Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

rostalof wrote: »
    Exactly, it's like every work place, a dream job for some, a means to an end for others and a nightmare for the rest. Don't let any of this put you off, you won't know til you try and once in the door, you can transfer to other departments if your first posting isn't for you. My advice to anybody who starts in the civil service is this, as soon as you start, add some mobility requests on the people point system. Then you'll move up the list gradually and after 2 years, if a place becomes available, you can move. You can also re apply to open competitions like this one at any stage, so you've nothing to lose!

I have ACCA and ITI...I appreciate your insight....you havent put me off!!!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Exactly, it's like every work place, a dream job for some, a means to an end for others and a nightmare for the rest. Don't let any of this put you off, you won't know til you try and once in the door, you can transfer to other departments if your first posting isn't for you. My advice to anybody who starts in the civil service is this, as soon as you start, add some mobility requests on the people point system. Then you'll move up the list gradually and after 2 years, if a place becomes available, you can move. You can also re apply to open competitions like this one at any stage, so you've nothing to lose!

Hi very good info . Would working for local authority have mobility access too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

I have ACCA and ITI...I appreciate your insight....you havent put me off!!!

I replied to Anonire about not being put off. You have your heart set on Revenue and the best of luck to you if you get a position there, you'll probably love it considering your background.

Daz_ wrote: »
    Hi very good info . Would working for local authority have mobility access too ?

Unfortunately no, the mobility scheme is currently only for civil servants. Local Authorities are Public Service.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Can you actually put in a mobility request before you've done your 2 years though? I'm currently a serving EO and would be interested to know this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

tgdaly wrote: »
    Can you actually put in a mobility request before you've done your 2 years though? I'm currently a serving EO and would be interested to know this

Yes but it's not considered until you've done your two years, but there is something about being further ahead in the queue or something.

Yes but it's not considered until you've done your two years, but there is something about being further ahead in the queue or something.

Thanks for this. Would you be contacted by your local HR if you put in a request or is there nothing said until people point reach you on the list after the 2 years or whatever? I'm nearly a year in my role but would it reflect badly on a new EO if they put in a request after just starting

Thanks for this. Would you be contacted by your local HR if you put in a request or is there nothing said until people point reach you on the list after the 2 years or whatever? I'm nearly a year in my role but would it reflect badly on a new EO if they put in a request after just starting

I think there's more people in my place with mobility transfers in than not! I, personally, don't think it reflects badly - even less so after a year.

From what I've seen you get the odd email update and the odd request to update things but other than that I think it just sits there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gillouise

Is there mobility for EO's? I've been told previously there isn't

I think there's more people in my place with mobility transfers in than not! I, personally, don't think it reflects badly - even less so after a year.

From what I've seen you get the odd email update and the odd request to update things but other than that I think it just sits there.

That's great thanks for that. I'm with you on that then certainly good advice for people to know.

It's also worth mentioning to people as well, if you are in a Department and like the location and Department itself but maybe not necessarily the role you are in, there is definitely scope for you to move to a different unit or section after 2 or 3 years. From my experience (only 2 different departments in fairness) it has been encouraged as well and they do look to move people around. So if you had in a mobility request as well but didn't necessarily want to move after the few years it's definitely something you could take up with HR as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

A few questions for any current or former EO's. Looking to get a feel of the general office structure within civil service roles.

Q. Would most EO's generally have between 1-5 Clerical Officer's reporting into them? Or could it be more than 5?

Q. Would EO's be giving them tasks to do and checking their work etc?

Q. Could you have no CO's reporting into you?

Q. Could you be the only EO, or would there generally be one or two others working on the same level as you?

Q. Would there be one HEO that you report into or could there be several?

I appreciate that it might depend on department, but just want to get a feel for how many people you might be responsible for.

It doesn't reflect on you badly for doing so or positively for not doing so for that matter. You can apply from day one, you just won't be eligible until two years in the same location, grade and department. As far as I know, local management don't have access to your mobility requests anyway.

Gillouise wrote: »

There most certainly is. But you have to be 2 years in the grade / department / location before you are eligible. As mentioned above though (which I wasn't aware of before today) you can put in a request at any time to have yourself on the list, you just won't be considered before 2 years

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    A few questions for any current or former EO's. Looking to get a feel of the general office structure within civil service roles.

Q. Would most EO's generally have between 1-5 Clerical Officer's reporting into them?

Some EOs have nobody reporting to them, some have an entire section. I'd say its more common in my department anyway, for EOs to have only a couple or so reports and even then more complex issues are handled by a HEO or AP.

Q. Could you have no CO's reporting into you? Would EO's be giving them tasks to do and checking their work etc?

Yes

Q. Could you be the only EO, or would there generally be one or two others working on the same level as you?

Most likely have a few EOs in a section, but not always

Could be a few HEOs under an AP or you could be reporting direct to an AP.

I appreciate that it might depend on department, but just want to get a feel for how many people you might be responsible for.

In bold above, but I only have direct experience of one department and indirect of one more.

Gillouise wrote: »

All details here,
    https://hr.per.gov.ie/career/civil-service-mobility/

There most certainly is. But you have to be 2 years in the grade / department / location before you are eligible. As mentioned above though (which I wasn't aware of before today) you can put in a request at any time to have yourself on the list, you just won't be considered before 2 years

So am I right in saying that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by submitting a mobility request from day 1 even if you have absolutely no intention of moving?
    At least after 2 years the option is there, just incase you have a change of heart

Q. Would most EO's generally have between 1-5 Clerical Officer's reporting into them? Or could it be more than 5?

Q. Would EO's be giving them tasks to do and checking their work etc?

Q. Could you have no CO's reporting into you?

1. Depends on department i think. From my experience 1 or 2 max but I've only been in 2 Departments

2. To a certain degree I would imagine but I've no experience of this

3. Absolutely. I don't have any COs reporting to me and many in my department don't. All depends on the role you are assigned

4. Again, all depends on the role assigned. Both are possible.

5. You will likely only be reporting to your HEO for most things, but again depending on your role you could be assigned work from another HEO / AO, or even your AP or PO from time to time so be prepared for that as well

So am I right in saying that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by submitting a mobility request from day 1 even if you have absolutely no intention of moving?
    At least after 2 years the option is there, just incase you have a change of heart

That would be my opinion on it yeah. As mentioned above from others it's not going to reflect on you positively or negatively, you're just giving yourself options

Would there be much reporting to AOs? Genuine question. Some of them can be pretty wet behind the ears :pac:

Not that I've much experience with them as traditionally my department doesn't really have them.

Would there be much reporting to AOs? Genuine question as some of them can be pretty wet behind the ears :pac:

In my first department as a CO I did a few things for an AO from time to time. I was reporting to my HEO and they were both working on 2 completely different things within the same unit, but the AP was happy enough for me to do stuff for him as well

Also as an EO you can be assigned to an AO instead of a HEO. Probably not as likely but it's possible. Doesn't really affect you individually a manager is a manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Just say your working as a EO in a department. Can you be redeployed to another EO role within the same department or location without going through all central requests ? Ie moving from one section to another within the same building, if a vacancy arose, do management have the discretion to transfer you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

For anyone that has completed the numeric test, is the actual quiz the same as the practice, in that you will be working with the same 5 or 6 tables or graphs for all questions?

barryribs wrote: »
    For anyone that has completed the numeric test, is the actual quiz the same as the practice, in that you will be working with the same 5 or 6 tables or graphs for all questions?

Yes. The datasets you're working on repeat. Cherry pick your questions.

Just say your working as a EO in a department. Can you be redeployed to another EO role within the same department or location without going through all central requests ? Ie moving from one section to another within the same building, if a vacancy arose, do management have the discretion to transfer you ?

I'm open to correction on this but I believe you can be redeployed within 45KM of your current location/home which ever is shorter.

https://hr.per.gov.ie/career/civil-service-mobility/redeployment/

barryribs wrote: »

From previous experience I find the real test slightly tougher than the practice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Got middle range in the Job Simulation sample test...oh well. Hard to know what they want.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process/test-advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Got middle range in the Job Simulation sample test...oh well. Hard to know what they want.

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/information-hub/our-recruitment-process/test-advice

The questions in the actual test weren't in the same format and felt easier, in the sense that it seemed clearer which answers were right and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

Would there be much reporting to AOs? Genuine question. Some of them can be pretty wet behind the ears :pac:

Not that I've much experience with them as traditionally my department doesn't really have them.

In my place, there’s at least one AO with 3 EOs reporting to her, each EO has 3 COs reporting to them. She’s basically in a HEO role.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

Some COs that started with me were told to apply for mobility on our first day to try to get placed in their home counties

Obviously they aren’t eligible until they have completed two years service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Blueskies2019

I think there is nothing to loose by putting in a request. Just because you are eligible after 2 years it doesn’t mean there will be a transfer available! You are in a queue system and could be waiting years for a move.

Advertisement