Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Pamelabeasley

Just got the email, planning on taking the assessment at the weekend. Would love to hear how people are finding it and getting on with the videoing. Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Just got my email. Best of luck. Might just do it tonight to get it out of the way.

Good luck with it all.

With out telling us the questions - can you please let us know what you think -ie difficult? Similar to the samples?

Anything to calm the nervous system!!

Just got the email, planning on taking the assessment at the weekend. Would love to hear how people are finding it and getting on with the videoing. Good luck everyone

I'm planning to do it this weekend as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭owen28

This is the only place I could find Sova practice tests.
    https://www.psychometricinstitute.com.au/Select-Preparation.asp?cID=49&lID=3

Costs €67 for all the tests, if anyone or group of people want to split the cost with me PM me don't really want to spend that much.

I've signed up to jobtestprep.co.uk you can find them there

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Try the link in the info booklet they sent last week!

Which I've done, but 6 questions is not enough practice.

• Advertisement

owen28 wrote: »

£39 I think? I was looking at that site but I found it a bit dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Can anyone confirm if it is it pre-recorded then? Just want to check before I try to do it at like 5am so I can ensure quiet :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭MFPM

Can anyone confirm if it is it pre-recorded then? Just want to check before I try to do it at like 5am so I can ensure quiet :P

Yeah, it has to be otherwise we'd be allocated specific times which they do for more senior roles. I'm like you, it'll be very late or very early!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Do they have Sova specific numerical and verbal?

Are they any different than the regular appitute tests?

Is it £49?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

There isn't anyone monitoring live as far as I can tell. It will record videos every so often to make sure you are on your own though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Hi all. I just got an email this evening saying that I have a notification on my account.

I can’t access it because I’m on my mobile.

Has anyone gotten something similar? Is it just saying that the Assessments can now be done?

Thanks for any info

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Hi all. I just got an email this evening saying that I have a notification on my account.

I can’t access it because I’m on my mobile.

Has anyone gotten something similar? Is it just saying that the Assessments can now be done?

Thanks for any info

It's the link to the assessments, they've to be done by next Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

MFPM wrote: »
    It's the link to the assessments, they've to be done by next Wednesday.

Thanks. Yeah I was hoping it was that

Good over by Archer who has been expensive tonight. Carey out...England to win now?

Starc hits Rashid for 6 off first ball!!

MFPM wrote: »
    Yeah, it has to be otherwise we'd be allocated specific times which they do for more senior roles. I'm like you, it'll be very late or very early!

How can it be pre recorded? Sorry if its a daft question but if we do the test outside working hours how can we be monitored? Or is each session automatically recorded whether or not you are aware?

How can it be pre recorded? Sorry if its a daft question but if we do the test outside working hours how can we be monitored? Or is each session automatically recorded whether or not you are aware?

I did a test in a previous competition and it was recorded, I was given a time and I spoke to the person at the other end of the mic, that is not happening this time so it must be recorded - we are free to do the assessment when we wish before the closing date.

I think they are all recorded and they will observe them at another point, whether they look at every single video, I have my doubts, they may look at a random selection of them and hope that the warnings are sufficient to make everyone not cheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Just did mine - found the numerical quite tough compared to the verbal. The recording is random and isnt on during the whole test.

Best of luck to the rest of you, I'd be surprised if I get called based on my numerical :D - used a calculator on my second screen fwiw

gestappo wrote: »
    £39 I think? I was looking at that site but I found it a bit dubious.

I've used this before and found it good

Do they have Sova specific numerical and verbal?

Are they any different than the regular appitute tests?

Is it £49?

Yeah the have the same type of tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just did mine - found the numerical quite tough compared to the verbal. The recording is random and isnt on during the whole test.

Best of luck to the rest of you, I'd be surprised if I get called based on my numerical :D - used a calculator on my second screen fwiw

Wow fairplay! I couldn't do it yet myself yet! I'm not in that frame of mind right now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Found the numerical very hard myself. Which I guess is a double edged sword because the questions scale up and get harder if you're doing well. I don't know think I'm just trying to keep positive because I don't think I done well on it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

Were the questions harder than the sample ones that they gave out with the familiarization material? I'd be shocked if they were not.

It did say in the booklet that the intensity of the question would increase depending on how you answered earlier on..... fair shout for doing it and getting it out of the way. I will be practicing on my numerical a good bit more - it is my weakest one.

Just in relation to the recording - when you logged in, were you prompted to show your ID and scan the room?
    And the random recording - were you aware/did you know when you were being recorded?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Hi guys,

Looking at my notes I have two different ways of calculating percentage change, can anyone tell me which is correct?

If 1586 was 9% higher yesterday what was it?
    1586 ÷ 0.91 = 1742.86

If 26.05 was 20% higher last year what is x
    X = 26.05 × 1.2 = 31.26

I've used this before and found it good

Thank you, I'll check it out

Yeah the have the same type of tests.

Do they give you feedback? Worked solutions or just the correct answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Hi guys,

Looking at my notes I have two different ways of calculating percentage change, can anyone tell me which is correct?

If 1586 was 9% higher yesterday what was it?
    1586 ÷ 0.91 = 1742.86

If 26.05 was 20% higher last year what is x
    X = 26.05 × 1.2 = 31.26

If 1586 was 9% higher yesterday - I would have thought you would multiple 1586 x 1.09 = 1728.74 (or) 1586 + 9% = 1728.74

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

If 1586 was 9% higher yesterday - I would have thought you would multiple 1586 x 1.09 = 1728.74 (or) 1586 + 9% = 1728.74

Actually it depends on the wording:

If 1586 (100%) was 9% higher yesterday, you would assume yesterday was 109%, my previous comment is correct.

However,

If 1586 is 9% lower than it was yesterday (ie. 91%), you would assume yesterday was 100%, in which case your comment was correct (X ÷ 0.91 = 100%)

The wording will impact on the answer.

Advertisement