Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

I think there is nothing to loose by putting in a request. Just because you are eligible after 2 years it doesn’t mean there will be a transfer available! You are in a queue system and could be waiting years for a move.

For EO from 2021 1/8 of places are available for mobility, if you were 10th on mobility 80 places would need to become available till it reached your turn. So most will be waiting alot longer than 2 years given the transfer lists

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Just say your working as a EO in a department. Can you be redeployed to another EO role within the same department or location without going through all central requests ? Ie moving from one section to another within the same building, if a vacancy arose, do management have the discretion to transfer you ?

Apples and oranges.

Redeployed is a HR decision, transfer is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

doc22 wrote: »
    For EO from 2021 1/8 of places are available for mobility, if you were 10th on mobility 80 places would need to become available till it reached your turn. So most will be waiting alot longer than 2 years given the transfer lists

This is partially true. 1/8th of places will indeed be filled by mobility and the balance from interdepartmental, open and internal competitions. But, as is outlined in one of the mobility info pages, people at number 35 or 36 on the list have been offered moves. This happens when people ahead of you turn down an offer, have put their mobility request on hold, or they aren't eligible due to a recent move for example. You can apply for moves to different zones. If you are offered and take a move to zone 1 for example, then you are ineligible to move to zone 2 for at least 2 years. So you could be number 1 for zone 2 but any positions that arise there during those 2 years will be offered to people below you on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

rostalof wrote: »
    This is partially true. 1/8th of places will indeed be filled by mobility and the balance from interdepartmental, open and internal competitions. But, as is outlined in one of the mobility info pages, people at number 35 or 36 on the list have been offered moves. This happens when people ahead of you turn down an offer, have put their mobility request on hold, or they aren't eligible due to a recent move for example. You can apply for moves to different zones. If you are offered and take a move to zone 1 for example, then you are ineligible to move to zone 2 for at least 2 years. So you could be number 1 for zone 2 but any positions that arise there during those 2 years will be offered to people below you on the list.

That's prob clerical officers were its 50/50. It wouldn't be unheard that a list like that would move fast like open panel. That 35 more then likely Dublin. EO post are a difference kettle of fish in regions.

For example do you see your mobility number move much? and much of that movement is those below getting promotions to HEO

On Revenue

Was there much pressure in revenue to hit targets

Was it teams of auditors or down to the individual

I would have taken that the training would be easy enough and cases would be taken with a more experience auditor

I hopeful of getting a place there but now I have my doubts, maybe should stay were I am?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Can anyone who has done the tests help me please? Are the tests like the clerical officer tests on the public jobs site? These tests are verbal interpretation, numerical interpretation, checking test and categorising information.

If not does anyone have any suggestions about what tests would be good to practice on. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 EricShaw

Can anyone who has done the tests help me please? Are the tests like the clerical officer tests on the public jobs site? These tests are verbal interpretation, numerical interpretation, checking test and categorising information.

If not does anyone have any suggestions about what tests would be good to practice on. Thanks.

From what I understood, the Assessment Questionnaire is more personality and job scenarios, while the verbal and numerical tests are done later on. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

There are verbal, numerical and job simulation practice tests published by publicjobs.ie - http://www.quickstart360.co.uk/runtesteo.aspx
    I'd start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The test available now consists of statements like, ambitious, stickler for rules, intuitive etc and you mark the very, somewhat, not very or not at all like me, or cannot say check boxes. Secondly you are given a work scenario and four different solutions, you chose if the options are excellent, good, adequate, poor or unacceptable responses to the scenario.
    Read the job description and match the boxes to the description of the ideal candidate and that should get you through.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

flazio wrote: »
    The test available now consists of statements like, ambitious, stickler for rules, intuitive etc and you mark the very, somewhat, not very or not at all like me, or cannot say check boxes. Secondly you are given a work scenario and four different solutions, you chose if the options are excellent, good, adequate, poor or unacceptable responses to the scenario.
    Read the job description and match the boxes to the description of the ideal candidate and that should get you through.

I noticed that. You would assume “ambitious” would almost always be a good trait. I could be wrong but if you said anything other than “very like me” it wouldn’t sound too great?

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Moving on now to the next stage of the competition. I thought I read somewhere that you only need to PASS the Numerical test & all depends on how you score in the Verbal reasoning & Job simulation but I cannot find where I read this & am open to correction! There is a lot of questions in each of those sections & it is a timed test. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

hillbloom wrote: »
    Moving on now to the next stage of the competition. I thought I read somewhere that you only need to PASS the Numerical test & all depends on how you score in the Verbal reasoning & Job simulation but I cannot find where I read this & am open to correction! There is a lot of questions in each of those sections & it is a timed test. Any advice would be appreciated.

I think it was said by a previous poster in this thread some pages back. However, the format of the test this year seems quite different from the practice tests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Govannan

splashuum wrote: »
    I noticed that. You would assume “ambitious” would almost always be a good trait. I could be wrong but if you said anything other than “very like me” it wouldn’t sound too great?

You'd think so, but who knows? I answered "Quite like me", as I'm ambitious as far as doing my work well and wanting to be recognized for good work, but I don't particularly have a massive urge to "climb the ladder" or always push to be in a more prestigious position. Again, you're not really supposed to answer how you think they want you to answer, just answer honestly.

I'd be interested to know how many "Can't say" and "I have no experience" answers people gave. I did one of each I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Just finished it. Hard to know how well I did. Section A and B was fine that's mainly going on your personality and competencies. But section C the scenarios was a bit more awkward started questioning myself. The annoying thing is I probably couldnt remember one of the questions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Anyone know the time frame for completing the rest of the online section ie numerical etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mngc94

qrc2020 wrote: »
    Do you have any idea how the Irish panel will work. how many are on it etc Will Departments have to specify an Irish EO or will the Irish EOs be assigned as EO vacancies come up?
    I emailed today enquiring about this and got this response:

'This panel is specifically for Irish speaking roles. General EO vacancies are not allocated from this panel.

Departments will only submit requests if they are seeking to fill an Irish speaking position.'

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Anyone know the time frame for completing the rest of the online section ie numerical etc ?[/QU Anyone know are the Numerical, Verbal Reasoning & Job Simulation Tests done on-line unsupervised or has one to attend a supervised centre. There doesn't seem to be any information in the Manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

hillbloom wrote: »
    Anyone know the time frame for completing the rest of the online section ie numerical etc ?
    Anyone know are the Numerical, Verbal Reasoning & Job Simulation Tests done on-line unsupervised or has one to attend a supervised centre. There doesn't seem to be any information in the Manual.

wait and see how the results of this one go first :D

I just want to know what happens next (and when) already

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

is there anywhere you can the answers to the practice questions regarding situational judgement, sorry if this has been asked before, just want to know where i am going wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

AngryLips wrote: »

Patience is most decidedly a virtue when it comes to Public Appointments I'm afraid - the 2016 EO competition took three YEARS to pan out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ruanoc

mngc94 wrote: »
    I emailed today enquiring about this and got this response:

'This panel is specifically for Irish speaking roles. General EO vacancies are not allocated from this panel.

Departments will only submit requests if they are seeking to fill an Irish speaking position.'

Apparently the panel is moving this week. What location did you put down for Irish EO competition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mngc94

Ruanoc wrote: »
    Apparently the panel is moving this week. What location did you put down for Irish EO competition?

Really? I wasn’t sure how fast this would move considering it’s specific to Irish speaking vacancies what demand there would be. Fingers crossed then there will be a good few!

I have Donegal and Dublin down. What about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

Just finished the assessment. Tough going. I probably spent too much time on it, it took longer than an hour!!!!

So does anyone know do we the actual results of this test? I presume there is a pass rate and that not everyone gets to the next stage?

Good luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Just finished the assessment. Tough going. I probably spent too much time on it, it took longer than an hour!!!!

So does anyone know do we the actual results of this test? I presume there is a pass rate and that not everyone gets to the next stage?

Good luck everyone.

There's a pass rate but it's set fairly low. The issue is your Order Of Merit (OOM). If it's a high number (i.e. low down the order of merit) then it can take a long time, if ever, to get to you. Having said that they went as far down as the mid 2000s on the 2018 panel AFAIK - maybe even further.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It says in the info booklet that stage 1b, the verbal and numerical, will happen in September. Presumable everyone who did 1a gets to do 1b, and then those scores are combined to see who moves to stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Phantasos

The questions in that assessment are quite grim and negative, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Just did some practice test on shl direct it didnt go well. Not looking forward to the actual tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭divillybit

I've just done the 1a stage or whatever it's called, but just out of curiosity as I'm working in the private sector and would take a big pay cut if I actually got one of these executive officer roles as you'd be starting on 31k a year. I've been told some of these roles are quite boring, that you're told only do so much per day and no more, and that generally it's clerical officers who end up getting these executive officer roles

divillybit wrote: »
    I've just done the 1a stage or whatever it's called, but just out of curiosity as I'm working in the private sector and would take a big pay cut if I actually got one of these executive officer roles as you'd be starting on 31k a year. I've been told some of these roles are quite boring, that you're told only do so much per day and no more, and that generally it's clerical officers who end up getting these executive officer roles

Sadly there are people in the Civil Service that have the attitude of "don't show us up by working too hard". Screw 'um. Do your best but be prepared to put up with the odd waster. Generally people who have got on a bit, HEOs, APs will not have that attitude.

As for the role being boring - it's a junior role so expect quite a bit of repetitive work. It's only a starting point, after two years you can start applying for HEO when the competitions come up. If you're suitably qualified then you might consider waiting until there is an AO competition but my attitude was get in at any grade and work from there - there's nothing stopping serving Civil Servants applying for Open competitions at anytime.

As for the role being boring - it's a junior role so expect quite a bit of repetitive work. It's only a starting point, after two years you can start applying for HEO when the competitions come up.

I take it your in the civil service already. Have you had a chance to progress within it yet?

• Advertisement

I take it your in the civil service already. Have you had a chance to progress within it yet?

I'm going to go all coy now ;) as I don't like giving too much away on social media (but probably do). The answer is yes I progressed quite quickly and started off as a CO. I didn't have the qualification for AO sadly, but it's worked out okay for me.

I've had a couple of very supportive managers.

Although my role is quite dull, the actual basis of the work is quite interesting and as corny as it sounds I'm privileged to be in a position where I feel my work really does 'help'.

Advertisement