill in competencies on that application form.
    This is what I’m really seeking mine for to be honest.
    Someone kindly listed the interview competencies previously could you repost them please.
    I’d like to start preparing in case

This is true. I've asked my HR to try and retain me and they said to get my AP involved but they can't guarantee anything because PAS can push back on it and because I'm high up on the OOM, I may be already assigned to a new dept and there is nothing they can do at that stage.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I didn't have the same experience when I requested a stay. However, when I got the order of merit I mailed HR within 5 minutes so maybe I just acted quickly. I would have thought if your current dept wanted to keep you, they would.

T900i wrote: »
    In relation to the pdf application form (which I’m sourcing from PAS) did we NOT fill in competencies on that application form.
    Someone kindly listed the interview competencies previously could you repost them please.

Team leadership

Management and delivery of results
    Judgement, analysis and decision making

Drive and commitment to public service values

I'm sorry this happened to you. I didn't have the same experience when I requested a stay. However, when I got the order of merit I mailed HR within 5 minutes so maybe I just acted quickly. I would have thought if your current dept wanted to keep you, they would.

I've been lined up as my old managers successor for months so they have been aware. Not sure what is going on to be honest. I can only wait and see what happens.

I've been lined up as my old managers successor for months so they have been aware. Not sure what is going on to be honest. I can only wait and see what happens.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. That is very frustrating. Hope it comes though for you.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. That is very frustrating. Hope it comes though for you.

It is extremely frustrating not knowing what is going on! Thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

T900i wrote: »

We didn't fill in competencies for this competition but you may have for another competition
    You can get the competencies on PAS website or just Google them
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.publicjobs.ie/documents/EOInformationBooklet2020.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiP5cT9w8HxAhXLUMAKHQsfDegQFjACegQIBxAC&usg=AOvVaw3aRk5aPHzVbaFHe3RP256z

I've only ever witnessed it the other way so I can't account for your anecdotal evidence. If HR department have a position, and you are on a panel, and they want to give you that position, I don't see why they would want to interfere with it to be fair.

No need to be so snide.

This is fact.

I was in the first batch of this competition and I was kept in my current dept (if you look back on previous pages on this thread), but it was not as straightforward as you suggest. This is not 'anecdotal'.

• Advertisement

No need to be so snide.

This is fact.

I was in the first batch of this competition and I was kept in my current dept (if you look back on previous pages on this thread), but it was not as straightforward as you suggest. This is not 'anecdotal'.

I wasn't at all being snide!! My apologies if it came across that way! I have seen your posts throughout this thread I was just offering my opinion. Your comment was anecdotal though. I was offering my anecdotal response too!

Edit: I was offering my story about how simple it was for me. I was engaging in a discussion, or so I thought. I have never seen happen what you have described, your experience is just that, an experience! Seriously, didn't meant to come across as anything other than that. People come here to get people's feedback on the experience. You gave yours and I gave mine. I don't see why you are coming at me this way to be honest.

Advertisement