Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

gestappo wrote: »
    You have to be recorded so either borrow a laptop or use your tablet/phone!

I completed a different test for PAS and you had to use a laptop. No chromebooks/tablets/phones were suitable. I imagine this could be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

I completed a different test for PAS and you had to use a laptop. No chromebooks/tablets/phones were suitable. I imagine this could be the same

It states you can use tablets & phones except for Huawei phones

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Ek1313

Pickysue wrote: »
    No mention of E Tray tho

E tray is a stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just got the notification for stage 1b.
    I completed stage 1a with 15 minutes to spare on closing day, so not sure how the group texts/batches work.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

It states you can use tablets & phones except for Huawei phones

Oh that's much more convenient. I was fully bricking it for the other exam and ended up having to borrow a laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Oh that's much more convenient. I was fully bricking it for the other exam and ended up having to borrow a laptop.

You're requested to open the sample tests on the device you'll be using to ensure that all works ok, if it does then the test will be okay on the day.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Just got the notification for stage 1b.
    I completed stage 1a with 15 minutes to spare on closing day, so not sure how the group texts/batches work.

A quick read shows that you will need to film the room 360 degrees before starting, and show your face along with photo I'd, and then at other junctures during the test, when prompted.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

So are the test not going be timed as such? But your OOM will be affected by how fast you answer the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭jaffa20

You have to be recorded so either borrow a laptop or use your tablet/phone!

" Mobile phones are not to be used in the testing area at all once the exam has
    commenced."

This is all a bit confusing. Also it's a breach to glance to an area that the supervisor cannot see but you can use a calculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭336699

Just to clarify -

Stage 1(a) of the selection process comprises an Assessment Questionnaire. Candidates who complete Stage 1(a) will be invited to complete Stage 1(b) in September. Stage 1(b) will consist of Verbal and Numerical assessments.
    The combined results of these three assessments will form your Stage 1 results which will be issued at a later stage. Candidates must reach the qualifying standard in all three assessments in order to be considered for the next stage of the selection process.

Everybody who did Stage 1(a) gets invited to do Stage 1(b), the verbal & numerical assessments, even if they did not reach the qualifying standard in Stage 1(a).

Stage 2 is e-tray.

Stage 3 is interview.

Best of luck everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

A quick read shows that you will need to film the room 360 degrees before starting, and show your face along with photo I'd, and then at other junctures during the test, when prompted.

What - is this for the national and departmental EO Comp? or for a particular EO role????
    Surely they cannot ask you to video your room where you taking the test ...... I would have thought that was against GDPR guidelines...
    Will stand corrected if I'm incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Really happy they are combining 1a and 1b for the results. I never really do very well on the situational test but usually do well on the verbal and numerical. A combined score will hopefully mean I get a better placing this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭jonnybangbang

I have a desktop computer that I will be using for the assessment. it does not have a Webcam but normally I use my mobile phone as a webcam when I need to (using Droidcam). From the familiarisation material I am interpreting that I will not be allowed to do this and I will need to purchase a webcam?
    " Mobile phones are not to be used in the testing area at all once the exam has
    commenced."

But If I was to just use my mobile phone to complete the assessment, that this would be OK?
    "You may take the assessment tests on a PC, laptop, smartphone, mobile or tablet device with reliable internet connection."

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

Probably answered this question already, but just in case he hasn't...

If choosing the interdepartmental option , I have heard you don't need to do the e_tray, it is bypassed, you do the numerical and verbal reasoning but after that it's straight to interview?

Can someone confirm if this is true or false?

Thank you

Probably answered this question already, but just in case he hasn't...

If choosing the interdepartmental option , I have heard you don't need to do the e_tray. It is bypassed, you do the numerical and verbal reasoning but after that it's straight to interview?

Can someone confirm if this is true or false?

Thank you

I’ve never heard of that. I know people who had to do the e-tray this year for interdepartmental positions.

It may have changed though.

336699 wrote: »
    I’ve never heard of that. I know people who had to do the e-tray this year for interdepartmental positions.

It may have changed though.

I would think you would have to do the e_tray section. Why have two options (Interdepartmental & Open)? What's the advantages of choosing one over the other....

What - is this for the national and departmental EO Comp? or for a particular EO role????
    Surely they cannot ask you to video your room where you taking the test ...... I would have thought that was against GDPR guidelines...
    Will stand corrected if I'm incorrect.

How would filming your room breach GDPR regulations?
    Unless you spray paint your wife's PPS number, date of birth and name on the back wall :D
    You're just after filming your own face with either passport or driving licence up to your cheek to verify your identity.......

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

I would think you would have to do the e_tray section. Why have two options (Interdepartmental & Open)? What's the advantages of choosing one over the other....

I would think interdepartmental would be for those working in the service already. Like CO going for promotion. No?

Anniesland wrote: »
    I would think interdepartmental would be for those working in the service already. Like CO going for promotion. No?

I assume so Annie, just wondering if it is was the exact same tests, or as I aksed on other post, if interdepartmental somehow bypass the e_tray. It doesn't affect me personally, just curious!

How would filming your room breach GDPR regulations?
    Unless you spray paint your wife's PPS number, date of birth and name on the back wall :D
    You're just after filming your own face with either passport or driving licence up to your cheek to verify your identity.......

I don't mind filming my own face with either passport or driving licence up to my cheek to verify ID.... but why do we have to film the whole room? I don't get/understand that. :confused:

And I haven't read it/seen it where it states that you have to film your room - I may have missed that bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Fruitgum

I don't mind filming my own face with either passport or driving licence up to my cheek to verify ID.... but why do we have to film the whole room? I don't get/understand that. :confused:

And I haven't read it/seen it where it states that you have to film your room - I may have missed that bit.

So that you don’t have someone else in the room helping you maybe? It says a breech is if you look away from the screen too! Have a feeling it’s going to be awkward!

To prove there’s nobody else in the room, helping you.

Exactly, so you don't have two people looking over your shoulder ready to signal A,B,C or D to you.
    See this screenshot for the Recording bit..

io0ajeN.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Got the message just after 6pm

Exactly, so you don't have two people looking over your shoulder ready to signal A,B,C or D to you.
    See this screenshot for the Recording bit..

io0ajeN.jpg

Reading this and it makes sense especially during the C-19 and the the fact social distancing is needed.

Thank you for the update and clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

336699 wrote: »
    Everybody who did Stage 1(a) gets invited to do Stage 1(b), the verbal & numerical assessments, even if they did not reach the qualifying standard in Stage 1(a).

Seems a little redundant to me. I'd prefer to know if I failed 1(a) so I can focus on applying for other jobs rather than continue on studying for 1(b) when it makes no difference as I have already failed.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    Seems a little redundant to me. I'd prefer to know if I failed 1(a) so I can focus on applying for other jobs rather than continue on studying for 1(b) when it makes no difference as I have already failed.

:confused:

I don't think that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

MFPM wrote: »
    I don't think that is the case.

I sure hope it isn't. I got the message for 1(b) sent to me this evening. Would be a right slap in the face to go ahead and do very well in 1(b) only to then get notified that I failed 1(a) and it was all for nothing. LOL :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Will E-tray (stage 2) just be 1b (numurical & verbal reasoning tests) again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

job seeker wrote: »
    Will E-tray (stage 2) just be 1b (numurical & verbal reasoning tests) again?

Apples and Bananas

Advertisement