Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

job seeker wrote: »
    Will E-tray (stage 2) just be 1b (numurical & verbal reasoning tests) again?

E-tray is generally a work simulation stage; replying to emails, drafting a memo etc

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

W.ill we need the use of a calculator in the test. If so is it allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

hillbloom wrote: »
    W.ill we need the use of a calculator in the test. If so is it allowed

Yes it's allowed and you'll need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

For a calculator, does anyone know if using excel on the same laptop that you're taking the test on is permissible?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

AngryLips wrote: »
    For a calculator, does anyone know if using excel on the same laptop that you're taking the test on is permissible?

That would be nice but I don't believe so. It says in the booklet about the use of a calculator, nothing about Excel so assume No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭CiboC

So having a calculator on your desk that you will be looking at will be permitted - you will be seen looking down at it extensively, I suppose they will ask you to show your desk surface from time to time to ensure that is all you have there?

CiboC wrote: »
    So having a calculator on your desk that you will be looking at will be permitted - you will be seen looking down at it extensively, I suppose they will ask you to show your desk surface from time to time to ensure that is all you have there?

You have to scan the room including your desk before you start and it sets out in the booklet what your allow to have for the tests
    blank paper, calculator, and pens maybe used so please ensure they are also to hand for the assessment should you require them;
    - pg. 3

They also say that you could be asked at anytime during the test to scan the room or show rough work pages however if your mic is turn on, they will probably just listen for the tapping of buttons lol.
    A Minor Infringement is one that is deemed a low level exception. Minor Infringements may
    not compromise the test and can be rectified immediately however all minor infringements are
    logged and there is a maximum of 5 allowed.

 Leaning out of view of the camera for a moment
     Blocking the computer camera, even for a short space of time
     Commencing hand movements that could be interpreted as sign language.
     Glancing at other areas of the room that the supervisor cannot see (in this instance prior to raising an infringement the supervisor will query the candidate and ask the candidate to pan the room and in particular that area to check)
    - pg. 6

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

As the questions are adaptive testing you will be able to re-establish your previous performance rate on the next question

Looks like everyone will have different questions

doc22 wrote: »
    Looks like everyone will have different questions

It seems you only have 15 questions to complete, there is no time limit per sé however your speed will be assessed on a per question basis.

I did the practise test yesterday and the paragraphs seem to be short. It gave two paragraphs and you were asked three questions each (6 questions in total), if the actual test is the same format i think it will be quite a nice test.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I did the practise test yesterday and the paragraphs seem to be short. It gave two paragraphs and you were asked three questions each (6 questions in total), if the actual test is the same format i think it will be quite a nice test.

Think it mentioned that the numerical section will get harder or easier based on your answers, so maybe makes it an individual test for everyone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

From reading the initial email and then the info booklet I’m unsure if we are given an exact date and time of test or if we can do it anytime between the 16th - 23rd sept. Can anyone clarify please?

Due to the record and review function I’m guessing it’s an exact date & time?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭CivilCybil

gestappo wrote: »
    From reading the initial email and then the info booklet I’m unsure if we are given an exact date and time of test or if we can do it anytime between the 16th - 23rd sept. Can anyone clarify please?

Due to the record and review function I’m guessing it’s an exact date & time?

I'm not sure but I got the impression you do it yourself at a time that suits. Then then people who score high enough to move onto next stage / interview will have their recording reviewed at that point and any infractions will be noted and major infractions will result in not progressing to next step

CivilCybil wrote: »
    I'm not sure but I got the impression you do it yourself at a time that suits. Then then people who score high enough to move onto next stage / interview will have their recording reviewed at that point and any infractions will be noted and major infractions will result in not progressing to next step

But as per the booklet we might be asked to pan the computer around to show the room is empty so this is making me think we have an exact time booked for each of us? It’s confusing, and unknown!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

There'll be too many people to test to do the above. They'll only be reviewed if scored high enough(in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Anniesland

doc22 wrote: »
    There'll be too many people to test to do the above. They'll only be reviewed if scored high enough(in my opinion)

Yeah. It says that in the familiarisation material...

"Please note that Candidates who are successful at Stage 1 and Stage 2 of this competition will have their recording reviewed prior to invitation to Stage 3 Interview. If Candidates are found to have breached the Record and Review rules at any point, their application will receive no further consideration."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So can we use the calculator on the laptop? Or does it have to be a physical calculator?

AngryLips wrote: »
    So can we use the calculator on the laptop? Or does it have to be a physical calculator?

I’m guessing a physical one as going between the 2 screens might be an issue or cause an infringement

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

In the practice numerical do the mean the % of women in the previous legal question or across all the departments?

Madelyn wrote: »
    In the practice numerical do the mean the % of women in the previous legal question or across all the departments?

[]What percentage of the 45-54 age group were female?

Its across all departments:

19700/36875 * 100 = 53.43%

Which is rounded down to 53%

Hi All, I received a PM last night:

I wonder could you tell the following users that they have all received private messages from me (no name mention please!): 336699, insert_name_here 123, Aleece 2020, MFPM and job_seeker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 username insert here

I didn't receive a PM...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I didn't receive a PM...

your name is slightly different :)

Anniesland wrote: »
    Yeah. It says that in the familiarisation material...

"Please note that Candidates who are successful at Stage 1 and Stage 2 of this competition will have their recording reviewed prior to invitation to Stage 3 Interview. If Candidates are found to have breached the Record and Review rules at any point, their application will receive no further consideration."

But it also states in the info booklet:
    Glancing at other areas of the room that the supervisor cannot see (in this instance prior to raising an infringement the supervisor will query the candidate and ask the candidate to pan the room and in particular that area to check)
    Blocker Breaches:

so this lead me to believe that we will be actively monitored and given an exact date & time for our assessment.

Why all the secrecy??

Talking to an EO situated in DEASP, they mentioned the dept will be actively recruiting over 500 staff very soon. Now they didn't give me a breakdown of grades but I've always said here that a large amount from this competition will be earmarked for that dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Talking to an EO situation in DEASP, they mentioned the dept will be actively recruiting over 500 staff very soon. Now they didn't give me a breakdown of grades but I've always said here that a large amount from this competition will be earmarked for that dept.

Not everyones first choice of placement im sure

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Not everyones first choice of placement im sure

No, not at all that's why I've said it from the start so people are aware form the onset.

Now as per previous competitions, people could be lucky as a request could come in from a different dept that urgently need EOs and you could be next in line.

At the end of the day, you're just a Candidate Number being assigned to the next Dept that has a vacancy but DEASP will and do have a higher amount of vacancies.

so this lead me to believe that we will be actively monitored and given an exact date & time for our assessment.

I think I've found the answer to my own question which was - will we be given an exact date/time to sit the assessment or is it open?

My guess is an agent from the assessment company Sova will be online to monitor us and request any additional info including showing our numerical rough work, or pan the camera around the room rather than someone from publicjobs. I'm probably late to the party as I've only sat down now and read the information booklet properly. If we have any issues during the assessment we've to email the company Sova so that is why I'm guessing they'll be actively monitoring us.

Well they could also give more flexible time slots like you must complete it between 9-1 or 2-6 but I do agree it would make make sense that someone be monitoring it since its replacing the usual supervised tests.

Why all the secrecy??

He uses his real name on Boards so he sent PM's and some didn't reply. I was just asked to let them know but I don't know what he sent to the others.

Talking to an EO situation in DEASP, they mentioned the dept will be actively recruiting over 500 staff very soon. Now they didn't give me a breakdown of grades but I've always said here that a large amount from this competition will be earmarked for that dept.

Alot of department seem to operate about a 6:1 ratio CO:EO. If that was the case for DEASP, you would be looking at about 421 CO, 70 EO, and remaining 8 positions going to HEO/AP grade. Thats assuming they are new positions, and not including resignations or retirement.

• Advertisement

Thats assuming they are new positions, and not including resignations or retirement.

Talking to my AP last week, she mentioned there will be a massive surge of retirements due to corona this year and early next year.

Advertisement