Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Yes verbal 1st and then numerical
    Once you click on the link you received on your message board from PAS
    Just follow the instructions
    It is pretty straight forward IMO/in my experience

Thank you 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Madra Maith

Just finished the test there. Numerical test was tricky! Did anyone else have trouble with the room scan? I kept my I'd showing for too long & expected a prompt to scan the room. Only ended up getting 3 quarters of the way around... Hopefully won't be a disqualification...

Yeah, I didn't realise that you had to pan your screen after showing ID. I expected onscreen prompt so I had to close it and go back into link again to do it

Didn't enjoy the numerical either. Hard to say how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Yeah, I didn't realise that you had to pan your screen after showing ID. I expected onscreen prompt so I had to close it and go back into link again to do it

Didn't enjoy the numerical either. Hard to say how it went.

How long do you show your ID for before you scan the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭La Bamba

Like what others have said, numerical was a lot tougher than expected! But lets wait in hope and find out as its impossible to know how it went !

Anyone know when we may hear about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Dario Unimportant Sink

Just finished the test there. Numerical test was tricky! Did anyone else have trouble with the room scan? I kept my I'd showing for too long & expected a prompt to scan the room. Only ended up getting 3 quarters of the way around... Hopefully won't be a disqualification...

i did the scan around and put my id up close to the screen for the 2nd and 3rd video - i didnt like that you couldnt re do the videos..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Just finished mine. I have no idea how that went. I thought there was a lot of ambiguity in both the verbal and numerical tests where they left stuff open to interpretation. I was worried about my verbal performance because I didn't find the questions getting noticeably harder consecutively (for example the reading passages didn't increase in length etc, which is what I expected it would do if I was scoring well). There were two sections where I was required to do authentication but I wasn't sure if I needed to re-present my ID and scan the room again for these. I did so anyway, just in case, but thinking back on it now - I was sitting in a corner of the room and I didn't scan 360 the second and third time because it was just corner walls the other side. Relieved it's over and done with anyway. The questions were very vague, that's my only overriding impression.

AngryLips wrote: »
    Just finished mine. I have no idea how that went. I thought there was a lot of ambiguity in both the verbal and numerical tests where they left stuff open to interpretation. I was worried about my verbal performance because I didn't find the questions getting noticeably harder consecutively (for example the reading passages didn't increase in length etc, which is what I expected it would do if I was scoring well). There were two sections where I was required to do authentication but I wasn't sure if I needed to re-present my ID and scan the room again for these. I did so anyway, just in case, but thinking back on it now - I was sitting in a corner of the room and I didn't scan 360 the second and third time because it was just corner walls the other side. Relieved it's over and done with anyway. The questions were very vague, that's my only overriding impression.

i had that issue with the verbal as some couldve been cannot say or false...its very vague

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

Are you supposed to scan the room between the sections?

redmgar wrote: »
    Are you supposed to scan the room between the sections?

i did it for all three videos

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Autumn01

Anyone else having problems with camera/scanning the room?I had just finished the verbal and cannot get on to the next part as “Hardware Access Denied” is coming up and it won’t let me move on.I’m very annoyed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Autumn01 wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems with camera/scanning the room?I had just finished the verbal and cannot get on to the next part as “Hardware Access Denied” is coming up and it won’t let me move on.I’m very annoyed

From looking at the posts here, it doesn't seem like anyone else experienced that issue. I havn't done it myself yet, so I can't advise. What are you using for the test??

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

AngryLips wrote: »

The info booklet said it was only the numerical part that is adaptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

i did it for all three videos

Oh no, I didn't! Well that's me finished for sure so. Gutted, having got through all these tests last year to fail for this! ☹

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mollzer13

I just finished it there. I found the verbal to be much harder than I’d expected and I’m sure I want way over 15 mins for each section.
    I’m not holding out much hope now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Talks223

Is roughwork paper allowed?
    How many questions was there?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Dalio

Yes paper allowed and 15 per exwm

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

Talks223 wrote: »
    Is roughwork paper allowed?
    How many questions was there?

Yes, 15+15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I only scanned for the first video...i dont think there was a need to scan every time...they wont can you on that basis

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 48 newbraces

I only scanned for the first video...i dont think there was a need to scan every time...they wont can you on that basis

Do you mean you didn’t upload the video X3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭StevenToast

newbraces wrote: »
    Do you mean you didn’t upload the video X3?

I uploaded 3 videos but i only scanned the room in the 1st one

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

I think you only scan when prompted?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 bradley linemihler

just did it ..found the verbal vague and ended up guessing a good few of the numerical..gutted not hoping for much now..

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭CivilCybil

I only scanned the room for the first recording. The ones between verbal and numerical and the one at the end only said they were recording to verify it was you taking the test. There was no prompt or request to scan the room.
    I don't think scanning the room was required more than the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭CiboC

I only scanned the room and showed id for the first time, when specifically requested to do so.

For the two subsequent videos it didn't give any instructions to pan the room or die id again so I just sat there looking pretty until it finished!

I'm 99.9% sure that there were no specific instructions for the last two recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Madra Maith

CiboC wrote: »
    I only scanned the room and showed id for the first time, when specifically requested to do so.

For the two subsequent videos it didn't give any instructions to pan the room or die id again so I just sat there looking pretty until it finished!

I'm 99.9% sure that there were no specific instructions for the last two recordings.

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

CiboC wrote: »

No there was no requirement to show ids or rescan etc the 2/3rd time. If they wanted they should have asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

cyning wrote: »
    No there was no requirement to show ids or rescan etc the 2/3rd time. If they wanted they should have asked?

If you rescan the room without prompting, aren't you just adding to your overall time taken to complete test ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

If you rescan the room without prompting, aren't you just adding to your overall time taken to complete test ?

No it records you for 30seconds but it doesn’t ask you to rescan the room... you can’t decide to scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

cyning wrote: »
    No it records you for 30seconds but it doesn’t ask you to rescan the room... you can’t decide to scan.

What are we required to do for those 30 seconds? Can we still work away at the assessment or are we just sitting there, trying to not look awkward?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭CivilCybil

gestappo wrote: »
    What are we required to do for those 30 seconds? Can we still work away at the assessment or are we just sitting there, trying to not look awkward?

The latter :D

30 seconds of looking at the camera but not looking at the camera.
    You can't do the assessment while it's recording.

Advertisement