Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

jaqqq wrote: »
    Got my link today and was going through the familiarisation material just there. I did this similar type of assessment for the Clerical Officer recruitment earlier in the year and didn't do too well so just wondering if anyone on here is aware of how to answer 'well' in these type of aptitude assessments?

For example, when they are asking you to respond on whether you are ambitious or punctual, is it 'better' to maybe rank yourself in the middle of the scale for some of these type of questions instead of saying you're great at all of these things?

Also, on the scenario questions, am I correct in understanding that in each scenario we can give more than one of the same descriptions to each scenario. For example, if you feel there are two 'bad responses' in the one scenario, it is ok to mark both as bad? Its not a case that we need to rank each option from excellent to bad?

I am guessing that the general idea one must have for these scenarios is that you must pick what is the best course of action for working at this level, i.e. if the scenario describes something you feel should be dealt with by a superior, then selecting that option is the 'correct' answer?

Any other tips for this would be really appreciated, especially on the questions where you must describe your own personality. I'm just wary from my last experience that answering these things can go pear-shaped without you really knowing what they are looking for.

Dont overthink it

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Infotel

Hello, sorry to ask again but I was just wondering if anyone knows of a website/forum/tutor that would help with the testing e.g mock tests with the answer explained ?? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Best of luck everyone with the competition. I am looking at the practical tests at http://www.quickstart360.co.uk/runtesteo.aspx and can't see the option to review my incorrect answers, does anyone know where I can see this please. I have a lot of management experience but scored in the lower band for the answers so really need to see where I am going wrong. Would really appreciate any other tips or tricks on the Executive Competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 qrc2020

Cqkylie wrote: »
    Yup I am :)
    Anyone know how many are on the EO Irish Panel for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Is it a situation where, if you get the job, you know what department you're assigned to in advance of accepting the offer or is this only shared after acceptance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

AngryLips wrote: »
    Is it a situation where, if you get the job, you know what department you're assigned to in advance of accepting the offer or is this only shared after acceptance?

AFAIK you're told after acceptance, in many counties you can probably make a fair guess where you'll be going. Obviously that's different in Dublin and some other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

AngryLips wrote: »

You’ll be emailed an assignment and then it’s up to you whether you want to accept. If you don’t accept it, you’re removed from the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭greengrass88

Can anyone wager a guess as to what the timelines for this competition might be like? When the next stages could be and when successful applicants might start to get called from the panel to their new roles? TIA

Can anyone wager a guess as to what the timelines for this competition might be like? When the next stages could be and when successful applicants might start to get called from the panel to their new roles? TIA

In the initial information booklet, they stated the first batch will be assigned and in their departments by November. Anything after that is up in the air, especially with stricter restrictions coming soon.

So those of you who completed the online test, how do you think it went?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 qrc2020

Do you have any idea how the Irish panel will work. how many are on it etc Will Departments have to specify an Irish EO or will the Irish EOs be assigned as EO vacancies come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭AlohaLights

gestappo wrote: »
    So those of you who completed the online test, how do you think it went?

It was fine, seemed pretty straight forward. It's always hard to know what algorithm they are using for scoring, but I just took the approach of what my reality is in a work scenario and answered the questions accordingly.

I finished it in under 20 minutes, I always find it better to just get through these questionnaires as you could drive yourself crazy looking for the right answer, and these assessments aren't designed to have an obvious correct/incorrect response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 delishdoughnut

Do you have to pass stage 1a to get to 1b ie the numerical does anyone know?

Yes of course. If you don’t pass any stage then you’re removed from the competition.

It was fine, seemed pretty straight forward. It's always hard to know what algorithm they are using for scoring, but I just took the approach of what my reality is in a work scenario and answered the questions accordingly.

I finished it in under 20 minutes, I always find it better to just get through these questionnaires as you could drive yourself crazy looking for the right answer, and these assessments aren't designed to have an obvious correct/incorrect response.

It states it should take around 60 mins on the information so I got worried when I finished mine in 15!! I just went with my gut, and now of course I’m second guessing everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

No you have to complete stage 1a to get to 1b.

I presume it won't be known if you have passed 1a at that stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Could be anything upto the expiration of the panel. A year or so is not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

jules86 wrote: »
    No you have to complete stage 1a to get to 1b.

I presume it won't be known if you have passed 1a at that stage

Not sure anyone 'fails' this part. You just get an order of merit. They recruited at least into the 2000s off the 2018 panel for Dublin. Not to say everyone was successful at the latter stages.

Going by previous competitions, if you do not pass stage 1a then you cannot progress to stage 1b. You’re given your OOM after stage 1a but you’re also given your pass rate and pass score too.

Not sure anyone 'fails' this part. You just get an order of merit. They recruited at least into the 2000s off the 2018 panel for Dublin. Not to say everyone was successful at the latter stages.

Oh believe me, people definitely do fail this test!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

I'm sure I read in the message yesterday or the familiarisation material that the next stage will be September.
    They also stated somewhere that the first appointmentw would be to start in November

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

Done good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

gestappo wrote: »
    Going by previous competitions, if you do not pass stage 1a then you cannot progress to stage 1b. You’re given your OOM after stage 1a but you’re also given your pass rate and pass score too.

As per the familiarisation info sent on 14/08/20 -

As indicated earlier, Stage 1(a) of the selection process comprises an Assessment Questionnaire. Candidates who complete Stage 1(a) will be invited to complete Stage 1(b) in September. Stage 1(b) will consist of Verbal and Numerical assessments.
    The combined results of these three assessments will form your Stage 1 results which will be issued at a later stage. Candidates must reach the qualifying standard in all three assessments in order to be considered for the next stage of the selection process.
    Those who achieve the required standard will be ranked accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ruanoc

qrc2020 wrote: »
    Anyone know how many are on the EO Irish Panel for Dublin?

Where did you place nationally and did you only chose Dublin? It’s hard to find any info or get feedback on this panel. I placed 14th nationally and then they asked to chose location and I put Galway so no idea where I stand in regards Galway panel or how many vacancies there are....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ruanoc

Cqkylie wrote: »
    Yup I am :)

Where did you place nationally and What counties did you choose? It’s hard to find any info or get feedback on this panel. I placed 14th nationally and then they asked to chose location and I put Galway so no idea where I stand in regards Galway panel or how many vacancies there are....

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

Just finished it there, I don't think it's possible to fail this as it's a situational/personality test. I suspect they want a specific personality/profile person for the role.

Which also means there are no 'wrong' answers - you can lie and choose a different answer but its in both your and the employer's best interest but you will be in a role that suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mrnew

barryribs wrote: »
    Just finished it there, I don't think it's possible to fail this as it's a situational/personality test. I suspect they want a specific personality/profile person for the role.

Which also means there are no 'wrong' answers - you can lie and choose a different answer but its in both your and the employer's best interest but you will be in a role that suits you.

Last EO competition people failed this part of the process if you didn't get a score of above 360 or 370 but the average score was 500.

It could have changed this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

barryribs wrote: »

In the practice tests someone posted before, the situational questions did seem to have a banding associated with desirable and undesirable answers. I can't for the life of me understand the logic behind it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

i completed it will await the results. Does anyone know when they will be released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Em2157

As stated before, in the familiarisation booklet sent last week it says all those who complete 1a (personality and situational judgement) will be invited to 1b (numerical and verbal) in September, and we will receive an OOM after that. If it's like previous competitions, you have to pass numerical and score as highly as possible in situational judgement and verbal reasoning to get through and get a good OOM. The better the OOM (and depending on county chosen) will determine how quickly you are called to interview.
    I'm a current CO, and answered the questions truthfully and to my personality. I read all of them thoroughly and took the full hour. It's different for everyone I guess :)
    Good luck to all!

Advertisement