Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

of department seem to operate about a 6:1 ratio CO:EO. If that was the case for DEASP, you would be looking at about 421 CO, 70 EO, and remaining 8 positions going to HEO/AP grade. Thats assuming they are new positions, and not including resignations or retirement.

Not in my experience. There roughly 3k COs and 1500 EO and another 1500 HEOs in the department. In intreo there would be a near 1:1 ratio while in back end processing 3:1pensions,DA,CB etc. EOs will either have staff responsibilities or be facing difficult customers on the front line

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

Alot of department seem to operate about a 6:1 ratio CO:EO. If that was the case for DEASP, you would be looking at about 421 CO, 70 EO, and remaining 8 positions going to HEO/AP grade. Thats assuming they are new positions, and not including resignations or retirement.

DEASP public office is 2 to 1 EO to CO and then all SWI SUI and CWO only start at EO level and dont have COs expect for a few admin. So DEASP have a large percentage of EO staff

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Is anyone else attempting to do the recording by mobile phone? Haven't got a webcam on my pc so had a mess around trying to get it set up today and have the camera under the screen pointing upwards towards where I sit. I hope this will be okay. I'm going to end up more worried about the recording rather than the tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Is anyone else attempting to do the recording by mobile phone? Haven't got a webcam on my pc so had a mess around trying to get it set up today and have the camera under the screen pointing upwards towards where I sit. I hope this will be okay. I'm going to end up more worried about the recording rather than the tests.

I don’t think it works like that. From my understanding you’ve to log into the test on the same device that they will be able to view you from.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

gestappo wrote: »
    I don’t think it works like that. From my understanding you’ve to log into the test on the same device that they will be able to view you from.

Cheers, its connected to the pc acting like an external webcam but sounds like I'd be better off getting a seperate webcam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Talking to my AP last week, she mentioned there will be a massive surge of retirements due to corona this year and early next year.

Is that just Dublin or nationwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

job seeker wrote: »
    Is that just Dublin or nationwide?

Nationwide. There are seemingly loads of civil servants up for retirement. That said at EO level some jobs will be filled by mobility so even more people will move out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EricShaw

Does anybody have any idea what happened to the Creighton Hooper Numerical, Verbal and Job Simulation tests? I see we are about to do the Sova assessments, and not them, but the publicjobs test advice page still sends you here - http://www.quickstart360.co.uk/runtesteo.aspx
    Did they change the test provider? I don't understand...

EricShaw wrote: »
    Does anybody have any idea what happened to the Creighton Hooper Numerical, Verbal and Job Simulation tests? I see we are about to do the Sova assessments, and not them, but the publicjobs test advice page still sends you here - http://www.quickstart360.co.uk/runtesteo.aspx

Seems like they’ve had to change the test provider seeing as it’s by Record and Review now and everyone will be remotely monitored.

Has anyone found similar assessment practice tests online to the Sova assessments?

Nationwide. There are seemingly loads of civil servants up for retirement. That said at EO level some jobs will be filled by mobility so even more people will move out of Dublin.

Nice! Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭CivilCybil

But as per the booklet we might be asked to pan the computer around to show the room is empty so this is making me think we have an exact time booked for each of us? It’s confusing, and unknown!

I assume that's an automated request. At a certain point the test will prompt you to span the room or similar. It'll be part of the review. I can't imagine an actual person doing it. But we'll soon know

Just while we're on that. I assume, if you have a built in webcam on a laptop. You can show the room by holding the laptopwith with the screen facing you. As opposed to holding the laptop with the screen inline with your own stance and not appearing in view of the camera, as you're standing behind the laptop?

CivilCybil wrote: »
    I assume that's an automated request. At a certain point the test will prompt you to span the room or similar. It'll be part of the review. I can't imagine an actual person doing it. But we'll soon know

Revenue have one person monitoring roughly 20ppl per online assessment so I don’t see why this new company can’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MuchZeus

Talking to an EO situated in DEASP, they mentioned the dept will be actively recruiting over 500 staff very soon. Now they didn't give me a breakdown of grades but I've always said here that a large amount from this competition will be earmarked for that dept.

any likelihood they’ll be needing tco’s? i recently got onto the panel for dublin and there’s ~300 people ahead of me. would really like to start working in the civil service soon and i don’t mind where i’m posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

job seeker wrote: »
    Just while we're on that. I assume, if you have a built in webcam on a laptop. You can show the room by holding the laptopwith with the screen facing you. As opposed to holding the laptop with the screen inline with your own stance and not appearing in view of the camera, as you're standing behind the laptop?

What happens if you don't have a webcab on your labtop?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

What happens if you don't have a webcab on your labtop?

You need a webcam afaik.

MuchZeus wrote: »
    any likelihood they’ll be needing tco’s? i recently got onto the panel for dublin and there’s ~300 people ahead of me. would really like to start working in the civil service soon and i don’t mind where i’m posted.

Absolutely needed. Yes.

ETA: But I’m unsure of the locations

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭furrybones

Anyone know if the tests can be done on Chromebook?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

furrybones wrote: »
    Anyone know if the tests can be done on Chromebook?

I did a similar test for a different competition in the Civil service very recently. Camera was on, invigilator was watching my screen, had to hold up ID to verify, pan the camera, etc.

They advised me to not use a chromebook but I'd e-mail them and ask to be sure if I were you as the testing website/format might be different for this one.

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    I did a similar test for a different competition in the Civil service very recently. Camera was on, invigilator was watching my screen, had to hold up ID to verify, pan the camera, etc.

They advised me to not use a chromebook but I'd e-mail them and ask to be sure if I were you as the testing website/format might be different for this one.

The camera works on my laptop but the sound doesn't. We probably don't need sound?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

furrybones wrote: »
    The camera works on my laptop but the sound doesn't. We probably don't need sound?

They made me have my microphone on during the previous test; I assume to make sure there was no one else in the room giving me any help/advice.

It could well be different for this one; best bet is still to e-mail and ask.

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    They made me have my microphone on during the previous test; I assume to make sure there was no one else in the room giving me any help/advice.

It could well be different for this one; best bet is still to e-mail and ask.

Sounds like emailing them is the best thing to do, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

EricShaw wrote: »

Back in May, PAS awarded a 3million euro contract for assessments to five different companies: Creighton Hooper, Savo, Savilles, SHL and Aon (aka. cut-e).

It could just be that Sova were better positioned to do the remote tests for the supervised purposes.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders/ViewNotice/230515

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭westhamlady

Do we need a webcam for the verbal/numerical or if we get called for the next stage, ?
    not finding the info booklet very clear

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Govannan

Do we need a webcam for the verbal/numerical or if we get called for the next stage, ?

I think it's pretty clear that we need a webcame for the verbal/numerical tests aka Stage 1(b). What's not clear from the instructions is whether the tests will be live monitored or simply recorded for review later. My feeling on it is that we will NOT be live monitored, as there would likely be info in the familiarisation booklet about taking the test at a scheduled time. Unless, as someone else suggested, we are given a window of time in which to take the test.

The booklet is purely for stage 1B, which is the verbal and numerical assessments, so yes you need the webcam.

Govannan wrote: »
    I think it's pretty clear that we need a webcame for the verbal/numerical tests aka Stage 1(b). What's not clear from the instructions is whether the tests will be live monitored or simply recorded for review later. My feeling on it is that we will NOT be live monitored, as there would likely be info in the familiarisation booklet about taking the test at a scheduled time. Unless, as someone else suggested, we are given a window of time in which to take the test.

I’m taking that it’ll be both live monitored and recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Govannan

Could be! Do you think they'll schedule everyone? Not exactly convenient for those who have jobs.

Govannan wrote: »
    Could be! Do you think they'll schedule everyone? Not exactly convenient for those who have jobs.

Not schedule everyone individually but give various times when someone will be available to monitor. It’s all new so I’m just guessing and going from what I’ve been told revenue do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Did it not say, they'll be recorded and reviewed later if you make it to the interview stage ? So they'll only have to look at who ever makes it that far ?

Advertisement