Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Poppy2019 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I didn’t receive email or text with practice info etc. I wonder does that mean I haven’t got through to first stage? Anyone know?

Everyone gets to stage 1. That form you filled out won't even be read until your interview, you could have left it blank and would still be called to stage 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cvb03

The EO 2020 familiarisation material does not seem to say anything about numerical reasoning? Does the numerical reasoning definitely not count towards your order of merit? I really hope it doesn't as its not my strongest point.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

cvb03 wrote: »
    The EO 2020 familiarisation material does not seem to say anything about numerical reasoning? Does the numerical reasoning definitely not count towards your order of merit? I really hope it doesn't as its not my strongest point.

The familiarization material states that numerical reasoning will be part of Stage 1 (b) so isnt discussed in this pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Poppy2019

Got mine, all good!

Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Carmol123

Bring the laptop.

I received the email to do the online assessment while I was overseas 2 years ago on holidays.
    It rained that day... So I found a library and using Google Translate I did the test... fast forward ..

I'm an EO in a fantastic area of Civil Service.

I have received a promotion and 2 pay increments.
    I have had the opportunity to study and sit 2 lots of professional exams due to amazing educational opportunities.
    I have done countless workshops on improving skills to be the best I can possibly be in my role.

I can safely say I will be a Civil Servant for as long as I am welcome and needed in my employment.
    It was the best decision I have ever made.

Hi can you give any advice on completing the questionnaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Its a pity the familiarisation material doesnt tell you which answers are the desired answers.... you know, just so you know which way you should answer them. Especially the work situation ones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Infotel

Does anyone know of a forum or even a company who provide advice/training on the assessments/familiarisation test. I’m constantly questioning myself and my answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DCG27

Does anyone have a copy of the information booklet? Not the pre test information emailed the other day but the one that available in the application stage.

DCG27 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a copy of the information booklet? Not the pre test information emailed the other day but the one that available in the application stage.

It’s in one of the comments here, scroll back and have a look

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Quite concerned about the numerical reasoning. Last time I applied in 2018, I did a lot of practice and research on Youtube. It was my undoing. I'm not hopeful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

On hols with limited wifi so havent looked at the assessment. Is it one you can open and do a number of times? When do we get the real one? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 angeb

I'm currently a CO working in recruitment. Just a heads up imo would be to read the booklet and know it inside out. You'd be surprised how many people don't follow the basic rules ie word count etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sandydee12

Hey can someone post the booklet if they have it? I had it saved as a link when I should have downloaded it and the link has expired since they took the post off public jobs🙈. Would really appreciate it if someone could post it if ye have it? TIA

Sandydee12 wrote: »
    Hey can someone post the booklet if they have it? I had it saved as a link when I should have downloaded it and the link has expired since they took the post off public jobs��. Would really appreciate it if someone could post it if ye have it? TIA

It’s already been posted if you look back through the posts

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

gestappo wrote: »
    It’s already been posted if you look back through the posts

Mike Foxtrot is a good resource for someone to post links. Search for his posts in the thread:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sandydee12

Rikand wrote: »
    Mike Foxtrot is a good resource for someone to post links. Search for his posts in the thread:)

Thank you that saved me so much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

Quite concerned about the numerical reasoning. Last time I applied in 2018, I did a lot of practice and research on Youtube. It was my undoing. I'm not hopeful.

My two cents on this.

1. When it comes to numerical anyway - you will see a lot of questions to do with FRACTIONS, PERCENTAGES, RATIOS and READING GRAPHS. I've found it useful to know what percentages certain fractions represent - like a 5th being 20%, an 8th being 12.5% etc. The only way to get a handle on this stuff is to practice and practice and practice some more unfortunately.

2. I tend to read the question first so I know what I'm looking for in the data.

3. A question or two will be very difficult/complicated, they're designed to trip you up. Be prepared to let them go - answer I don't know or take a rough potshot and move on before wasting time on them.

4. Do the practice tests on publicjobs.ie - being familiar with test environment, the font, the layout, where the buttons are etc counts for ALOT in the real test.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Sandydee12 wrote: »
    Thank you that saved me so much time.

Hi Sandydee
    Did you manage to find it - if so can you please repost it.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

Hi Sandydee
    Thank you

If you go out of the thread there is a paper clip click on that and it brings you to the attachments in the thread.. I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Hi Sandydee
    Thank you

Its attached to post #414 on page 28. Alternatively you can "Search the Thread" for Information Booklet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Its attached to post #414 on page 28. Alternatively you can "Search the Thread" for Information Booklet

Hi Mike

Thanks a million - I have it download.

A lesson well learnt!!!
    Thanks again!
    Dublintigger

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

Anyone receive the link for stage 1a yet? Last notice issued by PAS said of its. It received by 5pm Monday 17th to email. They also noted that due to the large volume of candidates that the link will be emailed in batches over a number of hours. It’s just over 3 hrs from the deadline for receipt of link so wondering if they’ve started sending out emails yet

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

natc wrote: »
    Anyone receive the link for stage 1a yet? Last notice issued by PAS said of its. It received by 5pm Monday 17th to email. They also noted that due to the large volume of candidates that the link will be emailed in batches over a number of hours. It’s just over 3 hrs from the deadline for receipt of link so wondering if they’ve started sending out emails yet

Was just coming to ask the same thing. I checked my PublicJobs account a minute ago and there's still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭McSween

Is this competition likely to be for Department of Social Protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

McSween wrote: »
    Is this competition likely to be for Department of Social Protection?

All departments. Less so Revenue as I believe they have their own competitions. Department of Social Protection is a big one though and I've heard they're short on staff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Was just coming to ask the same thing. I checked my PublicJobs account a minute ago and there's still nothing.

Yea still nothing for me either

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭miccy203

Nothing for me either 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

They say by 5pm but dont be surprised if you receive at 5.30 or 6 - you have about a week to complete it so they aren't going to be in a mad rush.

I’d say we’ll start receiving them from 4pm onwards..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭La Bamba

Am I right in saying that 1a is not a time sensitive task? Maybe I missed it but I cant seem to find any info to say it is?

Advertisement