Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Em2157

i completed it will await the results. Does anyone know when they will be released?

I would imagine we wont get results until the other 2 tests are completed in September, then our scores will be collated and OOM's determined. But I'm just speculating. We could get separate scores for this test after the testing window is closed.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Just completed the questionnaire there and its impossible not to overthink each question especially the last section

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

Ruanoc wrote: »
    Where did you place nationally and What counties did you choose? It’s hard to find any info or get feedback on this panel. I placed 14th nationally and then they asked to chose location and I put Galway so no idea where I stand in regards Galway panel or how many vacancies there are....

Email public jobs and ask exactly where you are for Galway. They'll tell you your placing

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ruanoc

Email public jobs and ask exactly where you are for Galway. They'll tell you your placing

I emailed them there last week and haven’t heard back. 🀷*♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

Not sure anyone 'fails' this part. You just get an order of merit. They recruited at least into the 2000s off the 2018 panel for Dublin. Not to say everyone was successful at the latter stages.

People do 'fail' this part.

There is a pass mark. If you score below pass mark you 'fail'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 lockyjpl

In the information booklet there is a paragraph underneath the payscale IRT service increments:
    'Long service increments may be payable after 3(LSI-1) and 6(LSI-2) years satisfactory service at the maximum of the scale.'
    Can anyone confirm if this is IRT people who may have previous service in the Public / Civil service, e.g. if you had 15-20 years previous service?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GMurdoch

Hi,
    Just going through the familiarisation doc and would lie to know what way people would rate the actions on scenario please??? I don't think any are particularly good responses.
    You overhear a colleague, Terry, complaining that his manager never listens to him. You know his manager and are aware that she is an excellent manager who cares about the views of all of her staff.

Ask Terry if he would like you to talk to his manager about it.

Select
    b. Tell Terry that his manager probably does listen but that he may not always appreciate that that is the case.

Select
    c. Tell the manager what you heard but do not inform Terry.

Select
    d. Do nothing..

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

lockyjpl wrote: »
    In the information booklet there is a paragraph underneath the payscale IRT service increments:
    'Long service increments may be payable after 3(LSI-1) and 6(LSI-2) years satisfactory service at the maximum of the scale.'
    Can anyone confirm if this is IRT people who may have previous service in the Public / Civil service, e.g. if you had 15-20 years previous service?
    Cheers

All appointments are initially made at point 1.

A person with previous service can apply for Incremental credit but AFAIK thats up to the max of the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

GMurdoch wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just going through the familiarisation doc and would lie to know what way people would rate the actions on scenario please??? I don't think any are particularly good responses.
    You overhear a colleague, Terry, complaining that his manager never listens to him. You know his manager and are aware that she is an excellent manager who cares about the views of all of her staff.

Select
    b. Tell Terry that his manager probably does listen but that he may not always appreciate that that is the case.

Select

Select
    d. Do nothing..

I suspect that the criteria is aimed at maintaining a certain culture in the public service. They seem to value rules over initiative, and consultation over action.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭BJG524

People looking for tuition even though they are competing versus everyone else on the thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

Done and dusted.
    Goodluck to all.

BJG524 wrote: »
    People looking for tuition even though they are competing versus everyone else on the thread...

If your referring to my post I don't believe I'm the first person to look for guidance on the questions. All the best to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Hi,

Select

Select

Select
    d. Do nothing..

If there are no good responses then mark them all as poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Hi,

Select

Select

Select
    d. Do nothing..

Select
    e. Go on an internet forum and ask for the answers......

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Select
    e. Go on an internet forum and ask for the answers......

Ok I get it! I'll paddle my own canoe. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭furrybones

Ok I get it! I'll paddle my own canoe. Thanks

If you search on the 2018 campaign thread there was a discussion around this question then too. I can't say it will be any help to you as there were many different views on what was a good or bad response, but it was an interesting read nonetheless.

Good luck in the assessment.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Dept. Social Protection has a lot of 'customer' facing roles.

So does Revenue. I was an EO in an Audit\Compliance area in Revenue and I dealt with the public all day everyday. You're constantly in contact with businesses, individual taxpayers, accountants and financial controllers, asking questions and requesting info that in some cases they obviously don't want to hand over, it's like pulling teeth. In DEASP they're generally handing out money, in an organisation like Revenue, where you're tasked with taking money off people, wait til you see how happy taxpayers\customers are to be dealing with you....

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Hi,

Select

Select

Select
    d. Do nothing..

I would probably say:

a) is Good response because it opens a discussion to try resolve the situation ,

b) is Adequate response as your give a perspective without getting too involved,

c) is Bad response as it is likely to damage the his relationship with the manager rather than resolve anything (making the situation worst)

d) is Weak response as your avoiding the conflict and not actually trying to resolve the situation

That is of course my opinion, I don't know if they are the right answers and others may disagree but that would be my rationale. This is a sample question so its fine but its probably best not to post other scenario from the questionnaire.

furrybones wrote: »
    If you search on the 2018 campaign thread there was a discussion around this question then too. I can't say it will be any help to you as there were many different views on what was a good or bad response, but it was an interesting read nonetheless.

Good luck in the assessment.
    Thanks for that. Best of luck to you too.

I would probably say:

a) is Good response because it opens a discussion to try resolve the situation ,

b) is Adequate response as your give a perspective without getting too involved,

c) is Bad response as it is likely to damage the his relationship with the manager rather than resolve anything (making the situation worst)

d) is Weak response as your avoiding the conflict and not actually trying to resolve the situation

That is of course my opinion, I don't know if they are the right answers and others may disagree but that would be my rationale. This is a sample question so its fine but its probably best not to post other scenario from the questionnaire.

Thank you for your response, i very quickly made my mind up on each scenario and kind of panicked that I might be missing something. Just overthinking it. I will not be posting other questions, this was solely as it was a sample. I'm planning on completing assessment tomorrow evening and wish everyone best of luck in this campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BMHOPE

Thank you for your response, i very quickly made my mind up on each scenario and kind of panicked that I might be missing something. Just overthinking it. I will not be posting other questions, this was solely as it was a sample. I'm planning on completing assessment tomorrow evening and wish everyone best of luck in this campaign.

I would agree with mikefoxtrot, seems reasonable, do nothing is always the worst option as a supervisor, it invites discord in this scenario - going straight over the person's head is not being a team leader and getting the most out of the team. So that leaves the other two options as I see it. Its a matter of deciding which is best option . But good advice I think. Also as an EO , part of the role is to help your team in competitions, yes in essence they may be competing with you but it helps develop your skills and shows you have mentored staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Do nothing is an excellent response in this case. Firstly the colleague wasn't engaging you when making the complaint, and secondly nowhere does it say that this colleague reports into you. Effectively, you have nothing to do with the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

rostalof wrote: »
    So does Revenue. I was an EO in an Audit\Compliance area in Revenue and I dealt with the public all day everyday. You're constantly in contact with businesses, individual taxpayers, accountants and financial controllers, asking questions and requesting info that in some cases they obviously don't want to hand over, it's like pulling teeth. In DEASP they're generally handing out money, in an organisation like Revenue, where you're tasked with taking money off people, wait til you see how happy taxpayers\customers are to be dealing with you....

The issues arise when DEASP aren't handing out money.

The issues arise when DEASP aren't handing out money.

I'm well aware of that and I wouldn't like working in a public facing role in DEASP either for that reason. What I'm saying is, the majority of EO roles in Revenue present the same type of issues, plus the added bonus of being obliged to complete a two year diploma in taxation where you'll do a large part of your assignments and coursework in the evenings and over the weekends.

AngryLips wrote: »
    Do nothing is an excellent response in this case. Firstly the colleague wasn't engaging you when making the complaint, and secondly nowhere does it say that this colleague reports into you. Effectively, you have nothing to do with the situation.

I was thinking same!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I'm well aware of that and I wouldn't like working in a public facing role in DEASP either for that reason. What I'm saying is, the majority of EO roles in Revenue present the same type of issues, plus the added bonus of being obliged to complete a two year diploma in taxation where you'll do a large part of your assignments and coursework in the evenings and over the weekends.

Do you realise how lucky you are to get a job in Revenue?
    I have all my professional exams already and I would love to get in there.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Do you realise how lucky you are to get a job in Revenue?
    I have all my professional exams already and I would love to get in there.

How lucky I was? Are you for real? I've worked there, you haven't. I loved it so much I spent years trying to get out. Regardless of any professional exams you may have done, you'll be doing more. I presume you're speaking about the ACCA? Then you'll have to do the ITI course in Revenue.

Have you ever heard the term 'The far away hills are always greener'? I've known a good few qualified accountants that regretted the move to Revenue and found themselves stuck there. Then there are many who enjoyed it and if they're happy with their lot, fair play to them. The point I'm making is, there are two sides to every story.

How lucky I was? Are you for real? I've worked there, you haven't. I loved it so much I spent years trying to get out. Regardless of any professional exams you may have done, you'll be doing more. I presume you're speaking about the ACCA? Then you'll have to do the ITI course in Revenue.

Have you ever heard the term 'The far away hills are always greener'? I've known a good few qualified accountants that regretted the move to Revenue and found themselves stuck there. Then there are many who enjoyed it and if they're happy with their lot, fair play to them. The point I'm making is, there are two sides to every story.

This is what I'm afraid of. I'm pinning all my hopes on the faraway hills being greener. It's always good to get the other side of the story thanks rostalof. I'm sure it's like every workplace suits some and doesn't suit others.

I think the responses above to the sample question show how differently everyone looks at things. I don't think there is really any studying for that part of the competition so I just went through it and tried not to over think it too much.

• Advertisement

Anonire wrote: »
    This is what I'm afraid of. I'm pinning all my hopes on the faraway hills being greener. It's always good to get the other side of the story thanks rostalof. I'm sure it's like every workplace suits some and doesn't suit others.

Exactly, it's like every work place, a dream job for some, a means to an end for others and a nightmare for the rest. Don't let any of this put you off, you won't know til you try and once in the door, you can transfer to other departments if your first posting isn't for you. My advice to anybody who starts in the civil service is this, as soon as you start, add some mobility requests on the people point system. Then you'll move up the list gradually and after 2 years, if a place becomes available, you can move. You can also re apply to open competitions like this one at any stage, so you've nothing to lose!

Advertisement