Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

cw67irl wrote: »
    I think all sections have negative marking to stop people flying through the last minures randomly clicking answers to finish the test.. the key is to work as carefully and quickly as possible without randomly guessing

I'm not convinced there is negative marking. I've recommended to a few people they answer all the questions and they've all passed afaik. I did also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

cw67irl wrote: »
    I think all sections have negative marking to stop people flying through the last minures randomly clicking answers to finish the test.. the key is to work as carefully and quickly as possible without randomly guessing

There is no negative marking

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭jonnybangbang

I'm not convinced there is negative marking. I've recommended to a few people they answer all the questions and they've all passed afaik. I did also.

I had someone recommend that to me. That at the end to just click randomly to get as many answers as possible. i was going to ask on here if it was good advice or bad? I mean if its not negative marking it would make a good strategy and just by probability you have a one in four or five chance of getting a correct answer and an extra mark?

I mean is it better to answer 10 questions and get 8 correct or answer 18 and get 9 correct?

I had someone recommend that to me. That at the end to just click randomly to get as many answers as possible. i was going to ask on here if it was good advice or bad? I mean if its not negative marking it would make a good strategy and just by probability you have a one in four or five chance of getting a correct answer and an extra mark?

I mean is it better to answer 10 questions and get 8 correct or answer 18 and get 9 correct?

Don't answer randomly. Answer C. Statistically you'll pick up a mark or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Don't answer randomly. Answer C. Statistically you'll pick up a mark or two.
    This may be a bit stupid but would you mind telling me what do you mean by ANSWER C.

• Advertisement

hillbloom wrote: »
    This may be a bit stupid but would you mind telling me what do you mean by ANSWER C.

The answers are A,B,C or D. Maybe E also I can't remember :pac:

You don't have to answer C but pick a letter and stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rusty1983

Are the results of the first round out ???

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭jules86

rusty1983 wrote: »
    Are the results of the first round out ???

I thought results weren't out until after round 1b?

No word on 1b yet - only September

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rusty1983

jules86 wrote: »

oh so is its gone back to the way the 2016 competition was ran, for the 2019 you had to pass 1a before you could proceed to 1b

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pickysue

jules86 wrote: »

Is this definitely the way they are progressing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 MuchZeus

when can we expect to be invited to complete stage 1(b)?

seems like ages since i finished 1(a). haven’t heard a pip from PAS about anything since. it’s a long arduous wait and i just want to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

MuchZeus wrote: »

seems like ages since i finished 1(a). haven’t heard a pip from PAS about anything since. it’s a long arduous wait and i just want to get it done.

One thing you’ll need to learn if you want to be in the civil service - patience. Nothing happens quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

MuchZeus wrote: »

Before the end of September.
    No rush, the 2016 CO panel was still calling people and placing them 26 months later....

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Pickysue wrote: »
    Is this definitely the way they are progressing?

I doubt that to be honest. In the second last email we got from PAS it said:

"The purpose of this familiarisation material is to help you to understand Stage 1(a) of the selection process and introduce you to the format of the Assessment Questionnaire. Work through this information carefully as it will help you understand what you have to do and what you can expect during Stage 1(a).
    Information on each subsequent stage of the selection process will be made available to the candidates who progress."

As they haven't provided information on Stage 1(b), it seems only candidates that are progressing to the next stage will be provided the information.

Also if you are required to pass all sections, it seems very unfair to ask candidates to complete the Verbal and Numerical reasoning only to eliminate them later as they didn't pass the questionnaire.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

This is a great forum. It keeps us updated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I doubt that to be honest. In the second last email we got from PAS it said:

"The purpose of this familiarisation material is to help you to understand Stage 1(a) of the selection process and introduce you to the format of the Assessment Questionnaire. Work through this information carefully as it will help you understand what you have to do and what you can expect during Stage 1(a).
    Information on each subsequent stage of the selection process will be made available to the candidates who progress."

As they haven't provided information on Stage 1(b), it seems only candidates that are progressing to the next stage will be provided the information.

Also if you are required to pass all sections, it seems very unfair to ask candidates to complete the Verbal and Numerical reasoning only to eliminate them later as they didn't pass the questionnaire.

I don't think stage 1a and 1b are considered two separate stages by PAS though... that's why the wording elsewhere indicates that both a and b will be taken into consideration together.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

AngryLips wrote: »
    I don't think stage 1a and 1b are considered two separate stages by PAS though... that's why the wording elsewhere indicates that both a and b will be taken into consideration together.

The combined scores for 1a and 1b comes into play later on. Those who dont get the minimum score of 370 in stage 1a will not progress any further. As with all PAS competitions, you have to pass all stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Govannan

Vologda69 wrote: »
    The combined scores for 1a and 1b comes into play later on. Those who dont get the minimum score of 370 in stage 1a will not progress any further. As with all PAS competitions, you have to pass all stages.

Presumably the people who don't progress would be notified of this though. Has anyone received any communication in regards to either progressing or not making the cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Govannan wrote: »
    Presumably the people who don't progress would be notified of this though. Has anyone received any communication in regards to either progressing or not making the cut?

Everyone gets a message on their public jobs account stating if they made it to the next stage or not at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Can anyway tell me, will there be similar EO roles on offer to people on the higher side of the OOM in the Dublin region, similar to the Customs/Revenue roles which are currently been offered to CO applicants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

job seeker wrote: »
    Can anyway tell me, will there be similar EO roles on offer to people on the higher side of the OOM in the Dublin region, similar to the Customs/Revenue roles which are currently been offered to CO applicants?

Are you talking about the Trade Facilitation positions?

rostalof wrote: »
    Are you talking about the Trade Facilitation positions?

Yes! That's correct. I just thought someone might have been offered it as EO last year or something and they may be reading this thread. A fair stab in the dark admittedly..

Yes! That's correct. I just thought someone might have been offered it as EO last year or something and they may be reading this thread. A fair stab in the dark admittedly..

Revenue do hire from general EO competitions, but not for customs roles. EO customs positions are applied for internally by existing staff. I left Revenue this time last year. At the time, the trade facilitation roles were CO only, hired from an open trade facilitation competition and that was a new development to meet the demands of brexit. Previously all COs in Customs were hired from existing Revenue staff also. They mustn't have had enough successful applicants as there's some discussion on the CO 2020 thread about applicants to that competition being asked to put their names forward for trade facilitation roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I left Revenue this time last year.

Do you mind me asking you why you left? And did you stay in the civil service?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking you why you left? And did you stay in the civil service?

I've been through this earlier in the thread. I've PMd you.

Revenue do hire from general EO competitions, but not for customs roles. EO customs positions are applied for internally by existing staff. I left Revenue this time last year. At the time, the trade facilitation roles were CO only, hired from an open trade facilitation competition and that was a new development to meet the demands of brexit. Previously all COs in Customs were hired from existing Revenue staff also. They mustn't have had enough successful applicants as there's some discussion on the CO 2020 thread about applicants to that competition being asked to put their names forward for trade facilitation roles.

Cheers thanks for that! Apreciate it! I wold assume that my OOM will be pretty high. So I was just wondering if I would get in that way! Sure see what happens I guess.

Cheers thanks for that! Apreciate it! I wold assume that my OOM will be pretty high. So I was just wondering if I would get in that way! Sure see what happens I guess.

As I said, EO's aren't traditionally hired for Customs from open competitions, but anything is possible these days!

As I said, EO's aren't traditionally hired for Customs from open competitions, but anything is possible these days!

Yup! Got ya! Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭westhamlady

Any tips on the verbal part of the assessment, find these hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭UpBack1234

Any tips on the verbal part of the assessment, find these hard.

My advice for this is the same as the advice I give for numerical: PRACTICE. It's the only real way of doing well in these. Assessmentday uk have a free sample test (and they sell them also). See https://www.assessmentday.co.uk/aptitudetests_verbal.htm

Do the PAS sample tests also to familiarise yourself with their test environment. See
    http://www.quickstart360.co.uk/runtesteo.aspx

The other tip I give is to read the questions first. Then when you read the passage you automatically twig the info looked for. If you read the passage first and then read the questions you'll only have to go back and re-read the passage to find the answers anyway. So read the questions first. Best of luck.

Advertisement