Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tuffyotoole

Done it today. The numerical was an epic fail for me. Guessed alot, most of my calculations didn't match the options but feck it,its done now. Verbal was OK, only time will tell now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 batteriess

CivilCybil wrote: »
    I only scanned the room for the first recording. The ones between verbal and numerical and the one at the end only said they were recording to verify it was you taking the test. There was no prompt or request to scan the room.
    I don't think scanning the room was required more than the first time.

Thank god haha. I did the same and have been secretly freaking out while reading all the comments on here about scanning 3 times. Hopefully its grand to only scan it once.

Although would be ridiculous to count people out on that basis anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

Done it today. The numerical was an epic fail for me. Guessed alot, most of my calculatIions didn't match the options but feck it,its done now. Verbal was OK, only time will tell now.

Is this the first time you have done the competition? numerical test?

I assumed the test would be the same as the practice questions we got but obviously there is no comparison. I dont think I will even bother doing it now, I have no chance.

The general consensus on here is the numerical is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

In regards of recordings and what not..
    These assessment tests are supervised via a Record and Review function. As you progress
    through the assessments you will need to record a video displaying your face alongside a
    photo ID of yourself i.e. your Passport, Drivers Licence or Public Service Card. You will also
    be asked to scan the room with the camera on the device that you are taking the
    assessments on.

The purpose of this is to verify your identity and to ensure you are completing the
    assessments without assistance. Please ensure you have your photo ID available before you
    get started. This recording will serve as an authentication check that you are the candidate
    invited to take the assessment and that you are completing the assessments without
    assistance from others.

The steps are as follows:

1. Ensure you have your valid photo ID at hand before you get started and throughout the
    assessment process.

2. Choose ALLOW to enable access to your devices camera and microphone.

3. After the 20 second countdown, the recording will begin automatically. Please ensure the
    recording clearly displays your face alongside the photo on your ID. Please hold the ID up for
    sufficient time and in such a manner that it will be clearly visible and viewable for the
    purposes of verification later.

4. You are also required to scan the room for a 360° view using your monitor / webcam to
    demonstrate that you are undertaking the assessment without the assistance of others.
    Please also scan your desk to demonstrate that it is clear of any documents, devices etc.

5. Once you have completed the authentication process, click anywhere on the video screen
    to finish your recording.

6. Finally, click ACCEPT to submit the recording and then click Next to progress.

At different intervals throughout the assessment process you will be required to
    complete further such authentication checks when prompted by the system.

So step 1 - 6 are in regards to the 360 scan of the room and photo i.d.

So I assume that the last part in bold DOSN'T require to scan the room..

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Madelyn wrote: »

I assumed the test would be the same as the practice questions we got but obviously there is no comparison. I dont think I will even bother doing it now, I have no chance.

Everyone seemed to have found the Numerical tough, you should definitely give it a go. We have no idea how it is been marked. It states on Page 5 of the Booklet "do not wait until the final hours of the testing deadline to take the test" you still have lots of time to do it & the very best of luck with it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭CiboC

What would be the point in asking you to show ID again? They already have it at the beginning so they can see it's the same person on the second and third recording...

I used to have the same point of view as yous. But I mean, then I realised what's the harm in trying? You have absolutely nothing to loose and everything to gain. I have been applying to these competitions the last few years and while I havn't got to the interview stage and secured a job, I may not this time either. However, I definitely feel that I have improved with the practice of the test.

Plus you have a great chance, as god of a chance as anyone else here! You only need to pass it also. Then stage 2 and 3 you have a better chance to get a lower oom! I advise you deffinitly give it a go! :)

hillbloom wrote: »
    Everyone seemed to have found the Numerical tough, you should definitely give it a go. We have no idea how it is been marked. It states on Page 5 of the Booklet "do not wait until the final hours of the testing deadline to take the test" you still have lots of time to do it & the very best of luck with it!!

I have been practicing and was fine or so I thought !! Im a bag of nerves now. I will practice again tomorrow , was watching you tube tutorials to get some pointers but tbh it's all relevant to the persons abilities anyway.
    What's hard for everyone else could be easy for me and visa versa.
    You are right we have no idea how it's marked. I assumed it was eight correct to pass.
    I have only done the clerical officer one and that was a good while back.

Thanks. Im feeling positive now.

CiboC wrote: »
    What would be the point in asking you to show ID again? They already have it at the beginning so they can see it's the same person on the second and third recording...

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 missie1234

Well, I just hope all my guesses were correct...

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »

I used to have the same point of view as yous. But I mean, then I realised what's the harm in trying? You have absolutely nothing to loose and everything to gain. I have been applying to these competitions the last few years and while I havn't got to the interview stage and secured a job, I may not this time either. However, I definitely feel that I have improved with the practice of the test.

Plus you have a great chance, as god of a chance as anyone else here! You only need to pass it also. Then stage 2 and 3 you have a better chance to get a lower oom! I advise you deffinitly give it a go! :)

Thank you.

It seems to be lots of graphs so I will practice and study those. I think I scared myself looking up practice tests online.
    The 5 practice ones we got on public jobs link were very easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

As far as I know my webcam doesn't swivel, so I take it scanning the room and desk means having to move the webcam in every direction!

Thank you.

It seems to be lots of graphs so I will practice and study those. I think I scared myself looking up practice tests online.
    The 5 practice ones we got on public jobs link were very easy.

No problem! :)

Yeah, I thought that too from reading the posts here.

I'm sh1ting the togs too if I'm honest. But that's only natural with things like this..

Generally the practice test do be easier. But I guess the main point of the practice tests are more to show you the type of lay out of the question etc. As opposed to the difficulty.

Connacht15 wrote: »
    As far as I know my webcam doesn't swivel, so I take it scanning the room and desk means having to move the webcam in every direction!

Yeah like 360 degrees and then show your desk..

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

I did two assessments today, one for this competition and another for a state sector role. The numerical ones were really tough for both of them. I’m pretty a little disappointed with how I performed - for this one I spent way longer than 15 minutes (at least twice that!), and in the other one I hardly completed any before my time cut out. Feeling pretty despondent.

Edit: No longer feeling despondent. Have gotten over myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Dario Unimportant Sink

Did ye put up the I’d to the screen as all I did was put it next to my face... for the 2nd and 3rd record I put the I’d up to the screen

Did ye show the working out paper? Don’t think I did ?

Edit - like it doesn’t say on the document about showing it just, in blocker breaches ‘not showing your sheet of rough work paper to the supervisor when requested’

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭CiboC

Did ye put up the I’d to the screen as all I did was put it next to my face

Held it up beside my face and leaned in towards the camera so it could be seen clearly.
    Did ye show the working out paper? Don’t think I did ?

I was never asked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Dario Unimportant Sink

Held it up beside my face and leaned in towards the camera so it could be seen clearly.

I was never asked to.

Yeah same for the rough sheet - barely used it anyway

for the Id I just went up closer to screen for the 2nd and 3rd to show it was my name after the first time I thought they might not read my name off passport and for each of them I just went around the room scanning it

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭newbie18892

Did everyone scan their room with their head in view the entire time? I've seen a few posts about it. I was going to just show my ID beside my face then slowly turn my laptop 360 degrees to show my room and then show my desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Em2157

Did everyone scan their room with their head in view the entire time? I've seen a few posts about it. I was going to just show my ID beside my face then slowly turn my laptop 360 degrees to show my room and then show my desk?

I took it as to show our face with Id, then turn camera for a full 360, then desk, then back to me... Open for interpretation though perhaps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Em2157

Wow. The numerical was harder that the AO tests I sat last year.... i passed them but dont hold out much hope for these! SOVA certainly didnt hold back. Found the verbal reasoning easier than I thought it would be- the Sova practice tests on jobsprep had me worried though. Just crossing everything that it's a lower pass grade for the numerical!

Can I just ask when you put the photo ID during the recording up to your face? Do you literally put it up beside your face. Or do you put it close enough to the webcam thus enlargening the photo so that the photo is close to your own face in size?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

Em2157 wrote: »
    Wow. The numerical was harder that the AO tests I sat last year.... i passed them but dont hold out much hope for these! SOVA certainly didnt hold back. Found the verbal reasoning easier than I thought it would be- the Sova practice tests on jobsprep had me worried though. Just crossing everything that it's a lower pass grade for the numerical!

That’s interesting you found the verbal that bit easier - How were the numerical questions in relation to jobtestprep?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

I found the numerical ok apart from the last 3 where none of my answers were the options given.i didn't bother to spend any more time on them as its a bit vague whether a wrong answer or ages to answer is the better option. The verbal I really couldn't tell. I never can in these type of things. Numerical is usually better for me although that doesn't normally get counted so is not much of a help, however I have a strong feeling it gets counted this time. If it was merely pass or fail why go to the effort of making them progressively harder or easier.
    I just walked around in a circle with the laptop all the times it popped up on screen.
    For the Id check I held it up to my face then I held it into the camera. My Id looks nothing like me anymore passport and completely different hairstyle from almost 10 years ago.

Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Anonire wrote: »
    Numerical is usually better for me although that doesn't normally get counted so is not much of a help, however I have a strong feeling it gets counted this time.

I tend to agree ...perhaps they're planning to fill many positions in Revenue from this panel

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Blarney_man

gestappo wrote: »
    That’s interesting you found the verbal that bit easier - How were the numerical questions in relation to jobtestprep?

I used jobtestprep, the real ones were way harder, my personal opinion anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

AngryLips wrote: »
    I tend to agree ...perhaps they're planning to fill many positions in Revenue from this panel

If they're counting numerical and verbal reasoning in the OOM score this time, does that mean some people will have an advantage in score already going into stage 2 if they scored higher vs. people who just passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭gestappo

I used jobtestprep, the real ones were way harder, my personal opinion anyways

:( I don't find the jobtestprep in any way easy so this isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

gestappo wrote: »
    :( I don't find the jobtestprep in any way easy so this isn't good.

I'll be doing mine this afternoon. I have been told by a few people that the test is very heavy on graphs and statistics; so not so much difficult maths by any means - but potentially very confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

AngryLips wrote: »

Revenue have their own eo panel in place and that had barely moved this year so I wouldnt think that is a conscious plan.

Ive done the revenue numerical a number of times and they are quite different tests in that there is only 3 answers, this test gave 4 options for each. Also the revenue ones if I recall were more reading financial data so true false or cannot say based on the info rather than calculations. This is calculations based.

Advertisement