Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Nowyousaidit

I don't understand people who apply for these jobs for the sake of it and say they are going to take a pay cut and they've heard they are boring etc...why bother so?...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I don't understand people who apply for these jobs for the sake of it and say they are going to take a pay cut and they've heard they are boring etc...why bother so?...

Some people have had higher paying jobs but take a pay cut for the work/life balance (which is excellent if you land somewhere with Flexi) and the stability of a 'job for life'.

Some people have had higher paying jobs but take a pay cut for the work/life balance (which is excellent if you land somewhere with Flexi) and the stability of a 'job for life'.

I know but you also have to like/want to do the job you are applying for... Otherwise, imo it's time wasting and taking the spot of someone who would be better suited for the role

I know but you also have to like/want to do the job you are applying for... Otherwise, imo it's time wasting and taking the spot of someone who would be better suited for the role

It's pretty much impossible to know if you're going to like it or what the job is. Even in my department EOs have diverse roles, one of which is basically a glorified stock controller.

I take your point to a degree though that people should know what level their coming in at. The attrition rate through the process is massive with people giving up on it so I wouldn't worry about people that aren't committed getting spots that would otherwise go to someone who is willing to start off at this grade. Once the recruitment process trundles into it's second year you need to really want it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Once the recruitment process trundles into it's second year you need to really want it! :pac:

Is this a 1 or 2 year panel ?

• Advertisement

Is this a 1 or 2 year panel ?

TBH I don't know. I thought it was the standard two year.

It's pretty much impossible to know if you're going to like it or what the job is. Even in my department EOs have diverse roles, one of which is basically a glorified stock controller.

I take your point to a degree though that people should know what level their coming in at. The attrition rate through the process is massive with people giving up on it so I wouldn't worry about people that aren't committed getting spots that would otherwise go to someone who is willing to start off at this grade. Once the recruitment process trundles into it's second year you need to really want it! :pac:

I know of a few who have fluked their way through the silly recruitment process, got the job and decided it wasn't for them denying some more qualified the spot all because of the numbers game but hey ho such is life I suppose 😋

I know of a few who have fluked their way through the silly recruitment process, got the job and decided it wasn't for them denying some more qualified the spot all because of the numbers game but hey ho such is life I suppose ��

Hopefully they spoof their way through at the beginning and the vacancy gets filled off the same panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

TBH I don't know. I thought it was the standard two year.

The c.o is changed to a 1 year panel, but not sure about this one. Suppose it all depends where you end up on oom. If you've no hope, then youd prefer a 1 year, so you can try again next, but if your in with any chance, youd prefer a 2 year , so hopefully the panel would get down to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

The answer is yes I progressed quite quickly and started off as a CO. I didn't have the qualification for AO sadly, but it's worked out okay for me.

Once you're 'in the system' so to speak, does experience prior to entering the civil service come into consideration for any progression opportunities? Because it doesn't seem to play a part for EO recruitment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

AngryLips wrote: »
    Once you're 'in the system' so to speak, does experience prior to entering the civil service come into consideration for any progression opportunities? Because it doesn't seem to play a part for EO recruitment.

Previous experience matters for showing competencies for all roles, including EO.

AngryLips wrote: »

Your prior experience is quite important, or it was for me. My people management experience was all outside of the CS.

Edit: Now I come to think of it a lot of my examples were outside of the CS and I did quite well at interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Does anyone know what the numerical tests where like in recent years? Was it the cut-e tests that have multiple tabs and you have the options of true, false or cannot say or more like the ones on the public jobs website?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Does anyone know do they run an AO competition every year and would it be nationwide or just Dublin. Just after doing my interview for EO 2019 competition but think I went down on the last competency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Bobby2004 wrote: »
    Does anyone know do they run an AO competition every year and would it be nationwide or just Dublin. Just after doing my interview for EO 2019 competition but think I went down on the last competency.

AO competitions has ran the last two years! Both were just Dublin! (I've only followed them the last two years myself, but a search reveals older AO competitions too) They usually run end of September/start of October!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Jay328 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the numerical tests where like in recent years? Was it the cut-e tests that have multiple tabs and you have the options of true, false or cannot say or more like the ones on the public jobs website?

Revenue use cut-e test however PAS normally use SHL which is similar to that on the public jobs website.

Bobby2004 wrote: »

Civil Service Values? That's normally not very long. Just a quick waffle about serving the public and highest possible ethical standards, integrity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Civil Service Values? That's normally not very long. Just a quick waffle about serving the public and highest possible ethical standards, integrity etc.

One of the examples in that section is flexibility and openness to change.

Do you need to frame that to the public service or can you talk about your flexibility in your private sector job?

Another example is commitment to the role.

If you talk about working Christmas, bank holidays if necessary etc in your current job and things like that, is that an adequate answer or should it again be more framed towards public service?

I remember somebody saying the interviewers are just listening for key words and if you don't have them in your answer you might not pass that section.

One of the examples in that section is flexibility and openness to change.

Do you need to frame that to the public service or can you talk about your flexibility in your private sector job?

Another example is commitment to the role.

If you talk about working Christmas, bank holidays if necessary etc in your current job and things like that, is that an adequate answer or should it again be more framed towards public service?

I remember somebody saying the interviewers are just listening for key words and if you don't have them in your answer you might not pass that section.

Jesus I don't remember it being that hard! :pac: Given that I suspect I'm not the best person to answer your question.

On flexibility - now that you mention it I think that might have come up. IIRC I used an example from the private sector. I would think that is okay but I certainly didn't get a perfect score in the interview.

On commitment I think they're looking for more that you want to remain in the Civil Service and progress. In relation to the key words, I'd say it's more 'key points' and they ask probing, almost leading questions to give you every opportunity to cover everything off.

Edit: Just checked back on my results there - Self development certainly came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Jesus I don't remember it being that hard! :pac: Given that I suspect I'm not the best person to answer your question.

On flexibility - now that you mention it I think that might have come up. IIRC I used an example from the private sector. I would think that is okay but I certainly didn't get a perfect score in the interview.

On commitment I think they're looking for more that you want to remain in the Civil Service and progress. In relation to the key words, I'd say it's more 'key points' and they ask probing, almost leading questions to give you every opportunity to cover everything off.

Edit: Just checked back on my results there - Self development certainly came up.

Cheers Samuel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 lisa94

Hi guys, just wondering if you are a serving CO for 3 years and you dont meet the leaving cert higher level subject requirments do you still qualify through the interdepartmental stream? I know in the past it was just the 2 years serving CO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Dario Unimportant Sink

The part of the test with the Excellent-Bad response that we've to do by tuesday - is that the only job simulation or is there another further on in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

The part of the test with the Excellent-Bad response that we've to do by tuesday - is that the only job simulation or is there another further on in the process

There'll probably be another one called e-tray but it's a different style of assessment. Google e-trays/in-tray assessments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

I’m a CO less than a year and my officer are offering overtime but I haven’t signed up to it. Would having done it look better in the interview, or would the interviewers know if you have or haven’t taken it?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

I’m a CO less than a year and my officer are offering overtime but I haven’t signed up to it. Would having done it look better in the interview, or would the interviewers know if you have or haven’t taken it?

The only information they’d have on you from your dept is your review your team lead will have filled out. Very much like an end of year PMDS report.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I might be guilty of listening to a few too many sources. The 1a test is the Bad, God, Excellent etc rating to the work questions, correct? It also includes the questionaire on who you are and what your vales are etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ruanoc

mngc94 wrote: »
    Really? I wasn’t sure how fast this would move considering it’s specific to Irish speaking vacancies what demand there would be. Fingers crossed then there will be a good few!

I have Donegal and Dublin down. What about yourself?

I only put Galway down. I heard somebody who was 10th on the panel has begun placement process. I was 14th overall so looking good. I haven’t got a reply yet as to where I am on the Galway specific panel

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I might be guilty of listening to a few too many sources. The 1a test is the Bad, God, Excellent etc rating to the work questions, correct? It also includes the questionaire on who you are and what your vales are etc.

Yes. questions about you, your work perferences, your skills and experience alkng with the job simulation (rating the Work Scenarios).

Stage 1b will be Verbal and Numerical Reasoning tests.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Yes. questions about you, your work perferences, your skills and experience alkng with the job simulation (rating the Work Scenarios).

Stage 1b will be Verbal and Numerical Reasoning tests.

So have they omitted the test that asks you to give your answer to a situation from one of five answers (the third type of mock test in addition to the verbal and numerical?)

Also, are there mock tests available for these new Work Scenarios?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

FutureGuy wrote: »
    So have they omitted the test that asks you to give your answer to a situation from one of five answers (the third type of mock test in addition to the verbal and numerical?)

Also, are there mock tests available for these new Work Scenarios?

PAS-hosted practice assessments available here: http://www.quickstart360.co.uk/runtesteo.aspx

Advertisement