Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    PAS-hosted practice assessments available here: http://www.quickstart360.co.uk/runtesteo.aspx

Correct, but it does not have "job simulation" test there that is being assessed in the new tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Correct, but it does not have "job simulation" test there that is being assessed in the new tests?

You may be mixing your metaphors a bit. Round 1a is not an e-tray exercise where you do a literal workplace simulation. Instead it takes the format of statements that describe a workplace scenario and you're asked to choose from a selection of answers what you think is the most appropriate response. It will also feature a section with statements that you'll be asked to agree/strongly agree/disagree/strongly disagree with etc. The simulated workplace environment/e-tray type assessment happened in the latter stages in previous competitions (many did it on the same day as their interview in the 2016 comp for example).

UpBack1234 wrote: »
    You may be mixing your metaphors a bit. Round 1a is not an e-tray exercise where you do a literal workplace simulation. Instead it takes the format of statements that describe a workplace scenario and you're asked to choose from a selection of answers what you think is the most appropriate response. It will also feature a section with statements that you'll be asked to agree/strongly agree/disagree/strongly disagree with etc. The simulated workplace environment/e-tray type assessment happened in the latter stages in previous competitions (many did it on the same day as their interview in the 2016 comp for example).

I really appreciate the help here.

Round 1a in the familiarization test gives an example where you use "Excellent", "Good", "Adequate", "Weak" and "Bad" to descrieve 4 different answers to the situation. That does not sound like your example of "you're asked to choose from a selection of answers what you think is the most appropriate response". This type of example fits the examples on quickstart.co.uk.

That's why I am confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 RedBarchetta

Round 1a in the familiarization test gives an example where you use "Excellent", "Good", "Adequate", "Weak" and "Bad" to descrieve 4 different answers to the situation. That does not sound like your example of "you're asked to choose from a selection of answers what you think is the most appropriate response". This type of example fits the examples on quickstart.co.uk.

The actual test consists of three types of questions, the first set is about you and you are asked to answer by selecting A lot like me, Quite like me, Not like me etc.

The next section is questions where you answer Strongly Agree, Agree, Disagree etc.

The third and last section is workplace scenarios and you have to answer a given scenario by choosing Very good answer, good answer, adequate, weak or poor.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CucamarMor

Tomorrow is the deadline for stage 1a. Any idea when we can expect the results / confirmation of progression to next stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I'd like to be helpful to others here, but theres a fine line between being helpful and inadvertently giving someone whos yet to complete the test an advantage over most of us who have already completed it. Best of luck everyone !!!

I'd like to be helpful to others here, but theres a fine line between being helpful and inadvertently giving someone whos yet to complete the test an advantage over most of us who have already completed it. Best of luck everyone !!!

Completely understand that and wouldn't ask anything outside of clarifications of the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 WonderingJu

Does the test have to be completed all in one sitting or can I log in and out?

Once an answer to a question has been logged, is that final, or can I enter an answer, carry on with the other questions and then return towards the end of the test to review and amend some answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BhoyRayzor

I don't think there is any element really of someone getting an advantage over what they should already be able to see in their test link.

My understanding is that you can go through the whole list of questions right until the end and as long as you don't click submit you can come out and go through it again or multiple times until the deadline.

I think it saves your answer up to whatever point you come out of it but that maybe just for that session. So you could do as many dry runs as you like, think on some of the questions being asked of you if you like and do it one go then when you are in your best frame of mind.

I did mine in one go with a break before the last section as that is the toughest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 srussell91

Is it possible to be too honest on the questionnaire part in regards what kind of work you want to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

srussell91 wrote: »
    Is it possible to be too honest on the questionnaire part in regards what kind of work you want to do?

Two ways of looking at it really.

Yes: as you might come lower in the OOM because you're less suitable.
    No: as the job might not be a good fit for you in the first place and it's better to know now rather than two weeks after you're in situ.

Is your completion time factored into overall ranking position?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Wel hopefully ye have one less competing for an EO position in this competition. Got called and passed interview and just waiting to be placed. Hopefully hear sumtin in nxt few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Bobby2004 wrote: »
    Wel hopefully ye have one less competing for an EO position in this competition. Got called and passed interview and just waiting to be placed. Hopefully hear sumtin in nxt few weeks.

Congrats, sounds very positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Blueskies2019

Congrats, well done! What county were you called for if you don’t mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Does the questionnaire number given to us indicate how many people had applied, up to the time we applied? Mine is approximately 800, and I applied the day before the deadline. If so, it seems surprisingly low!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

floorpie wrote: »
    Does the questionnaire number given to us indicate how many people had applied, up to the time we applied? Mine is approximately 700, and I applied the day before the deadline. If so, it seems surprisingly low!

Dont know but, did you apply for a big or small county ?, would it be the number of applicants just for your county alone ?tbh I didnt even notice a number when I did mine

Dont know but, did you apply for a big or small county ?, would it be the number of applicants just for your county alone ?tbh I didnt even notice a number when I did mine

It's at the top of the screen when you follow the link to the assessment (even after you've finished it)..."PAS Executive Officer Questionnaire xxxx"

I applied for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

I am guessing you are referring to the previous comp and not the 2020 one?

Best of luck with the new role regardless.

Tigs

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

It's at the top of the screen when you follow the link to the assessment (even after you've finished it)..."PAS Executive Officer Questionnaire xxxx"

I applied for Dublin

I noticed my questionnaire was around 800 and wondered the same. Also Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bobby2004

Ya was in for the 2019 comp. Westmeath was county got called for. Batch 1.4 order of merit 2. Can't find out tho what batch they working off at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 srussell91

Does the questionnaire number given to us indicate how many people had applied, up to the time we applied? Mine is approximately 800, and I applied the day before the deadline. If so, it seems surprisingly low!

Mine is 820 I applied a few days before deadline, also Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

0820 refers to August 2020 I'm guessing!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

gestappo wrote: »

Yes, that’s what it stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

Is this a 1 or 2 year panel ?

The info booklet states that they do not envisage that appointments will be made from this competition after June 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

For anyone who has been successful in previous competitions - any impressions on what methodology they use for placing candidates into various departments? Is it purely on the personality test or does past experience and interview notes factor into the placement decision also?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

AngryLips wrote: »
    For anyone who has been successful in previous competitions - any impressions on what methodology they use for placing candidates into various departments? Is it purely on the personality test or does past experience and interview notes factor into the placement decision also?

Tea Leaves. It's random based on the job that comes up when your OOM is reached. Furthermore that continues on promotions unless it's a confined competition. Even then it can be a bit odd what they get people to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

It's not rocket science. Just do the test, you are totally over thinking everything. You'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

Tea Leaves. It's random based on the job that comes up when your OOM is reached. Furthermore that continues on promotions unless it's a confined competition. Even then it can be a bit odd what they get people to do.

This exactly. You're a number on a list, when you're number one on the list, the next job that comes up in the next department is yours. You may be an economics expert, tough s%!t the next job is in Agriculture, enjoy. You might have 15 years experience as an accountant, Revenue would be a good fit for you, but the next department looking for an EO in the location you specified is Transport, that's where you'll be offered and if you don't take it, you're removed from the panel for that location.

• Advertisement

gestappo wrote: »

Oh yeah :p I'm lucky this isn't the type of problems on the numerical

Advertisement